SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#461951 - 11/20/18 12:03 PM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
BradgeMusicTube Offline

Isn't tipping someone in the US actually neccessary because it's basically his salary ? Since wages are still kinda low?
Here in The Netherlands people can actually earn pretty good for a living so that's why a tip normally never really exceeds $2, whil in the US it's mostly 10% of what the meal costs right?

#461952 - 11/20/18 12:10 PM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bernie, I also performed at The Fountainebleu, the one in Baltimore City. The waiters there were paid well under the minimum wage. Currently, minimum hourly wage in Maryland is $10.10, however waitstaff wages begin at $5.12 per hour.

That said, the waitstaff in many of the very upscale restaurants make as much as $1,000 a night. In those particular restaurants, the waitstaff age ranges from 40 to 60 years of age, and they pretty much consider it a lifetime job. Sure, they work very hard, they're on their feet constantly, most do not take breaks, but at the end of the night, they're able to shove a grand or more in the pocket and drive home. The lowly entertainer will likely get paid about $150 for his 4-hour performance, and with luck add another $100 in tips if they're in a tourist town. Locals rarely tip!

I enjoyed the young lady's performance that DNJ posted. Not only was she talented, but very attractive to boot. However, she was a typical example of the female entertainers I knew when I worked the nite club and restaurant circuit in Baltimore. Most, but not all, had other forms of income to supplement their musical careers.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#461953 - 11/20/18 12:39 PM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: BradgeMusicTube]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By BradgeMusicTube
Isn't tipping someone in the US actually neccessary because it's basically his salary ? Since wages are still kinda low?
Here in The Netherlands people can actually earn pretty good for a living so that's why a tip normally never really exceeds $2, whil in the US it's mostly 10% of what the meal costs right?

Generally 20% of the bill at restaurants..

Edited by Dnj (11/20/18 01:17 PM)

#461955 - 11/20/18 01:18 PM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Dnj
Of course we all love tips, gratuities, etc, But,many people detest TIP JARS in any form and perceive them as a "very presumptuous gesture" on the part of the person or establishment, who put it out. Just like a Tip jar for Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, sandwich shop, McDonalds, restaurants, or anyplace where you are supposed to be just doing your job and getting paid. When does it end?
A gratuity is the privilege of the consumer's generosity "without being baited" what's next a tip scale too 10%/20% who made these rules?.....after all the person made the choice to take the job in the first place for that salary regardless of so called tips, etc,.

Thoughts?

I totally disagree with you here.. grin

"just doing your job" shocked

Waitresses are just doing their job, that just happens to be a tip oriented job... tips are expected... the salary is a basic $2-3 dollars an hour..
Yes they have a choice, and the chosen job is a tip oriented job.. If you are good at it , congenial, courteous, efficient, you do well, if not maybe get a non tip job , like singing at a nursing home smile

My thoughts, if you can't afford or desire to tip for your service, stay home and have burnt toast with your cold coffee. grin

So let me ask you that nurses aid at the nursing home changing bedpans all day long and colostomy bags should get tips right? just saying... Hmmmmmm?

Nope!!! as you mentioned , they had a choice and decided on a salary position, that is not tip oriented.. smile

#461956 - 11/20/18 01:47 PM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
[/quote]

So let me ask you that nurses aid at the nursing home changing bedpans all day long and colostomy bags should get tips right? just saying... Hmmmmmm? [/quote]

Only the Doctors doing the circumcisions get to keep the tips. blush

JERRYGHR

#461957 - 11/20/18 01:53 PM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Jerryghr

So let me ask you that nurses aid at the nursing home changing bedpans all day long and colostomy bags should get tips right? just saying... Hmmmmmm? [/quote]

Only the Doctors doing the circumcisions get to keep the tips. blush

JERRYGHR

[/quote]

rotf2

#461959 - 11/20/18 02:09 PM Re: Sometimes a SIMPLE Stripped down version is Best! [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Back to the young singer... and her performance. With her vocal and playing capabilities... I'll be surprised if we don't see (and hear) this young lady in many big time venues in the future. To make the "package" even better, she has that "girl next door" appearance and performs with confidence. Best wishes to her for success. Let's hope she gets good management and is treated with dignity and respect... assuming she wants to be a performer.

Thanks for sharing, Donny... I'd never heard of her before... but old geezers like me are always "late for the waltz! LOL!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online