SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#396536 - 11/28/14 06:50 PM Re: Sad, sadder, saddest [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
That's good info to know. Thanks again, Ian!

I just checked Yamaha's website, and compared the two. I'd lean towards the S950 simply because of the 89 extra sounds (24 being Super Articulation voices), and 83 extra styles.

Plus, the color screen on the S950 makes it nicer to look at!

#396542 - 11/28/14 07:41 PM Re: Sad, sadder, saddest [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes, Mike, the S950 has a great looking screen (the S910's is color and very legible as well), although some people find the viewing angle awkward, and wish it was a tilt/adjustable one.

Also, my biggest disappointment with the S950, aside from the audio drum based styles, was that there were no SA2 voices at all. I suspect they weren't implemented due to the S950's keyboard which has a fairly shallow throw (compared to that of Tyros FSX) and no aftertouch, and SA2 voices work best with a keyboard designed to get the most out of them.

Hopefully we'll see both a new keyboard action and at least a few SA2 voices on the S950's replacement, and perhaps some sort of tilting adjustable screen.

The S950's extra styles weren't much of a concern to me as there are hundreds of Yamaha styles at PSR Tutorial taken from the other models in the line, both new and old, and these are exceptionally well converted to work in the S910.

What keyboard are you using at present? Are you thinking of upgrading?

Ian

#396545 - 11/28/14 08:52 PM Re: Sad, sadder, saddest [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Hi, Ian. You seem very knowledgeable about the different keyboards, and I thank you for taking the time to help me!

I have a Yamaha Motif XF6 which I like very much. When I bought it about 2 1/2 years ago, I was convinced I'd get the Tyros 4. However, despite my wife's blessing to go ahead with (for me) a very substantial outlay of cash, I just couldn't justify spending all that money. So instead, I bought the Motif XF (which was exactly half the price of the Tyros 4) thinking that I'd one day get an arranger to go along with it.

I don't consider myself a musician. I only play a little bit, by ear. That's why I always liked the idea of an arranger keyboard, which would not require me to play arpeggios with my left hand (something that I don't know how to do). Plus, I like the idea of a full band or orchestra backing me up, without having to record up to 16 tracks myself on the Motif. Most of the time, I just want to sit and play. However, at times, I really do like the ability to choose the different arpeggios on the Motif.

If only the Motif would also have auto-accompaniment!

These are the things I would love to have:

1) the best acoustic sounds
(either keep my Motif, or get Tyros 5 if my budget will permit, or an Integra-7)

2) the best orchestral sounds
(a Kurzweil or an Integra-7, or a sound library for my Motif, like Garritan Personal Orchestra)

3) an arranger
(a Tyros 5, or the PSR-S950, or Korg PA900, or a BK-7m)

This is where I'm at in my thinking at the moment.

#396546 - 11/28/14 08:54 PM Re: Sad, sadder, saddest [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Edited by Mikem (11/28/14 08:56 PM)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online