Updating the GM bank

Posted by: Irishacts

Updating the GM bank - 04/24/10 11:44 AM

Hi guys.

I've converted the VSTi Bandstand into Giga files and I'm about to start replacing the GM sounds with the best pickings from Bandstand. Any recommendations on which is the best way to proceed doing this.

I can think of a few ways, but I'm wondering what's the recommended way.

Regards
James
Posted by: AFG Music

Re: Updating the GM bank - 04/24/10 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi guys.

I've converted the VSTi Bandstand into Giga files and I'm about to start replacing the GM sounds with the best pickings from Bandstand. Any recommendations on which is the best way to proceed doing this.

I can think of a few ways, but I'm wondering what's the recommended way.

Regards
James

the easiest way is to give your converted giga sounds the same name as in SoundbankGM2,

i mean like this:

your converted giga file name is= Drum stan1.gig

you have inside SoundbankGM2 folder a GM Drums.gig

so, change the name Drum stan1.gig to GM Drums.gig

the best way is to start first with creating first a folder named SoundbankGM2 with 128 emty folder with the same 128 folder name used in existing SoundbankGM2.

second way:

You can also use qsampler fronted to make new MS-02-instruments-1.lscp. but when you have finished this way you most save this file in your GigaLibrary folder and a copy of this file inside Presets folder.

but if you've changed programa places you get problem, to solve this you most edit gmgigabank_Lionstracs file with text editor to change your new program names and screen names for programs you want to see on your MS displat if you press MS layer 4 key.
if you're using second you most edit styles again to, with your new instruments programs names on each track.

I think for now the first way is best, then after a while if you know everything you most know and you can control everything you can start with secind way because it is also not difficult, only you must be very careful

Re: Updating the GM bank - 04/24/10 12:47 PM

Thanks AFG Music

If the SoundbankGM2 is the main GM bank and that's the one I need to update, can you tell me what the other 2 GM banks are for ?

There a folder called “GM Soundbank” which is incomplete, and another folder called “GM Folder” which is complete and this is actually what I thought was the GM bank as it's the one that contains a txt and lscp file.

I'll update the SoundbankGM2 using the first method you mentioned, but can you tell me what the other two folder as for then ?.

I haven't looked at qsampler at all yet.

Regards
James
Posted by: AFG Music

Re: Updating the GM bank - 04/24/10 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Thanks AFG Music

If the SoundbankGM2 is the main GM bank and that's the one I need to update, can you tell me what the other 2 GM banks are for ?

There a folder called “GM Soundbank” which is incomplete, and another folder called “GM Folder” which is complete and this is actually what I thought was the GM bank as it's the one that contains a txt and lscp file.

I'll update the SoundbankGM2 using the first method you mentioned, but can you tell me what the other two folder as for then ?.

I haven't looked at qsampler at all yet.

Regards
James

the other two folders were earlier used as a GM/GS instrument folder one after another,

but now SoundbankGM2 folder is the main GM/GS bank used for styles and Midi and the sounds from this bank you see on MS display when you press layer4 key. when you press layer 4 key can the sound have other names then the name inside SoundbankGM2 becouse they are only screen names linked to rea sounds. the names on display are from this file = gmgigabank_Lionstracs. you can open this file with text editor. but for fisrt way you do not need to edit this file.

Re: Updating the GM bank - 04/24/10 01:44 PM

Thanks for that.

James