New Member - Blink - needs info on g-70

Posted by: vin5451

New Member - Blink - needs info on g-70 - 12/18/08 07:18 AM

Hi, been reading posts around the forums for a long time but never actually joined, even though I'm the one who bought's Scott's Tyros I a couple of years ago.

Well I'm looking to upgrade and need a 76 key board. Not many out there since we all know they don't make many models with 76 keys - hense my query of the G-70.

"Blink" says it all - yes, I'm blind, but can navigate many boards once I learn the format and positions of buttons. The G-70, however, has the combinations of buttons and the dreaded Touch Screen. This is where my questions are going to.

If possible, maybe one of the avid G-70 users can email me off line to further discuss these questions (Fran???)

1. After reading the manual (at least the first 30 pages), I'm finding that Roland may have used a logical standard format for their representation of fields or links to selections for the Tone and Style areas. I need someone to verify this for me...is it 2 across and 5 down? I read that the display presents 10 selections at a time.

2. Is the 5>> icon in a normal or standard position on the screen when present? Close icon?? Gues, is there any other standard icons on the screens for voice and style selection besides the ones to select the item and the ones I mentioned??

3. Does anyone know of any other alternative selection method which can be used to select these items above? I read there's a numeric keypad but it's also on the screen and would also need to know the layout of that screen.

4. Anyone know of any computer based software which will edit real-time?

I am looking for a board which I can play without tweeking a lot if not at all. I heard the E-60, but felt it needed a lot of tweeking. I'm asking these questions to make a determination of whether an overlay can be setup to be placed over the screen and have markers for standard zones of the screen and pinpoint key contact areas.

Any info will be helpful.

Regards,

Vince

PS: Scott - if you read this, I may be selling the T1 tonight. Great board, but old styles and sounds. Very easy to navigate though - at least for the presets.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: New Member - Blink - needs info on g-70 - 12/18/08 09:20 AM

Hi Vince.

I believe you could master the touch screen on the G70..The layouts are the same for the style selections and the tone selections..Two columns of five..

The User programs are also similar, with two columns of four...Each have multiple page selections on the lowest portion of the touch screen..

One great feature..the G70 will beep when you make a proper touch on the screen..I think this will aid you in touching the designated areas..

The tone and style categories are dedicated buttons that will be easy for you to navigate.

The numeric pad has a dial you push and the numeric pad pops up on the display..it is arranged as a telephone dial layout..

Vince I have tutored a blind friend years ago to learn the very complicated Roland G800..and I am totally amazed how he mastered the G800..I believe the same can be accomplished with the touch screen on the G70..

There is an area to either side and across the top and bottom that you could put raised markers to find areas on the screen..as a crossword pattern..

There are some software programs at Roland-arranger.com that may aid you for programming user programs etc..

I am confident you could get around on the G70...with the learning skills I have seen in the past, working with my friend Jack..

When I worked with jack, he recorded my voice explaining each feature, default pages, clicks to get to each page etc..After he applied this learning process..he was as capable as I was with vision..Good luck, Fran
Posted by: vin5451

Re: New Member - Blink - needs info on g-70 - 12/18/08 11:16 AM

Thanks for confirming my speculation Fran.

Sounds like Roland did put some thought to the layout of their touch screen on these boards, not like Korg.

Yes, I figured as much that I would put some markings around the sides, or like I mentioned setting up a membrane with some markers on them for the key zones. Definitely sounds promissing.

I'll put this on my top list and watch for a used or B-stock board to keep that cost down. I did find a refurb one for a real good price, cheaper than any b-stock I see out there. If I buy now, by wife will get rid of me especially since I just bought an acoustic piano for the home.

If I need any help, I'll be in touch.

Regards,
Vince