Trouble getting Midi Going

Posted by: squeeze

Trouble getting Midi Going - 12/26/03 06:24 PM

I am having a problem getting my Roland JV1010 and my korg Sp200 Hooked up to my computer using Cakewalk. I am Using A USB based midi cable which is called UNO. It has (1) usb to the computer and a Midi in and a midi out. I have The Midi In to the midi out of the korg and the MIDI out to the Midi In of the JV1010. I have installed all the drivers for cakewalk and Cakewalk has found the Uno cables. I then went through the instructions and attempted to play a song from cakewalk back through my keyboard and I have No sound. The Midi Cable is flashing MIDI out to the Keyboard as though it is sending the data. I also go through process to send Sound the the Cakewalk and it does nothing. the little piano icon at the bottom shows no input.I have went through setting Midi Devices and instruments and audio and every things seems OK according to the book. I been dealing with computers long enough to know that the problems on my end. Anybody got any idea what I am doing wrong? I've called Tech Support With roland and cake walk and they both blame the other. i know it's probally very simple. Thanks for any input
Posted by: Burkels

Re: Trouble getting Midi Going - 02/23/04 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by squeeze:
I am having a problem getting my Roland JV1010 and my korg Sp200 Hooked up to my computer using Cakewalk.

Uhm... You DID connect MIDI IN and OUT correctly, didn't you?

[This message has been edited by Burkels (edited 02-23-2004).]
Posted by: RW

Re: Trouble getting Midi Going - 02/23/04 12:39 PM

what's up squeeze?
I thought, while reading your post, that you expect the Cakewalk sequencer to trigger sounds in your keyboard:
"attempted to play a song from cakewalk back through my keyboard and I have No sound."

The keyboard, (SP200) would not sound if the MIDI out of the computer is going to the MIDI in of the JV1010. The JV1010 should sound.... IF you have it set to performance mode or have the proper channel selected in patch mode.

When you say:
"I also go through process to send Sound the the Cakewalk ", I'm thinkin you mean to say, "to send MIDI to the Cakewalk", not sound, unless Cakewalk has an audio recorder, and if it does, then the MIDI hookup wouldn't help that anyway. You'd need an audio out from the keyboard to an audio line in to the computer. If you meant to recive MIDI from the keyboard to the Cakewalk, ensure your transmit is on and the proper channel is set.

Other than those things I've mentioned.. I don't know how to help.

Basically, if I read you right, you have SP200 going to the Cakewalk, then Cakewalk to the JV1010. Which is cool. If you want also to play the SP200, in this set-up and also trigger the JV1010, you'd need the Cakewalk set to MIDI thru.

Best wishes.
Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 02-23-2004).]

Re: Trouble getting Midi Going - 02/23/04 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply,
I finally got it. These UNO cables are marked kinda reverse to to what is needed.
The cable marked midi Out goes to Midi Out and visa versa. I am a software programmer and learned a long time ago that its always your fault if it don't work and never let the computer win.
thanks again squeeze
Posted by: Burkels

Re: Trouble getting Midi Going - 03/15/04 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by squeeze:
Thanks for the reply,
I finally got it. These UNO cables are marked kinda reverse to to what is needed.

Late reply: I have cables like that, and I think it's quite handy. One end of my cable is marked IN, the other end OUT. This way you only need to look the cable-end to know what port you should plug it into, on either side, that is

------------------
Roland EXR-5 user - http://www.exr5.tk

Re: Trouble getting Midi Going - 03/15/04 03:22 PM

Thats true now that i see how it goes. but it was confusing with how the music store was telling me MIDI in to MIDI out. these UNO cables are marked to which port to go. But no problem now I am making music at church and everythings fine. thanks for the help!
squeeze