ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions???????????????

Posted by: seep

ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions??????????????? - 02/28/00 11:17 PM

I just bought a e6400 and need to know why can't I use the sound librairy emu cd's(came with the sampler) with the internal cd rom drive built on this G3 266 (beige with SCSI)?
Do I really have to get an extra cd rom drive like "glith" to be able to play those sound librairies?
Do I really need to use an external hard drive or Zip drive to save my work? could I use the hard drive of my mac, I still have 3 GB available.
Also how important is a sound card for the G3?
I am using Micro Logic for sequencer.
I know I have a lot to read but maybe someone out there can get me quick tips for my entrance in this deep world of technology.
I will appreciate any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again!

------------------
Posted by: fvicente

Re: ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions??????????????? - 02/29/00 09:10 AM

Hi,

Can the e6400 recognize that there is a CD Rom drive on the SCSI bus? One of the things that you need to do is set the software switch in EOS (ie the e6400) to allow computer on SCSI bus or something like that. It is in the manual how to do that.

It could be that the CD Rom drive in the G3 is not compatible with the e6400. If you don't get a drive showing up on the e6400 that corresponds to the CD Rom drive on the Mac, chances are that it is an IDE drive.

If you can't use the G3's CD Rom drive, you're best off to buy an external SCSI CD Rom drive. Don't buy the Glyph unless you really want it rack-mounted. I find them over-priced for what you are getting. I bought an internal SCSI CD Rom drive a few years ago and a case for it for $100 US. I'm not sure how much the Glyphs are going for but their regular external CD Rom drives are probably double that. In the end, you may save yourself some grief by simply buying a CD Rom drive for your sampler.

In regards to the hard drive, you can not use the hard drive of the mac. E-mu uses a proprietary hard drive format that is not compatible with any computer. It says this specifically in the manual as well. You have a variety of options though. You can buy something like a Zip (too slow IMHO), Jaz drive, external SCSI hard drive, internal IDE hard drive, or an internal SCSI hard drive. The Jaz drive is convenient because it is fast enough and, when you have it full, you can use another cartridge. With fixed disk hard drives, you need to backup to a CD when it is full.

The sound card is not important for the G3 unless you want to do audio recording in your G3. That is a whole other issue though.

HTH
Fernando

Re: ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions??????????????? - 02/29/00 10:17 PM

Thanks for the tip Fernando,

I got that GLYPH for $110 and it's not a rack so I thought that wasn't a bad deal .

NOW my problems are the connections:I connected that cd rom dr. to the EMU by SCSI wich I think is right (hopefuly).
Then i hooked up the midi IN port of the sampler to the Midi OUT port of my K11 Kawai keyboard, and connected the Midi OUT of the sampler to the IN port of the Midi Interface(midi Translater2 Opcode) wich is hooked to my G3 by the printer connection.
I wondering if it's right !
I am new to this and I love the idea of sampling but It's pretty complicated to make it work correctly, hopefully I get over it soon enough!!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot

Re: ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions??????????????? - 03/01/00 08:51 AM

Hi Seep,

You probably want to change your MIDI connections slightly. The MIDI Translator is a 2-port (ie 2 ins and 2 outs) interface right? If it is, you'll want to connect the K11 out to the MT (MIDI Translator) input 1 and the K11 in to the MT output 1. As well, you'll want to connect the e6400 out to the MT input 2 and the e6400 in to the MT output 2.

I hope this makes sense. The way Logic works (I use it too, but I'm on Logic Platinum) is that when you select a track, it is assigned to an instrument. Even though you may be playing a note on the K11, if you've selected a e6400 track, only the e6400 will sound (unless you have "Local" turned on on the K11).

The CD Rom drive should have a terminator on it and you should use high quality SCSI cables for it. Terminators only need to be on the last device on the SCSI chain. The e6400 will automatically have termination turned on but the CD Rom drive won't necessarily. I believe that Jaz and Zip drives have termination built in and you can switch it on and off.

HTH
Fernando

Re: ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions??????????????? - 03/01/00 10:06 AM

Hi fernando,

My midi interface has actually only one IN and 3 OUT, I guess I am gonna have to get a new one, that sucks. Is there any other way?
Thanks.

Re: ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions??????????????? - 03/01/00 10:08 AM

Hi Fernando,

My midi interface has actually only one IN and 3 OUT, I guess I am gonna have to get a new one, that sucks. Is there any other way?
Thanks.

Re: ULTRA E6400 EMU Questions??????????????? - 03/01/00 02:35 PM

Hi Seep,

Well, you don't necessarily need to connect the e6400's MIDI output to an input on your interface unless you need to do sysex dumps or anything like that.

The only other thing that I would worry about is are those 3 MIDI outputs separate? You need at least 2 separate MIDI outputs if you want to access all of the MIDI channels from both your e6400 and your K11. What I mean by separate is that MIDI output 2 and 3 don't echo the information coming out of MIDI input 1.

If you have separate MIDI outputs and don't need the MIDI info coming out of the E5000, then you should be fine with what you have for now. You can always upgrade as your needs grow in the future.

HTH
Fernando