SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#441367 - 11/24/17 01:06 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By keybplayer
Greetings every one. I hope everybody had a nice thanksgiving day with family and friends. Well guess what? I went ahead and bit the bullet and decided to purchase the Genos. I picked one up last Sunday at GC. They had a special customer appreciation day and they had another special discount going on so I was able to save quite a bit off the minimum advertised price.

So how does it stack up against the competition? Well, I have to say, the Genos is a step above every other arranger I've ever listened to over the years. Although I haven't played a Korg Pa4x in person the demo's I've listened to of the Pa4x sounded pretty good. But I think the Genos after, having played it, is a cut above the rest in my opinion. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the new OS and menu screens but it's pretty straight foreword and quite frankly fairly easy to operate. I updated to the latest OS but after having done that I noticed the "auto" shut off no longer works. I read were others were having the same experience after updating to the latest OS. If Steve Deming reads this hopefully he can relay the message to the proper authority regarding this glitch. If you don't mind Steve. wink

I can carry the Genos under one arm with relative ease. The 76 keys is an added bonus and an almost must have for piano style playing with its 15 additional keys offering a more expanded repitoire with more flexibility. The new touchscreen is a real beaut and easy on the eyes too. One thing I've noticed though is it leaves smudges where you place your fingers and in which I need to wipe away on occasion. No biggy and that's obviously a small price to pay for the wonderful instrument that it has turned out to be. cool

I'm telling you straight up the styles have been completely reworked and sound superb especially through my Mackie HR824 mk2 near field monitors. The actual keybed feels slightly stiffer than my Tyros 3 keybed (which is a good thing) even though they supposedly have the same FSX keybed. Oh, and I checked out the vocal harmony on the Genos and it is better than I thought it was going to be. Below I posted the same song "On The Road Again" but this time using the Genos VH. I even used an inexpensive mic (not the Shure SM58 or the Shure Beta 87A - which quit working properly so I had to toss it). You be the judge on whether it sounds 'up to snuff' or not.

And just for fun I did a recording of a song called "Eye of the Tiger" by the band Survivor. All the music you hear is from the Genos. The Grand Piano you hear is the C7 Studio Grand. The Drum Kit is the REVO Vintage Open Kit. There is a 60's Vintage MegaVoice guitar, a Slap Amp MegaVoice guitar, 50's Vintage Pick MegaVoice guitar and the Active Bass Pick Hmron MegaVoice guitar used. The vocal is not me as you will obviously realize. It is actually Dave Bickler, the lead singer of Survivor. Just think of it as Dave Bickler coming over to my house and singing the vocal part on top of the music part orchestrated by the Genos. I hope you enjoy it. That's why the Genos is such a great keyboard especially if you are a singer/songwriter. You can achieve "professional" results but obviously the cost of the Genos is a big factor in the grand scheme of things. To those who can afford it it really is a great sounding arranger and one that has almost endless possibilities. Have a great weekend!

Nice job thanx for sharing your works sound terriffic congrats on your new kb...more more.. clap

#441369 - 11/24/17 01:27 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Wow the VH sounds good in the tune! How you you put the singer in the song? Obv purchase Vocal only from somewhere? Then apply it somehow to played chords backing. Nice post but still too expensive at this time for me. Enjoy

#441372 - 11/24/17 02:38 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I've had it for a week and it continues to amaze me in terms of the sound quality and user friendliness. I've come from a PSR-S950 but I've had Tyros in the past and I actually swapped out a Kronos AND Montage for Genos. I do not regret for one minute! The voices alone on the Genos are first class, even coming from a Motif and Montage, the orchestral and acoustic sounds are the best I've heard on a keyboard. The acoustic guitars are a delight to play, and the strings are plentiful. The new realtime control section is one of those features that you wondered how you ever managed without it, and as I mentioned the operating system is extremely user friendly and intuitive. Of course we all have different requirements and priorities when it comes to a keyboard, I've had Yamaha arrangers for over 20 years and although for a while I did move to separate synths and plugins, personally I find the arranger a very creative and entertaining tool as a solo user. Previously my decision to move to other synths was due to quality, one of my priorities has always been very expressive high quality instruments that are very playable and inspiring. I've found over the years that I didn't actually delve into the menus and editing features of these top boards from Korg and Yamaha, instead I tended to use the presets so for me a preset arranger board seems perfect. As for styles, I need flexibility in so much as being able to pull apart styles and create my own less busy backings, but at the same time have quality varied backings that can entertain and inspire me when the need arises. The Genos styles are really different to what I've experienced on previous arrangers from Yamaha, they really have reworked them and they sound a lot more "natural' and real, less canned. Of course there are many I won't use, but there's a good smattering on offer. I would say though its worth putting the styles to one side and just appreciating how good the quality of the voices on offer are. Actually with the new arpeggios, the recorder, the really powerful ensemble voices and the 76 note keyboard with split and layers you can really achieve some amazing sounds. I would suggest trying to get a hands on but take a good pair of headphones. There are lots of videos on Youtube, I've created my own playlist of the better ones (look up midinotes) which persuaded me to order it blind. Be careful not to get taken in by a few songs that fit the new styles well, these can soon sound tired as I've noticed lots of users on youtube play those same songs with the relevant styles. Personally I like to pull the styles apart and try and use them in different ways, see how well you can play songs that don't necessarily fit into the obvious choices. Hope my rant is of some use, more than happy to answer any questions you may have about Genos.

Kind regards
Simon

#441374 - 11/24/17 03:32 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Nice user Demos on the Genos! The VH is just cool to use once in awhile. I have used a harmonizer since 1992... DigiTech VHM5. The TC one in the Pa4X is fantastic but I don't use it enough to have it as a deal breaker.

Those DRUMS on the Genos are fantastic everytime I hear them!!!

If I sell my Pa4X-61... Motif ES7... Korg O1W/fd... Korg Wavestation EX... Korg Triton Studio... and 3 midi controllers, I should have enough for the Genos and a case!!! Plus, I'll gain much needed space in my studio!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#441377 - 11/24/17 03:54 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: shueymusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By shueymusic

If I sell my Pa4X-61... Motif ES7... Korg O1W/fd... Korg Wavestation EX... Korg Triton Studio... and 3 midi controllers, I should have enough for the Genos and a case!!! Plus, I'll gain much needed space in my studio!!

Just make sure they don't ask for your WIFE in the deal ... laugh2

#441378 - 11/24/17 04:00 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
keybplayer
Mike ... I really enjoyed the demos ... that was a cool style for "On The Road Again" and those guitars sound pretty darn good ...
thanks

#441383 - 11/24/17 05:17 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike, really enjoyed the songs your recorded on the Genos. The styles sound superb, the vocals were crisp and clear and the vocal harmony was excellent quality with no distortion.

Keep em coming,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441398 - 11/25/17 06:04 AM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: shueymusic]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic

Nice user Demos on the Genos! The VH is just cool to use once in awhile. I have used a harmonizer since 1992... DigiTech VHM5. The TC one in the Pa4X is fantastic but I don't use it enough to have it as a deal breaker.

Those DRUMS on the Genos are fantastic everytime I hear them!!!

I think if i sell the pa4x 76, a Kronos 88, and the Kurzweil pc3x standing in the coner, i still fall €100 short...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#441399 - 11/25/17 07:22 AM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
When you got the BUCKS! you get a GENOS

#441403 - 11/25/17 10:46 AM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Yeah I was kind of surprised with the Genos VH2 too. It sounds cleaner and more natural to me than the previous VH1 found on the Tyros 1/2/3. I'm sure the new and improved Digital to Analog Converter on the Genos plays a part in the better sound but Yamaha would have to confirm that.

The touch screen is very interesting. It's huge and easily readable and the touch function itself works as advertised. Ha! I made sure my hands were clean before I started playing the Genos so it appears it's highly sensitive to a person's natural skin oils. I noticed if you rub the screen you can tell there is a film material on top of the glass underneath to obviously help protect it from damage. A clean cloth seems to work okay. I use a soft cloth made for cleaning sensitive equipment like a TV screen.

Yes jingleman that really was Dave Bickler from the band Survivor. cool

One of the greatest improvements regarding the Genos versus the Tyros line is the new Revo! Drums needless to say. They sound awesome and possibly better than the drum kits on the Montage and that's really saying something. The Genos performs more like a traditional workstation keyboard as far as quality of sounds and advanced features. Yamaha seems to be getting serious regarding how people perceive their high-end arranger products. In the past arrangers were known for being 'toys' but that inclination has surely changed in the last few years and the Genos is now the icing on the cake at least in my estimation any way.

PS: I read the specifications in the Genos manual and Yamaha says the polyphony is 256 max without any asterisk to say it's divided up into two sections. I wonder why Yamaha says 256 max in the manual (with no clarification) whilst their actual website gives an asterisk stating 128 note polyphony for the preset voices and 128 note polyphony for the expansion voices? If I didn't know better after reading the manual I would assume the Genos has 256 note polyphony allocated across the entire range of the keyboard instead of being divided up into two sections like Yammie's website states. They should be consistent in what they print otherwise people might get confused regarding the true nature of the specifications. frown Maybe Steve Deming could shed some light on this issue.

All the best,

Mike

Edited by keybplayer (11/25/17 10:46 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online