Roland XP-80 vs. Yamaha S30 vs. Alesis QS7.1

Posted by: JimLeVecchi

Roland XP-80 vs. Yamaha S30 vs. Alesis QS7.1 - 10/09/00 09:17 AM

I am comparing these 3 unweighted keyboards. I need realistic piano, elec.piano, rotary organ sounds and strings. I think Yamaha has best piano, Alesis has best organ (with ramping rotation!), and Roland has best strings. Please post/email your opinions. Thanks.
Posted by: Gustave

Re: Roland XP-80 vs. Yamaha S30 vs. Alesis QS7.1 - 10/09/00 11:02 AM

Hi Jim.

I don't have any experience with the other keyboards, but I own an Alesis QS7. As far as I know the sounds are the same or very similar to the QS7.1.

Listen carefully to the QS7.1 painos, especially arround middle C. On many,if not all, there is a very annoying overtone in this area similar to feedback that makes the acoustic painos virtually useless as solo insturments or for lighter music styles. Use headphones if you can as this is often difficult to detect in the music store. I have heard this on QS7s and QS7.1s.

I like the most of the organs on the QS7, especially the rock organs. However, I still have not been able to get a convincing B3 sound, and the vibrato just doesn't quite sound real (a litttle too digital I think).

I like some of the strings but most are a little harsh.

The electric painos seem good to me but I've read some posts here that say there not realistic.

If I had it to do over again I would not buy a QS.

Hope this helps.

Gustave

[This message has been edited by Gustave (edited 10-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gustave (edited 10-09-2000).]