SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#437542 - 09/15/17 10:06 AM Re: Arranger keyboard or..... [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas has a valid observation, I think, not just about keyboards. I make my living in commercial recording, live performance, publishing, video production, still photography and creation of various electronic media productions.

Literally everything I do involves the use of tools that have become increasingly more "automated", so to speak. The portastudio I use for roughs almost runs itself. If I want Steely Dan's mix from Cousin Dupree, it's available. Cameras not only can be set to auto focus, but to default to certain speeds, ASA settings, depth of field and more.

The parallel to arranger keyboards is eerie.

But, guess what? Someone has to input the information. Bad players don't sound as good as good players on arrangers or anything else. The photos from a home shooter won't be as good as those from a seasoned pro.

And on and on.

Things are so complex that, if I took the time to learn everything I need to know to get the most out of the equipment I use, I'd have no time to work.

Lots of people have been afraid of 'losing it" to technology and automation. Even in the late 80's a jungle package around here cost a minimum of $3500.00. Then, people with a $500.00 "all in one" began offering a similar product for $500.00. Lots of my friends were worried.

Same thing with desk top publishing. All of a sudden, IT people became designers.....NOT!

Again, what I always say is use technology (arrangers, auto focus cameras, harmonizers, etc.)as tool, not crutches.

The good news: I never lost a dollar of business to anyone due to a technology issue.

Good topic, Chas.

Edited by captain Russ (09/15/17 10:09 AM)

#437544 - 09/15/17 10:56 AM Re: Arranger keyboard or..... [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437688 - 09/18/17 09:13 AM Re: Arranger keyboard or..... [Re: cgiles]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
The technology has had varying economic impact as well. Many a studio instrumentalist or orchestra has been replaced by a string sound or other from a synth keyboard with sampled or electronically created sounds. Even musicians unions couldn't stop this.
Performers with mediocre instrumental or vocal skills who can rock clothes or dance moves are vaulted to stardom made to sound good by sound engineers in the booth. Seems to be a new one every month. And they make millions in a short time, then get pushed aside by the next one.
Some performing bands play live but record with substituted studio musicians for their polished album tracks. These guys never get to go on the tours or get residuals or the big bucks.
Then there's Milli Vanilli...

#437695 - 09/18/17 11:39 AM Re: Arranger keyboard or..... [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437741 - 09/19/17 09:01 AM Re: Arranger keyboard or..... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sparky is right. I have played at least 100 dates in the studio for national groups you all would know. Funny thing: some of the guys I play for kill live, but just can't cut it in the studio.

R.

#438356 - 10/02/17 07:21 PM Re: Arranger keyboard or..... [Re: cgiles]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Anyway, my 2 cents worth ( and only my opinion), No one made any of us use these machines, we chose to. It is a life style thing to most if not all of us. It is convenience and usefulness of the keyboards we chose to buy. If we didn't we would all be lugging around Steinways or Hammonds in trucks and been in wheel chairs since( due to back backs) lol. Plus we would be at the mercy of drummers, guitar player, and other roadies egos ( and not just our own).

For one, I am glad to have these Rhythm maker keyboards, or Swiss Army Knives boards, that do OUR bidding and that WE are in charge of. Not the other way around. You can use as little or as much as you like, and that's the beauty of these things.

It is like having a F-35 but not flying it at it's top speed of around 1200 mph - but you know you can any time and any where. Same with some of these boards, they can blow the pants off other players ( with the right musician behind it); but you don't need to do that all the time. You become the whloe band and at any time a soloist of any instrument.
These things amaze me all the time, they bring a new one out, as they add a little bit more each time. Forget the, what if it had this or I want more attitude.
Maybe they should be called - keyboard with the lot! lol

Any instrument is worth it's salt, but only as much as the musician is that uses it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online