Solton X1 or Roland VA-76

Posted by: xaxibao

Solton X1 or Roland VA-76 - 08/09/02 07:54 AM

Hi I am an Asian guy who likes to play music. Our music is mostly like ballroom dancing with the styles like Slow Rock, Rumba, Beguine, Paso, Tango, Slow Waltz and some Rock. I'd like your advises whether to go for a Roland or a Solton. I want a keyboard that I can easily program the styles. If you have played with those keyboards, your advises will greatly appreciated.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Solton X1 or Roland VA-76 - 08/09/02 08:25 AM

Both of those choices are terrific in the ballroom catagories, but the X1 has a great advantage with multiple outputs, mic input (WITH harmonizer)and a hard drive option.
The VA7 has a 100mb zip disk that stores LOTS of midi files, but no real mic input.....just the variphrase input, and it's too sensitive to use as a "live" vocal mic.
I just got the new XD9, and I think it has the best sound I ever heard as far as the ryhthm section goes - the solo sounds are tremendous too, but lots of the others are as well.
Posted by: xaxibao

Re: Solton X1 or Roland VA-76 - 08/09/02 01:12 PM

Thanks Uncle Dave
I heard that the XD9 is the newest Solton keyboard. Is it better than the X1? I just talked to a salesman and he recommend me to go for the xd9. Should I go for the xd9 or the s1?
Posted by: eyrec

Re: Solton X1 or Roland VA-76 - 08/24/02 04:41 AM

If you want the best and prefer 76 notes as I always do, go for the SD1 if your budget stretches, otherwise the XD9 is excellent. The VA76 is far slower to use in live situations than the SD1. I used to have a VA76 and wished I'd never purchased it. Having lost quite a bit trading it in after a few months, I'm now very happy with my SD1.
The Roland G1000 is also very good for a 76 note and can be picked up quite cheaply these days. Also, check out the new Genesys, KN7000 and Tyros. My Genesys is now on it's way to go with my SD1 and G1000.

Quote:
Originally posted by xaxibao:
Thanks Uncle Dave
I heard that the XD9 is the newest Solton keyboard. Is it better than the X1? I just talked to a salesman and he recommend me to go for the xd9. Should I go for the xd9 or the s1?
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Solton X1 or Roland VA-76 - 08/24/02 08:01 AM

Is the X1 better than the XD9 .... hmmmmmm, that depends on your specific needs. If the piano sound is important to you-XD9, if sampling is important-X1, if multiple outs are important-X1, if aftertopuch-X1, Drum remix-XD9 .... see what I mean? There are things on each side of this coin that will appeal to you.
For me - the XD9 is better suited than the X1, but if buttons and navigation are not something you fool with during a performance, then I'd rather have a VA7 I think. If you need a mic input - then the Ketron is your only option with these two choices.