SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#439257 - 10/17/17 10:38 AM What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I would like to start making some videos on the keyboard with couple cameras, one from above the keyboard, and other perhaps showing either a close up or only the main keyboard screen so you can see what style or voices are been use, etc.
Is important to be able to see the keyboard panel, no just the keys....so, I need a video camera that can make some close up to a certain area on the keyboard panel clearly.

Also want to record the audio direct, I am very familiar manipulating audio programs like Sound Forge, Audacity, Cool Edit Pro-Adobe Audition...etc....So the sync of the video to audio it is not an issue.....simply I can either use digital recorder to record in stereo, And use software that allows you to sync the video with the better audio recorded with programs such as Camtasia(PC or Mac), Sony Vegas( I think for now only PC), etc...

The part that I am not familiar is the video cameras...I have known that some people that made some of these videos are using the GoPro4-5, others a Nikon Cool Pix, Cannon, etc....there is one Zoom Q8 that has stereo line inputs, but has a very low resolution and is wide angle.....

I really appreciate any suggestions, tips, etc....mainly on the video area.

Thank you in advance...

Manuel

#439260 - 10/17/17 10:52 AM Re: What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos? [Re: mdorantes]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a Go Pro, one of the less expensive models, with no external audio input, and I absolutely love the quality of the video. The big thing with the Go Pro is you will never be out of focus because of the super wide angle lens. You can go from close up to infinity and still be in focus - neat feature. Of course, that wide angle lens also allows you so be relatively close to the keyboard with the camera and still have the entire keyboard in the fram and in perfect focus. I paid about $149 for my Go Pro Hero on Amazon and purchased an accessory kit from another online site for under $20 that included a great carry case, headband, chest band, selfie stick, suction cup mount and a couple stick on mounts. All of it looks and works just as good as the high priced kits you purchase from Go Pro.

Have fun,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439269 - 10/17/17 01:59 PM Re: What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos? [Re: mdorantes]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The sound on the Zoom Q2n is better than most. I t also has a wide angle lens, so you can get close, and not miss much. I love mine.
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording/zoom-q2n-handy-video-recorder

#439275 - 10/17/17 04:30 PM Re: What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos? [Re: mdorantes]
travlin'easy Offline

Dave, how about posting something with you on stage. I noticed it has a direct, audio input, which would be great for recording music and not having to worry about outside noises from room echo and crowd noise.

All the best,

Gary cool

#439288 - 10/17/17 10:40 PM Re: What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos? [Re: mdorantes]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary, That's on my "to do" list very soon. I started recording my Friday and Sunday night guest singers, so I can gift them with a CD as thanks for the support each week. My plan is to set up the Zoom in a corner, and use the line in. Soon.

#439327 - 10/18/17 09:31 AM Re: What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos? [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
If you're serious about producing near broadcast quality, look at a Cannon XA10. It's about $1100.00, but used as a 2nd unit on many top shelf productions.

For editing, There is a monthly service that costs about $30.00 a month. It is continuously updated, so you can use the ever evolving list of effects, etc. It's Adobe Creative. Email me privately for the contact.

This, a little practice, talent and patience on the audio and visual side and you're in the $500.00-$1,000.00 finished minute category.

As recently as 3 years ago, what you can do with about $5,000.00 of equipment would have taken over $200,000.00. And the resolution is much better.

As with audio, if you don't have the right input, the output won't be much.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (10/18/17 09:32 AM)

#439330 - 10/18/17 09:52 AM Re: What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos? [Re: mdorantes]
travlin'easy Offline

Wise words from a guy who works with this kind of gear every day.

When I first got into broadcasting, which was about the same time John Paul Jones joined the US Navy, we hoisted massive, very, very expensive, Ichagammi TV cameras onto tripods, (and our shoulders) to cover sporting events and studio newscasts.

Today, the viewfinder of those old cameras was larger and heavier than some of the high resolution cameras I've seen online. It is absolutely amazing how far video production has advanced in three decades, and equally amazing is the smart phone technology and the onboard cameras someone can have at their fingertips of their cellular telephones.

Looking forward to your videos, Dave.

All the best,

Gary cool

#439351 - 10/18/17 12:27 PM Re: What video cameras/Gopro to make keyboard videos? [Re: travlin'easy]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Thank you guys....

Manuel

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online