SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#453807 - 06/22/18 09:37 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

OPEN MRI next week we'll see what it shows...fingers crossed.

dave & dave sorry for your loss.

#453833 - 06/23/18 12:03 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Donny, I can only add to the many comments and emphasise (only if you have the time), Build up your leg strength prior to the op, and DO THE REHAB.
In my case and partly my fault, the importance of the rehab was not put to me post op, and eventually the surgeon put me back in for manipulation to achieve 90% bend of the joint.
Four years down the track I am rarely conscious of the implant.
It is not perfect, but it is a damn side better than when I had it done ?????

Ray (without the limp) dance

#453835 - 06/23/18 08:00 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, there are many, many non-surgical alternatives to full replacement, avenues that should be explored thoroughly before making a commitment to surgical intervention.

Keep in mind that orthopedic surgery is a big business and there are lots of orthopedic surgeons out there that recommend joint replacement when it is not necessary at that particular stage of the disease. Far too often they tend to jump the gun. The MRI will provide the correct information on this, so be sure to read the radiology report yourself before making the decision.

While I know there are several forum members here that have undergone successful knee replacements, working in the field of medicine, I got to witness, first hand, many individuals that did not enjoy the same success. Surgery is not a panacea - it's a last resort.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#453838 - 06/23/18 08:22 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Donny, there are many, many non-surgical alternatives to full replacement, avenues that should be explored thoroughly before making a commitment to surgical intervention.

Keep in mind that orthopedic surgery is a big business and there are lots of orthopedic surgeons out there that recommend joint replacement when it is not necessary at that particular stage of the disease. Far too often they tend to jump the gun. The MRI will provide the correct information on this, so be sure to read the radiology report yourself before making the decision.

While I know there are several forum members here that have undergone successful knee replacements, working in the field of medicine, I got to witness, first hand, many individuals that did not enjoy the same success. Surgery is not a panacea - it's a last resort.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Gay great advice the last thing I want is surgery or replacement of any kind...thank you for the concern and always helpful advice.

take care

#453848 - 06/23/18 11:42 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I am very happy that in my personal experience, and that of several relatives and friends, we have not come across the same doctors that Gary refers to ...
People I have been in contact with generally say that the doctor has suggested waiting and trying other remedies first ... In my case, my ortho doc even injected Synvisc - a substance made from the combs of chickens - which provided relief for about a year ... it was only when nothing else was working and the knee was affecting my way of life that he said surgery was necessary ...

And, as Gary himself has said, it has been many years (decades?) since he worked in the medical field, and - like most things in life - prosthetics and surgical procedures have steadily improved in that time ...

All this being said, Donny, get yourself at least two opinions based on the results of the MRI, and most of all remember: both pre-op and post-op, your best friend - regardless of how arduous it may be - is PHYSICAL THERAPY ...

best of luck, paesano ...

#453850 - 06/23/18 11:44 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I am very happy that in my personal experience, and that of several relatives and friends, we have not come across the same doctors that Gary refers to ...
People I have been in contact with generally say that the doctor has suggested waiting and trying other remedies first ... In my case, my ortho doc even injected Synvisc - a substance made from the combs of chickens - which provided relief for about a year ... it was only when nothing else was working and the knee was affecting my way of life that he said surgery was necessary ...

And, as Gary himself has said, it has been many years (decades?) since he worked in the medical field, and - like most things in life - prosthetics and surgical procedures have steadily improved in that time ...

All this being said, Donny, get yourself at least two opinions based on the results of the MRI, and most of all remember: both pre-op and post-op, your best friend - regardless of how arduous it may be - is PHYSICAL THERAPY ...

best of luck, paesano ...

Thanx Tony for the good words

#453852 - 06/23/18 12:36 PM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, I've only had a hip replacement but I'm sure a lot of the same things apply. From my own experience, both with DOCTORS and the procedure itself, all I can do is completely endorse what Tony has said in the above post. General, common sense advice from laymen is fine, but PROFESSIONAL advice should come from medical professionals trained in that field and with years of experience in that specific specialty. Got doubts? Do what Tony suggests; get a second (or third) PROFESSIONAL opinion. Friends MEAN well but unless that friend is an orthopedic surgeon, thank them but take their OPINIONS with a grain of salt.

Hope you come through this okay. My own knees could probably stand a little overhaul smile , and now my other hip is starting to act up. One of the compromises we make for not dying early I guess smile. Good luck. BTW, everything these guys have said about the importance of post-op rehab is true.

chas

Edited by cgiles (06/23/18 12:39 PM)

#453853 - 06/23/18 05:10 PM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Donny, I've only had a hip replacement but I'm sure a lot of the same things apply. From my own experience, both with DOCTORS and the procedure itself, all I can do is completely endorse what Tony has said in the above post. General, common sense advice from laymen is fine, but PROFESSIONAL advice should come from medical professionals trained in that field and with years of experience in that specific specialty. Got doubts? Do what Tony suggests; get a second (or third) PROFESSIONAL opinion. Friends MEAN well but unless that friend is an orthopedic surgeon, thank them but take their OPINIONS with a grain of salt.

Hope you come through this okay. My own knees could probably stand a little overhaul smile , and now my other hip is starting to act up. One of the compromises we make for not dying early I guess smile. Good luck. BTW, everything these guys have said about the importance of post-op rehab is true.

chas

Thanx Chas

#453860 - 06/24/18 08:26 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: travlin'easy]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Good luck,

Gary cool

I think that is some fantastic advice! Surgery should indeed be the last resort.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online