SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#416941 - 02/17/16 05:48 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thank you, Mark.

After some futile attempts, this is Version 4 now (to be further improved...):

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/midnight-in-moscow-dixieland-kenny-ball-style-v4-roland-integra

I had some significant insights into the arrangement... In Dixieland much is about playing harmonic voices in parallel instead of polyphonic improvisation...

Edited by rosetree (02/17/16 06:11 PM)

#416942 - 02/17/16 06:13 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Big improvement!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#416944 - 02/17/16 06:48 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks for confirming it, Gary. It was really more about the arrangement than about the mix. I roughly listed up all the changes in the Soundcloud description. I' ve done a lot of multitrack orchestral playbacks by ear without sheet music, but here I was deaf for a few important things first before I realized that in fact at most times two instruments are playing harmonies in parallel, and only one is improvising... As Dreamer said when we discussed this piece: How much you would learn from it if you elaborated all the instruments of that piece...

#416946 - 02/18/16 06:59 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Tonight in the middle of the night at 5 a.m. it struck me: there's one chord change that's not quite right (in the 8th bar)! It ought to be a diminished chord, while I played a double dominante. That would increase tension. I'll correct it tonight.

#416948 - 02/18/16 10:35 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Tonight in the middle of the night at 5 a.m. it struck me: there's one chord change that's not quite right (in the 8th bar)! It ought to be a diminished chord, while I played a double dominante. That would increase tension. I'll correct it tonight.

Does someone need a girlfriend?

smile smile

Ok, just kidding, don't shoot me.

chas

#416951 - 02/18/16 11:09 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: cgiles]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: rosetree

Does someone need a girlfriend?

smile smile

Ok, just kidding, don't shoot me.

chas

Lesbian girlfriend or not, I have no control of what thoughts hit my mind at night.

#416961 - 02/18/16 04:59 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Version 5 with diminished chords (what a difference!) and some other important changes online now (I replaced the file, same link).
https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/midnight-in-moscow-dixieland-kenny-ball-style-v4-roland-integra

I'm gonna do another dixieland soon, the beloved dixie version of the German folk song "On the Luneburg Heath" done in 1961 (just the same time as Kenny Ball) by the Hamburg-based Old Merry Tale Jazz Band.

Edited by rosetree (02/18/16 05:30 PM)

#417176 - 02/22/16 04:00 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

A trumpeter who listened to my last version mistook the muted cup trumpet in the beginning of the piece as a "harmonica" ! Another example of how I dislike many of the Integra SuperNatural sounds. In contrast, he liked the muted trumpet in the middle - that is an old sample from the SRX 09 World from the 1990s...

#417281 - 02/23/16 05:14 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

New version, same link... crazy
slowly getting crazy from this tune, it's got to have an end some time soon wink But I had forgotten about that great dirty trumpet impro when the trombone takes over the melody line... (not to mention the different trombone impro in Verse 2 and the snare rolls).

Edited by rosetree (02/23/16 05:20 PM)

#417405 - 02/25/16 05:19 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I've concluded the project for the time being. Yesterday and today I made a lot of further changes to the arrangement (after closely listening to the original).
I've decided to choose a Ketron SD 1000 trumpet for the main trumpet and also the SD 1000 clarinet. All the other sounds are still from Integra.
So this is the final version (unless some time I replace the trombone by my own real trombone playing in case I get back in form).

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/midnig...-ketron-sd-1000

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online