Asr 10 peak signal?

Posted by: bassfreq

Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/06/00 12:29 PM

I just purchased an ASR 10 V2. I had an older one wich was manufactured in the earlier 90's. But on this board the peak signal (input level) lights always stay on. I don't remember this on the old board. Is this alright? And I noticed it runs a little louder, a slight buzzing. Is this board faulty am I going to run into any problems? I haven't noticed any conflicts.
Thanks for any help given.

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/06/00 01:25 PM

Now that I've played raound w/ it for awhile...When I sample it runs real hot. I check my levels & everything but I'm getting a dirty crackle,very sublte but mor enoticible w/ lo frequencies. Any advise on this would be appreciated. How much would something like this cost me to fix?

p.s.: I have it set to line not mic.
Posted by: tails

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/07/00 02:33 AM

hi bassfreq,

yeah i have that problem too. once in a while everytime i playback a sample, iget this really loud crackling sound. it usually goes away after i restart it. i wonder why does the unit run so hot? let me know if solved your problem.

btw what's V2 of the ASR10? i thought there was only one version.

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/07/00 09:11 AM

Hi tails,
Ensoniq Asr-10 came out w/ another version towards the end of manufacturing this unit. It has improved sampling capabilties (imports Roland & Akai), multitracking, upgraded the rom chip, & put in a nice fluorescent blue led.
But do you mean its running hot like heat as well? I keep a clip on fan nearby to keep the temp. down.
But i thinks the problems have to do w/ the outputs & inputs. You see late after I posted the first messages I decided to hook up the output expander. Well when I turned the unit back on again I got a terrible loud buzzing noise!!! I bought this used over the internet & think I just got screwed! Have you experienced this at all?
As far as your problem goes I noticed the crackling is more severe through the headphone jack. Try listening through the mixing board & see if you notice a difference. And do you have pro grade studio moniters. Plain old stereo speakers can't really handle those frequencies.
i'm dreading the thought of calling Ensoniq tech support, because they certainly don't have a great approach towards customers. And there answer is always the # to the local service center.They need to stop treating there customers like morons cause where the ones that spend the money, use there products, & keep them in buisness!

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/07/00 09:53 AM

bassfreq,

well I guess i have the v2 ! my unit was manufactured in 1996. yeah i bought mine used too. the condition is good except for that cracking sound once in a while. i've hooked mine up to a mixer using the main outs and i'm just using plain hifi speakers.

what do you mean by output expander? you mean the aux outs and digital i/o?

one thing i can't figure out is mine has spdif rca digital i/o jacks, but it seems i don't have the digital board installed! so why are the connectors there??? have you got digital i/o?

well mine gets hot after about an hour but it still works ok when its hot. don't use any fan to cool it though. well i wouldn't know about support because it is non existent here!!!
Posted by: Cloakboy

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/08/00 10:14 AM

I have had a v2 for about a year and a half now and i've never had this crackling you guys speak of...

Make sure your Audio inputs are turned off (i know the Fizmo has an equivalent problem where if you have the LineIn when nothing is plugged in, it crackles and distorts). It's possible that your prvious owners modified the Os to start up with the Inputs turned on (via Save Global Parameters)

If your Inputs are turned off and you still get that crackling noise, use a delay effect to try to determine if the crackling is coming before or after the effects processor (if the crackling is repeated w/ the delay, it's before, if it isn't, then it's after.)

If it's after the effects processor, then it might have to do w/ you cables or the main outs. Even if these need to be repaired, it's not too expensive.

If it's before, however, then you also need to bring it in, but it's prolly going to be expensive and involve ordering parts from Ensoniq (which will prolly take weeks.)

good luck.

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/08/00 06:55 PM

Well it turns out in my case it wasn't the output expander. I spoke to a tech today. It has to do w/ the inputs or outputs being blown. The good news is it isn't that expensive to fix. No parts are really required just a 1 hour labor fee. Tails I strongly suggest looking into this beacause the ASR is a powerful machine & this is crippling its possibilties. The guy that had it before probaly figured it was to expensive to fix & decided to sell it to someone & give them the headache. If the peak leds are running hot from the time you turn it on.. you have a problem. The tech told me not to sample on it because it could worsten the problem. Give Ensoniq a call & they'll hook you up w/ a local repair center. Or, I have a list of service centers if you want to email me.

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/09/00 07:01 AM

Bassfreq,

My ASR doesn't have the peak lights on all the time like yours, but it does get hot. So far it hasn't given me any problems that warrant tech support. So i hope it stays the same.

Thanks for the info anyway. Hope you get your sampler problem sorted out.

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/29/00 07:34 AM

bassfreq,

Have you solved your problem? How was the support?

Re: Asr 10 peak signal? - 05/29/00 11:21 AM

Tails,
thanks for your concern
Everything is working just fine! it turns out they had to replace 2 generic parts & 1 hour of labor (came to $99). It did have to do w/ the inputs & outputs. Are you still having problems w/ your board, let me see if it was related at all to my problem. It turns out that Ensoniq tech support is a little more forgiving these days, since they merged w/ Emu. I found out if you have a major part that needs to be replaced, they do a swap out for the part & give you a discount (almost %50 off). The only gripe is it must be done through an authorized repair center.
take care