Pachelbel's Canon in D

Posted by: trtjazz

Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/13/06 05:06 PM

This is my favorite classical piece that I have been toying with for a few years and decided to record it. It's all T2 including recording straight to the hard drive.
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/attachment.php?id=415

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/13/06 08:33 PM

I am listening to it now, all 6 minutes of it and it is very impressive. It is hard to imagine recording a piece like this on a general arranger keyboard.
It sounds a lot like the way we use to create songs, one track and instrument at a time and then a final mix down.
Terry, How about some recording info on this masterpiece?
thanks for sharing, it is really fine,
Everyone should take 6 minutes and listen to this even if you are not into classical music.
Best to all
Bebop

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/14/06 08:06 AM

Bebop,
Thank you. Not too much to say. It's just a multitracked recording, using the SA tremolo bowing 2 patch, chamber strings, SA live strings and the grand piano. It was first recorded as a midi sequence, then re-recorded to the Tyros hd.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/17/06 02:59 PM

Bebop,
Other than with you I guess this one's a flop.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
Posted by: jpapas

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/17/06 05:42 PM

Hi trtjazz, maybe if you posted your song in a place like yousendit or rapidshare it'd be easier for people to listen to your song. I for one don't wanna sign up for a new forum in order to listen to a new song (sorry), and I'm affraid that's the case with most of the sz forumers. Try yousendit and see what happens.

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/17/06 06:10 PM

Sorry, the link is fixed.
You don't have to sign up for anything, just click it and it plays. It's a hotlink directly to the song.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-17-2006).]

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/19/06 02:08 PM

Well it must not have been just the link because there has been over 100 downloads of the tune and 4 comments on my forum total.

I think I get it.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/19/06 06:32 PM

Terry,
I was doing some experimenting and I discerned that I can put a link right here in a post that will take anyone directly to your MP3 download forum.
They could then play some of your great music you keep hoarding over there
Let me know if it is ok or you just put it on here for us. Then they can hear some more of the music you have recorded on your Tyros 2 and also the original Tyros.
Best to you,
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 01-19-2006).]
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/19/06 06:34 PM

Terry ... I'm not a 'yammie', so I don't come to this page that often ... listening now ... VERY impressive ...
t.

PS ... I know how you feel ... I've also posted a couple of songs (on the GA and Technics pages) and had little to no response ...
t.

PPS: ... REALLY impessive ... did you use an orchestral score for this?
Posted by: jpapas

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/19/06 11:05 PM

Hi Terry, I finally had the chance to listen to your rendition of Pachelbel's canon, and I must say that I really enjoyed it. Maybe the strings sound a bit dry, but other than that it's excellent.

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/20/06 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jpapas:
Hi Terry, I finally had the chance to listen to your rendition of Pachelbel's canon, and I must say that I really enjoyed it. Maybe the strings sound a bit dry, but other than that it's excellent.

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and comment. I wanted to record this as straight out of the Tyros2 without adding any effects so others could hear a sample of how it sounds out of the box.
jam on,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/20/06 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Terry ... I'm not a 'yammie', so I don't come to this page that often ... listening now ... VERY impressive ...
t.

PS ... I know how you feel ... I've also posted a couple of songs (on the GA and Technics pages) and had little to no response ...
t.

PPS: ... REALLY impessive ... did you use an orchestral score for this?

Tony,
Thank you too very much for the listen and comments.

Sorry that I have missed your tunes to reciprocate, but I quit going to the GA side after my last experience there with negativity coupled with the amount of digressive negative posts by some.

I did not use a score for this, as I only read enough music to not hurt my playing. Originally I learned it from a score when taking lessons though.

This tune actually started for me many years ago. I was taking violin lessons (classical of course)and heard this tune for the first time and fell in love with it's simplistic repetitive arrangement.

The guy I was taking lessons from Stephen Warren had a small quartet that played around town and they did a great rendition of it. I have been hooked on the tune since then and have gotten many renditions of it with many different instruments.

I kept fooling and practicing with it over the years and finally decided to record it with the Tyros 2.

BTW I really sucked at the violin much to my dismay, because to me some of the most beautiful music in classical and jazz I've heard are done on a violin, just never on mine.
jam on,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/20/06 04:04 AM

Tony,
One other thing about the no comments. That is very odd to me common courtesy wise and I liken it to doing a live gig and when the song ends, the audience just stares at you silent.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/20/06 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Terry,
I was doing some experimenting and I discerned that I can put a link right here in a post that will take anyone directly to your MP3 download forum.
They could then play some of your great music you keep hoarding over there
Let me know if it is ok or you just put it on here for us. Then they can hear some more of the music you have recorded on your Tyros 2 and also the original Tyros.
Best to you,
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 01-19-2006).]

Bebop,
The reason there was a problem is because I had my board set that one had to be a member to d/l an attachment. I will in fact most likely revert back to that again, so it would not do any good for you to post links to any of the tunes, as they will not work once I do that.

So why do I do that? The reason is simple bandwidth usage = $.

This tune now has had well over 100 d/ls and very little response. In most cases my thoughts are if one does not want to hear a tune bad enough to become a member, then that's ok with me too.

Now and again as a help to others though I like to post things like this so those out there trying to decide whether or not they should spend 3 large on a board can hear what it sounds like in the real world and not the demos done under the optimum conditions by pros right down the line.

Thanks for the thought though.
jam on,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
Posted by: George V

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/20/06 08:22 AM

Hi Terry,
This is another classical piece you share with us! I'd never listened to the whole Pachelbel's Canon. Thanks for sharing. Exellent playing.
In my opinion the strings voice is really bad. I expected much better strings on a $3000 keyboard.
I think this was the reason why people did not react to your recording.
I am pretty sure that you can make this piece sound much better. If I were you I'd play full chords on the clavesin (harpsicord).
That's my piece of constructive criticism.
Regards,
George

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/20/06 05:47 PM

Thanks for the input George.
jam on,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/21/06 05:58 AM

George, Just so I have a point of reference here, what strings do you believe would sound so much better than these if any? Or are you speaking against a real live orchestra?

thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-21-2006).]

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/21/06 11:14 AM

Terry, you're right
I could not help comparing the T2 strings to a real orchestra because the other voices sounded so perfectly.
I am aware that a keyboard cannot reproduce the strings exacltly. There are many articulations the real strings can play - once I was a violin and viola player, too BUT:

I noticed that each note the strings voice played was stressed. Each note standed for itself and thus was spoiling the melody.

It is possible also that you may have picked a wrong voice. You could try to play the same piece with an ordinary strings ensemble voice, or with separate violin, viola and chello voices. Or replace the strings with completely different instruments like the Block flute family (T2 should have a good selection of these).

Regards,
George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 01-21-2006).]

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/23/06 07:16 AM

George
Thanks now I have a better feel for your original comments. I understand what you are saying. As a guitar player, any keyboard guitar I hear sounds off to me.

Therein lies a problem as well, I'm a guitarist and not a keyboardist. So I am sure that someone with a far better technique could do much better than I have with it.

The demo here though was meant to be more of a showcase for those who may want to hear what they can expect out of the box and especially as I say from a non-keyboardist.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/23/06 08:26 AM

Ok, what am I doing wrong?! I've been trying to download Terry's song for several days with not luck. I clicked on the link and then Quicktime Player within Firefox opens, but nothing happens. I also tried right clicking the link to save the song to my desktop, but nothing happens either.

Scott

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/23/06 10:53 AM

Scott,
I just went to the top of this topic, clicked on the highlighted url and it pulled up Windows Media Player and started playing. so..........must be a problem in your computer affiliation with WMP.
However this song is posted on Terry's forum Club Chops so maybe you have to be a member to play it. I don't know about that, as I am a member of club chops and can play it. Maybe Terry will respond here and let us know.

Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 01-23-2006).]

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/23/06 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Ok, what am I doing wrong?! I've been trying to download Terry's song for several days with not luck. I clicked on the link and then Quicktime Player within Firefox opens, but nothing happens. I also tried right clicking the link to save the song to my desktop, but nothing happens either.

Scott

Scott,
It's a WMP mp, Quicktime is real good about taking over your PC. GO into WMP settings and under file affiliation, make sure mp's are checked. I hate Quicktime.

It should work fine, you're the 1st it's done that for, so it must be that the last time you used QT, it took over the mp affiliation.
Terry
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/25/06 02:22 PM

Scott,
Were you able to hear this?
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
Posted by: Carrie-uk

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 06:29 AM

Unfortunately I'm having the same trouble as Scott, which makes me wonder if we're not the only ones! I've tried going into Windows Media player and reassigning it to play MP3's, but Quicktime still starts....which won't play the file.

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Scott,
It's a WMP mp,

I assume you mean a Windows Media Player '.wma' file, right?

Quote:
Scott,
Were you able to hear this?

Terry: Even though I have Windows Media Player set as my default player for Windows Media Files, still NO LUCK.

The link you provided: http://www.musicchops.com/forums/attachment.php?id=415

ends with ".php?id=415".

I would have expected it to end with ".wma" if it were a downloadable Windows Media Player file. I'm baffled why it's working for some but not me.

Scott

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 11:28 AM

Scott,
I just clicked on the link in YOUR post right above this one and the media player came up and started playing Terry's Song file.
Bebop

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 03:08 PM

Terry:

Strangely enough, even though I 've set Windows Media Player as my default player for all MP3 & Windows Media related files, when I click on the your above link, the Quicktime Player icon still continues to show up in the middle of my browser window (both Firefox and IE), and then after a few seconds of attempting to load (your song?) , a ? mark then appears, and no song is heard. Is there a setting within IE and/or Firefox of which I can change to get "Pachelbel's Canon in D" to play? Carrie: Curious is your playback problem is similar or entirely different.

This is my first experience not being able to link to & download a fellow forum member's songs, as I've downloaded songs submitted for download online by scores of others. Curious if anyone else except Carrie and me are having problems downloading & playing Terry's as well.

Scott
Posted by: KeithB

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 04:39 PM

I have the same result as Scott - frustrating as the tune is one of my personal favourites

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 04:42 PM

Well progress. Used Mozilla Firefox - it downloaded but would only play the first bar!!
Keith

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 04:46 PM

Guys I'm not sure what's going on with your pcs, but I just clicked on the link Scott put up and the Windows media player came up and played it fine.

I have QT on my pc but have unchecked all the file associations in it except for QT. I have had to uninstall QT in the past because of issues like you guys are having.

Firefox should not be a problem, but I do not know for sure. It's definately on your end though with the QT player. It has been successfully d/l'd a couple of hundred times already.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/26/06 11:05 PM

KeithB hit my problem head on.... Quicktime starts up after waiting aaages, then only plays the first bar of your song. Terribly frustrating! I'm using Firefox too. Hmmmmmmmm...... Canon is one of my favourites too! I always play it using the chill-out style on my psr 3k.

Carrie

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 01:58 AM

Guys, IMO uninstall QT then reinstall it when you need it.

I have Win Patrol (free edition) on my pc and everytime I've had to use QT, it goes nuts blocking QT from trying to change my pc settings and forcing it's way into the startup menu.

I would uninstall it (QT) as I have had to do in the past when it gets too bold on my pc. Reatime player is another one, though not as aggressive that does similar things to the pc.

I don't use a style on this one, I multitracked it instead using voices. I'd like for you guys that like this tune as I do to hear it and venture an opinion.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 01:59 AM

BTW it's been d/l'd 299 times now successfully.
jam on,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 07:53 AM

Quote:
BTW it's been d/l'd 299 times now successfully.

Terry: considering so (relatively) few responders here who have acknowledged successfully downloading & listening to your song, I wonder just how many of thoe 299 downloads were actually successful. In addition, I suspect, even though I wasn't able to download successfuly, that every one of my numerous download attempts was included in your 299 figure.

Terry. I know you produce good music work, so it would be disappointing if far fewer than the 299 d/l's actually got to enjoy hearing it.

I notice that the song file link you provided ends with ".php?id=415" , and not ".mp3" or ".wma", of which I would have expected instead. My guess is that the ".pho?id=415" URL extension was used so your song comes up from within our web browser instead of separately from our Media Player, right? My suggestion (if you want more universal playability) is to (re)post your song linking directly to the URL server address location of your song (and of which the address ends with your song's name and filetype extension: .mp3 or .wma. Just a thought.

Btw: Happy Chinese New Year (Jan 29th) to all,

Scott

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 08:16 AM

Scott,
.php is a file extension. PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor. It's a web programming language. I used it to create my own web site.
This .php file is supposed to launch the download. I guess that the .mp3 file is not available directly from the url.

I'd suggest that you press the RIGHT mouse button over the link and choose 'Save Link as' (if you use Mozilla);

George

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 09:45 AM

Terry: considering so (relatively) few responders here who have acknowledged successfully downloading & listening to your song, I wonder just how many of thoe 299 downloads were actually successful.
---------------------------------------
Well from my site stats behind the scenes I can tell whether or not it failed as a d/l or was successful. Secondly, I am not at all surprised by very few comments take a look at some of the other tunes that are posted around and see how many comments there are.

It has also been d/l'd from Arrangerworkstation and Steve Deming commented on it, so he had no problems with it opening either. Bebop had no problems with it, I have no problems with it.

I notice that the song file link you provided ends with ".php?id=415" , and not ".mp3" or ".wma", of which I would have expected instead. My guess is that the ".pho?id=415" URL extension was used so your song comes up from within our web browser instead of separately from our Media Player, right? My suggestion (if you want more universal playability) is to (re)post your song linking directly to the URL server address location of your song (and of which the address ends with your song's name and filetype extension: .mp3 or .wma. Just a thought.

All I can tell you is that it opens in the WMP. The problem is not with the URL or the attachment, it is with QT or Firefox, or both on your pc ...... honest. Although people on my forum are using Firefox and don't have a problem with it.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 10:02 AM

Scott,
Try this would you please. Go right to this thread: http://www.musicchops.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1855&forum_id=3

from there you will be able to click directly on the mp and try it.

thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 11:41 AM

No luck. Same problem. When Canon.MP3 is downloaded from the link (both via IE and Firefox), to my desktop, it says the file size is 0 bytes. Interestingly enough, I've been downloading & listening to many other people's songs (both WMA, MP3, RM, and Quicktime) off the internet with no problems whatsoever. All I can say at this point, after spending considerable time at this, I gave it my best shot. I suppose (in my case) hearing your song just wasn't meant to be. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-27-2006).]

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 01:47 PM

Thanks Terry,
Persistence is rewarded and I was able to download from your last link. Very slowly though, (9kb/s) compared with my usual download speed of around 500kb/s.
Loved it but discovered another software thing. Played it through the Nero player (which had grabbed the MP3 extension)and it was acceptable. Then decided to play it through Windows Media Player and it sounded much better.
Enjoyed listening but felt it should go a little slower (more measured pace). However I also have been toying with this piece for 15 years or so and I guess one builds in ones' own pace comfort zone. Given that a lot of our music playing (like driving a car) comes out of the sub-concious this is probably understandable.
Good work, you can be proud.
Keith

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/27/06 07:59 PM

Scott & Keith,
Scott thanks for trying. I know your time is too valuable to be spending on playing with this.

Keith thanks for the thoughts. Some thing awful bizarre. I click on it and it plays instanly.

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-27-2006).]

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/28/06 04:00 AM

Terry,

Finally listening to it! I tried it with my PC which has never had Quiktime installed and it worked first try - media player started right up when I clicked the link.

Really nice rendition! It's such a simple chord progression, yet breathtaking isn't it? I liked all the sounds you used and the playing sounds spot on. Maybe would have preferred it slightly slower, but not sure.

Great work

Carrie
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/28/06 12:28 PM

Scott , I also use another player as default...When I clicked on the link..Quicktime came up and asked if I wanted it to be my default player,I "Quickly" said no...after that the QT logo appears for a long period of time[2 minutes]..than Terry's song started to play...Maybe you are not patient enough[it seems like a long, long "Quick Time.."

Re: Pachelbel's Canon in D - 01/28/06 05:39 PM

CArrie
Thank you very much, I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry