SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#387857 - 04/12/14 10:49 PM Re: Problems trying to play jazz on an Arranger KB [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Have you tried playing in full piano mode playing the bassline in the left hand syncopated fashion just before the beat ?

#387896 - 04/14/14 10:52 AM Re: Problems trying to play jazz on an Arranger KB [Re: spalding1968]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think with auto bass, it's not possible to do anything but play the tune straight, with none of the inflections or inversions you normally use playing jazz.

The best you ca do is play left-handed bass. then, it's like playing a duo with a bad drummer...the guys we used to call "time keepers".

R.

#387897 - 04/14/14 12:24 PM Re: Problems trying to play jazz on an Arranger KB [Re: cgiles]
rosetree
Unregistered

I just recorded a simple jazzy tune and only used manual left and right hand piano together with jazz brush rhythm. Sometimes that's more useful than trying to use full arranger functions:

http://youtu.be/gSc2I-t4Vxw

BTW, this is a nice "jazz piano" sample included in the CP1 package you get for free for the MoXF flash board.

#387952 - 04/15/14 11:24 AM Re: Problems trying to play jazz on an Arranger KB [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I think Rosetree and others got it, as far as I can understand your problem. I've played jazz and Standared tunes for years on arrangers and really never had a problem. It is the "clunky" bass jump you get if you change chords quickly. After a whie of doing it you can get your transitions smooth and work with the arranger . Its not perfect, especially for doing the subtle inflections your looking for. Nothing like a real drummer but then again nothing like a real band fo me.
Just hooked up my PK5 bass pedals to my BK9 and had a ball. Haven't played pedals in a long while but it came right back to me like riding a bike. Did a whole bunch of jazz organ stuff and am really appreciating more and more the clonewheel B3 in the BK9. Not something I use for my regualar tunes but nice to have onboard.

BTW some sax players know a lot, Its the drummers you have to watch out for !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online