SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#439550 - 10/21/17 04:48 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Gary I hope you get relief got Genos sitting next to me great unit all those guys saying stuff about it got no idea what this thing can do.

haters if you guys love Korg then love it.

but saying this is a a bad unit is simple crazy .

I this it great and will sound great with it

and that all that really matters

Gary 28lbs and 76 keys

may i say anything more yes I can it sounds Great.

#439553 - 10/21/17 07:53 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks guys, for the well wishes. Tonight, I cleaned the family room, vacuuming floors, both carpeted and tiled, then cleaning some spots off the carpet with LA Absolutely Awesome Cleaner that I purchased at the Dollar Store - incredible product. It took me 2 hours to do a 30 minute job because my back pain was so horrendous that I had to frequently stop, go on nasal oxygen and sit in a recliner with a heating pad on my back. Later, I had to pop a Morphine, which I hate to do, and washed it down with 12 ounces of Jim Beam Honey Bourbon. Now, I'm groggy as Hell, but still semi-functional, kinda like I was when I was an 18 year old kid in the Navy and on liberty in Barcelona, Spain where a 20 ounce beer was about a nickel in US currency. Oh my, that was sure a fun time in my life.

What I find amazing about the Genos is the incredible sounds/voices - they are so realistic. What I also find amazing is the number of individuals that claim it's an overpriced piece of junk when they know absolutely nothing about it. Sure glad I drink good booze. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439559 - 10/22/17 12:00 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: travlin'easy]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I really don't understand those on this forum that think $4,500 is a lot of money for a TOTL arranger keyboard. These are the same folks that don't blink to spend $45,000 on a new car, their wives spend $5,000 on an air bed that tilts, shell out $4,000 a year for lawn and garden services, pay $350 a month for condo fees, climb aboard a cruise ship with their spouse for a week and shell out $2,500 for fattening food and a small cabin, plus a booze bill of $1,200, and the list goes on. The cost of a Genos is chump change by comparison, especially for something that can not only provide you years of entertainment, for some of us, it could produce a damned good income for years to come.

Give me a break! smile

Gary cool

Gary I always listen carefully when you comment on music matters because it’s usually based upon years of real world experience . But the cost of a top of the range arranger is a real impediment to the purchasing decision for most musicians period . They don’t buy expensive luxury cars or go on Luxury cruises .

I visit many music forums and actively converse with many musicians across the world and face to face in real life in the uk . There is absolutely no question that the price is an impediment to the purchase of the Genos .

Maybe only the richest 1 percent of musicians visit synthzone .

Arrangers are expensive tools and Yamaha typically charge sometimes over £1000 more than the competition for their top of the line latest iteration of mostly the same thing they put out 3 years earlier . They can charge these prices because there are sufficient people willing to pay it that overlap the demographic you described above . But the new market they appear to be after are song writers or people who aspire to be songwriters and producers . The cost of a single genos as a music creation tool is likely to exceed the total cost of every piece of music equipment a typical aspiring song writer owns including their hands !!!! ! Now that might be a slight exaggeration 😁 but you can understand my point , £4500 is a big deal period . Let alone for the average song writer or gigging musician .

#439586 - 10/22/17 07:24 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary - TWELVE oz of bourbon??? Yikes. I never drank that muck straight alcohol in one shot ever. That'd lay me out for the night, and maybe longer!
(I'm such a lightweight, where drinking is concerned)

#439595 - 10/22/17 08:27 AM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
travlin'easy Offline

Spalding, I really don't personally, know any singer/song writers, other than the few here on this forum, and some other forums. So I cannot address their income levels. However, 90 percent of the arranger keyboard players I know personally probably have sufficient discretionary income in their checking account to just write a check for the Genos and never look back. This is because the majority have other forms of income and only a tiny fraction of them rely on music for their sole source of income. I suspect, though, that by and large, singer/song writers are a very, very small group of impoverished, very talented individuals worldwide. I could be wrong, though. smile

If I were to consider a Genos, it would be purely as a business decision, though I am very excited about the new and improved voices/sounds I've heard and how the styles are treated in interfacing these new instruments. If I were 20 years younger, and still out there performing 7 days a week, plus some nighttime jobs, the Genos would be a top contender when my PSR-S950 wears out. This, of course, would be a capital expenditure for the business, therefore, allowing me to deduct the expense on my business, income tax return. Believe me, the Genos would readily earn it's keep for any gigging musician, and I think it would for a music producer as well.

Dave, Jim Beam Honey Bourbon is only 70-proof, not very strong when it comes to whiskeys. I have not been plastered since I was a very young man, and don't intend to ever be that way again. Sometimes, though, the combination of pain killer drugs and booze helps take the edge off the back pain, but never really takes it away. The bourbon acts as a muscle relaxer, which is what is needed with back pain resulting from nerve root compression due to adhesion. The pain is sometimes so excruciating that it results in partial paralysis of my right leg. Besides, the bourbon tastes good, too! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#439605 - 10/22/17 12:57 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
the combination of pain killer drugs and booze helps take the edge off

I never liked the way I felt when I "took the edge off". Even after my 2 recent surgeries, I opted out of the narcotics. I just don't like the way they make me feel. As for the booze - I started singing in bars, with 30 year old bandmates, when I was about 16, and I saw the effects that the booze had on the crowd, and the band. That's when I decided that it wasn't going to be a part of my life, especially my on stage life. C'mon ... I mean, how many other people pour a drink as soon as they get to work? smile
I realize my opinion is very much in the minority, and my business would suffer greatly without the sale of alcohol, but geeze - I don't get it. It's just not my cup of tea. Actually, TEA, is my cup of tea.
Drink up, my friend ... 'sall guud

#439607 - 10/22/17 01:27 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
travlin'easy Offline

I never drank on the job, Dave - always thought that was really dumb on the part of the entertainer. The best entertainment I had as a performer was to watch the drunks in the crowd - now that, sometimes, was very entertaining. wink

I don't like the way morphine makes me feel, drowsy, half asleep, but it does a good job in reducing the pain, which is what it was intended for. You really don't get high with morphine, but I guess some folks think they are when they take enough to kill them. It is not a stimulant, but instead, a suppressant, which is just the opposite. I never could quite understand why people got hooked on morphine - did they want to just be semi-conscious or comatose? eek Never made any sense to me at all.

I do enjoy the taste of Jim Bean Honey, though - great tasting bourbon!

All the best,

Gary cool

#439616 - 10/22/17 03:54 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
124 Offline

I'd have a pint of light and bitter in the interval back then. Mind you, my bladder could hold it through the second set in those days. smile

#439617 - 10/22/17 05:05 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
travlin'easy Offline

Unfortunately, when you grow older, you end up with a one beer, or cup of coffee, bladder. Anything beyond that instantly must be excreted immediately upon urge. Don't ask me how I know this! wink

Good luck,

Gary cool

#439625 - 10/22/17 07:53 PM Re: Sadi - Yamaha Genos Session Vol. 1 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
124 Offline

Okay, I won't ask then. smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online