SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#464240 - 01/06/19 12:56 AM Re: Software and hardware integration [Re: Torch]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bachus
On the pc side, are all VSTs, including sample libraries, VST hosts like GP, opened and run inside of a DAW like FL Studio? I already had these apps on my i7, 7200 Asus, but my HDD has only 80 gb available. I bought an SSD ext drive.
The problem may be that I got the cart before the horse, in that I should have the libraries in the SSD and the programs in the pc. Now I have an empty exterior drive and limited capacity remaining on the Asus.

To be realistic, I have 4gb RAM, but won't be loading 16 tracks with effects that would max it out. If I put a DAW in the Asus, does it matter where the libraries reside. I am just trying to look ahead before I get into a real mess.

#464242 - 01/06/19 02:17 AM Re: Software and hardware integration [Re: Torch]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Libraries are best kept on a separate drive from the program drive; if your computer has a least USB3 then you can use an external USB3 SSD which will also be able to stream the samples without problems.
You don’t need a DAW to use plug-ins as there are a number of VST Hosts out there that can host them, however if you already have a DAW that can host them, then it is pointless adding extra complications.

Bill

#464245 - 01/06/19 06:39 AM Re: Software and hardware integration [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Bachus
On the pc side, are all VSTs, including sample libraries, VST hosts like GP, opened and run inside of a DAW like FL Studio? I already had these apps on my i7, 7200 Asus, but my HDD has only 80 gb available. I bought an SSD ext drive.
The problem may be that I got the cart before the horse, in that I should have the libraries in the SSD and the programs in the pc. Now I have an empty exterior drive and limited capacity remaining on the Asus.

To be realistic, I have 4gb RAM, but won't be loading 16 tracks with effects that would max it out. If I put a DAW in the Asus, does it matter where the libraries reside. I am just trying to look ahead before I get into a real mess.

I have 32 GB of memmory in my mac mini..
Some vst’s really need a lot of memmory..

In general vst sounds dont reside in memmory
They are loaded every time they are needed..
There are many hosts that can be set to preload from a setlist.
(Also free hosts for windows)
So there is allways a few patches on your list in the memmory
So you don’t get delays loading those vst as you choose a new one..

I think 4GB is under the minimum advised for running basic vst’s (8GB)
So this might interfere with preloading
Also some vst’s like uhe stuff and omnisphere/keyscape require 16Gb to work fine

http://keyszone.boards.net

#464248 - 01/06/19 08:29 AM Re: Software and hardware integration [Re: Torch]
Bernie9 Offline

With the light work I would be doing,4GB is going to have to suffice, with swapping, if necessary. My Asus has 4x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up tp 16GB, however I will have to get my feet wetter before I do. Once I find it is worth it, I will.

Bill, thank you for the tip on DAWs. I have Gig Performer as a vst host, and a setlist of Kontakt4,Halionsonic, and even BIAB as vst's. I have Cakewalk by Bandlab, but haven't gotten around to using it. I am probably wrong, but I thought you had to integrate everything in a DAW to produce midi sequences. Maybe not, after all.

I can't get it through my head, the relationship of a DAW to vst hosts, vst support at all,midi, and sound libraries.

This stuff ain't for the faint of heart, but I will soldier on.

Thanks gentlemen

#464281 - 01/07/19 05:23 AM Re: Software and hardware integration [Re: Bernie9]
gigperformer Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9

I can't get it through my head, the relationship of a DAW to vst hosts, vst support at all,midi, and sound libraries.

Any program that can open a VST can be considered to be a "host".

A DAW is designed around recording what you play on to multiple tracks which can be played back, edited and mixed to create a final song. You can typically record either audio or MIDI data. When you use the latter, the MIDI data can drive VST plugins or other external MIDI synths. You typically deal with one song at a time.

A live performance application such as our Gig Performer will host plugins but the focus in on, well, performing, rather than on recording/editing. The needs of a performer on stage are generally very different than what's needed in a recording environment.

If you're a guitarist, you might use Gig Performer along with a collection of effects plugins (e.g., TH3, BIAS, S-Gear, numerous amp/cab modelers) instead of carrying around pedal boards and amps. A vocalist might use compressors, reverb/delay, EQ and so forth. Keyboard players will typically use synth plugins and effects. But in live performance, the requirement is the ability to switch instantly from one set of sounds to another, turn on/off effects on the fly, switch from a piano to a piano partially layered with strings with perhaps a lead synth on the top octave and then back to a Rhodes piano a moment later, perhaps while still sustaining notes from the previous sound.

Very often, you're following a setlist and so you need to be able to switch from one song to another instantly, there's no time to load a new "session" with a different configuration.

Dr. David H Jameson
Co-founder, Deskew Technologies, LLC
http://gigperformer.com
Cross-platform audio plugin host for live performers

#464310 - 01/07/19 02:24 PM Re: Software and hardware integration [Re: Torch]
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you Dr. Jameson for the clear and succinct answer. Since I am a live gig player, albeit new to VST's. As far as GP is concerned, it doesn't look like I need a DAW. For other things mentioned, perhaps. Gig Performer is great asit is, so there is no sense in complicating it.
Bernie

#468655 - 04/14/19 04:39 AM Re: Software and hardware integration [Re: Bachus]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By Bachus
The biggest question for the ios version of camelot is do they plan support for arrangers like genos and pa4x?

Another important thing would be support for uadiobus 3.

Has there been update along this train of thought from Camelot people?

Also, is anyone using this software on a PC platform yet please, just for feedback, cost and usage?!

Allan

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online