SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#428078 - 01/23/17 02:50 AM Entertainer --- Musician
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Went to see Eddie Shoemaker last week, I needed help setting up my new S970. We worked mostly with styles and how to organize them. After lunch Eddie invited me to go on a job at a senior home. He played in a room with about 33 to 35 seniors. The way his keyboard was placed on the stand I thought it was going to fall off. He seemed very uncomfortable. Played the wrong songs with wrong volume settings; I have to say it was real bad job.

OK, enough of my sick humor; Eddie has to be one of the best OMB I seen.

My criteria for judging;

Why was Eddie hired? To entertain a group of seniors and add to their day. Eddie used his music to support the interaction in the room. He was not there to play great music, he was there to entertain a group of seniors. Stopped in the middle of a song and added humor. Many times he did not complete the song. There no pauses between songs; he just glided through. I called my group of songs a set; he calls them a show – right on. He played an Mp3 of a difficult piano solo and gave the impression he was playing by moving his hands – he continued to move his fingers as he walked away from the keyboard. ha ha

When he was serious and played a song he was excellent. He used an Mp3 of Don playing a slow sax solo while walked the room and said goodbye to everyone. (nice touch) The seniors stomped their feet while sitting and walked out of the room singing and dancing. Job well done.

I tried improving my entertaining skills after reading Gary’s statement, “I am not a musician, I am an entertainer”, I felt Gary was right, although I do believe playing great music has its place. Letting go is not easy, most of us hide behind our keyboard.

John C.

#428087 - 01/23/17 07:19 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Eddie does a terrific job playing. I've heard him on several occasions when he visited here. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing his SHOW, but I know it's a great one.
It's my honor that he uses TUFF, that I recorded a long time ago on a Ketron, in his act!

#428092 - 01/23/17 08:31 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have had the privilege to see Eddie perform on several occasions, even worked with him one job, he is an incredible showman/entertainer and musician. When Eddie steps in front of an audience, even the relatively young ones, he has their undivided attention throughout his show.

Those of us that enjoyed the festivities here at the Diamond Ranch a couple years ago had the opportunity to meet with Eddie in person and see first hand how a truly dedicated entertainer weaves his magic. My fondest wish is to host another Synthzone Jam, possibly this summer and try to time it with one of Eddies many jaunts to the frozen north. And, now that DNJ is semi retired and cherry picking his jobs, there is no reason for him not to be here along with UD and Fran, better known as "The Three Amigos."

Gotta make some phone calls and try to put this all together when I get some strength back.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428093 - 01/23/17 08:41 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

bruno any videos?

#428094 - 01/23/17 08:59 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Those of us that enjoyed the festivities here at the Diamond Ranch a couple years ago had the opportunity to meet with Eddie in person and see first hand how a truly dedicated entertainer weaves his magic.
Cheers,
Gary cool

Great memories from that jam ... a return trip would be a lot of fun ... keys singer

#428095 - 01/23/17 09:31 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa

Those of us that enjoyed the festivities here at the Diamond Ranch a couple years ago had the opportunity to meet with Eddie in person and see first hand how a truly dedicated entertainer weaves his magic.
Cheers,
Gary cool

Great memories from that jam ... a return trip would be a lot of fun ... keys singer

lets do it soon let me know

#428099 - 01/23/17 10:10 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Cheers,
Gary cool

lets do it soon let me know

Sounds like a great plan!!

I've had the pleasure of knowing Ed for a few years, I have never seen his show but heard him accompany the late Joe Ayala at Gary's jam and also heard Ed solo he does a nice job.

At times I've been his mentor with Apple computer gear too. I think I may have taught him too much cool smile haven't got any questions from him lately.

#428100 - 01/23/17 10:12 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just got off the telephone with Eddie, we're going to try to schedule this for mid summer if at all possible, when things are quiet in his part of the world. Who knows, we may even be able to coax Don Mason to come out of hiding in LA. I would even foot the bill for his air fare just to get him here for a long weekend. I'm trying to be like Raymond Burr and not leave more than $5 and a huge pile of neat toys to the kids when I take the dirt nap. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428101 - 01/23/17 10:42 AM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
we're going to try to schedule this for mid summer if at all possible, when things are quiet in his part of the world.
Gary cool

ROAD TRIP !!! ...get ready, Donny ...

#428107 - 01/23/17 01:52 PM Re: Entertainer --- Musician [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

we're going to try to schedule this for mid summer if at all possible, when things are quiet in his part of the world.
Gary cool

ROAD TRIP !!! ...get ready, Donny ...

get me dates asap.......I am ready to party ......& Don mason better get his country butt there this time too laugh2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online