better pianos and organs. Nanosynth or Nanopiano?

Posted by: RW

better pianos and organs. Nanosynth or Nanopiano? - 10/04/02 07:23 AM

My main question is... are the piano and organs in the Nanopiano much better or any better than those on the nanosynth?

I'd give up the multi-timbral feature for much better (fully, punchier) piano and organ sounds (ep's, rhodes, wurlys, b3's).

Thing is I can't find a store that has these units to hear a comparison myself. So I just thought I'd try to run a quick question out here.

Thanks.

Bob
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: better pianos and organs. Nanosynth or Nanopiano? - 10/04/02 10:37 AM

Those nano lines are great "utility" pieces, but are not the best tones. The nanosynth is adequate at best, and the naopiano may have a "slight" edge, but still - notghing to write home about. You get what you pay for, and they are very inexpensive sound modules. Look for a Roland sound canvas if you want a nice piano or a Kurzweil piano module - they are both small and have great piano and organ sounds.
Posted by: RW

Re: better pianos and organs. Nanosynth or Nanopiano? - 10/07/02 08:14 AM

Thanks Uncle Dave,

Well I picked up a brand new Nanopiano for 106 bucks. Before I read your reply by the way. It will be mailed to me soon. I hope it satisfies.

I was looking for an inexpensive 64 voice piano/organ. I thought of Kurzweil's Micro Piano but I think it's only 32 polyphony. And right now a really good rack I just can't afford yet. I mean a good one from $750-1,000. I do have a Roland JV-1010 and a Roland XP-50. I'm really happy with the sounds I get from them and will be using the JV-1010 as my main mult-timbral synth for playing back sequences from a laptop (mainly drums and bass). Having the XP-50 allows me to play back sequences without lugging the laptop around. I also have a Fatar SL880 (88 weights key controller). I was using this to trigger the JV-1010's piano, e.p. and/or organs while the sequencer was playing. So I'm thinking my main configuration in home studio will be;
1) Laptop to JV-1010 and/or XP-50.
2) XP-50 to play live/ realtime
3) Sl880 playing Nanopiano live/ realtime.

For live gigs, with a band where bass and drums are covered, I should have really good flexibilty, But I'm thinking of just bringing the SL880, JV1010 and XP-50. Leaving the Nanopiano at home. Then again, the dern thing is so small. It all depends on what's expected of me. But I think I can cover all my bases.

I think once I've master controller of all this and if my sequences or compositions ever become complex enough, I'll then seriously consider a full sized, expandable, sampler rack with 128 polyphony, or more!

Thanks again Uncle Dave.