Add to SynthZone

Posted by: bruno123

Add to SynthZone - 11/11/21 03:54 AM

Post your POSITIVE thoughts of how to make SZ alive again.

SZ has the best format ever – and for the better part it has added so much to so many.
I feel this is the best way to honor Nigel and SZ. SZ has been my home for many years.
John C.
Posted by: organgrinder

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/11/21 04:31 AM

Please don't let this wonderful home of friends die. We all have differences but we also have much more in common. I myself hate facebook. I don't like the way it works and it's not as friendly and it is much harder to post and use. To me, this is home and Nigel made it that way. I'm sure most of us wold like to get back to the lively way this site used to be but maybe with a little more care towards the other members when we have heated discussions. We are all different and dand that's the way it should be but that is our strong point, not a weakness. Let's try to relight the fire that used to be SZ.
MEL
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/11/21 09:03 AM

I don't post much these days, mainly because I only get about 10 minutes a day to go online. Much of my days are spent taking care of my loving wife of nearly 60 years, which is pretty much a full-time, 24/7 job for an old codger that is in failing health as well.

I do, however, go to the zone daily to see if I can be of assistance to someone, but lately, the activity level has been at the lowest point in its history.

I will continue to support the zone in any way within my limited means,

Gary cool
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/11/21 10:46 AM

My good friend Gary is partially why Synthzone meant so much to many of us.

Thing is, Gary and I are as different as two people can be....musical tastes and experience...vocation....POLITICS.

Thing is, we agree that we disagree, but concentrate on the ways we are alike (music experience, backgrounds as commercial writers, an interest in boats and more).

In the last few years, I look forward to our weekly phone calls. The internet is great, but hearing a voice is BETTER.

I'm proud to call Gary a friend.

I think putting some life back in the individual interactions here is well worth the effort.

Thanks so much,

R.
Posted by: Diki

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/11/21 11:30 AM

About the only thing that’s going to save here is a renewed interest in MUSIC.

The pace of new models has slowed to a crawl, which used to drive much of the site traffic, arguing over what’s ’best’, reading about how Donny’s latest purchase is the best thing ever (and reading a couple of months later how it isn’t!), endless discussions about how things like chord sequencers or 76 note keyboards are unnecessary (if our brand of choice didn’t offer them!) until our favorite brand adds them (in which case they’re essential now!), basically anything BUT music…

But, in the end, isn’t that why we play? As a piece of furniture, most arrangers are pretty garish, as a piece of technology most of them trail synths and workstations and especially software by decades, as a means of playing contemporary music, they are just the wrong tool for the job…

But start to talk about MUSIC, start to talk about technique, start to talk about how best to achieve classic genres like big band, jazz, rock and roll, even reggae, well, that’s a bottomless well..!

The thing is, where ELSE do most of us go to chat with fellow musicians? Is there a watering hole where we DO congregate to talk about music, and we just come here to talk about one specific type of keyboard? Somehow, I rather doubt it.

But in lieu of Yamaha and Roland and Korg and Ketron and Technics and Casio and all the manufacturers that used to make arrangers dropping several new models each year (cumulatively) for us to argue over and obsess about, and ultimately distract use from what they are really designed to do, maybe now’s the time to get back to fundamentals?

It’s not about WHAT you use, it’s about what you PLAY.

It strikes me that’s a deeper conversation that can drive a site for decades.

Want to talk politics? Take it to the Bar. Or Facebook. Or the ballot box.

Let’s talk MUSIC 🎹♥️😎
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/11/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By Diki
About the only thing that’s going to save here is a renewed interest in MUSIC.

let’s talk MUSIC 🎹♥️😎

I agree, and I try, but honestly I feel like I get shunned when I post my music. I see people glad to comment on hearing aides and discontinued keyboards but they can't take the time to comment about a performance. I sometimes even wonder why I bother posting my music here.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 12:54 AM

I agree, and I try, but honestly I feel like I get shunned when I post my music. I see people glad to comment on hearing aides and discontinued keyboards but they can't take the time to comment about a performance. I sometimes even wonder why I bother posting my music here.
__

This saddens me. Here is one of the nicest and most talented contributors feeling shunned. It is disheartening enough not being acknowledged for a musical contribution without feeling downright shunned. I seriously doubt anyone here would do this, but The fact remains that Paul feels this way, and, perhaps, others are losing heart for the same reason-DEAD SILENCE.

I am not one to lead a rally, but agree with Diki and others that resurgence of this fine forum is possible with a little support. I, for one, will try.
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 04:57 AM

I like SZ, but an expression comes to mind about the horse which you can lead to water but you will not make her drink.

Personally I’m not very comfortable talking much about music, I guess, talking about equipment is just tempting as it is less personal and allows to distract oneself from all other bother.

Times change, hardware synths and workstations aren’t in their prime right now. And when it comes to virtual instruments, there are just so many of them, it’s hard to focus.

And the saddest thing of course is that a lot of members are gone (passed away), I guess, in some cases we didn’t even notice when it happened, we just see an absence of someone.

I have about 1400 subscribers on my YouTube channel, but within a month each my video is vied by ~300 people, “liked” by 15-20 and commented by 4, or 2 or by no one at all. This is the way it is. In fact, if we were speaking about some live event, it’d be considered as an opportunity to get listened by 300 people.

Another thought: people who make Wikipedia aren’t particularly rewarded for their efforts, at least I think so. But it helps them to understand better the subject when they describe it to the world.

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 07:46 AM

I think that the average restaurant or bar audience is very similar to our membership here when it comes to feedback on our playing!

A few will come up and talk in depth about how much they enjoyed your show, a few more might just drop off a nice tip in the jar, a whole bunch of them came out for a meal or a drink, and whether you are there or not doesn’t really matter, and the very odd customer will come up and tell you that perhaps you were too loud or quiet for them, or you didn’t play enough country, or whatever!

It’s a fine line on a forum between neglect and respect… and just because a post containing a recording doesn’t generate a ton of responses, don’t worry..! It got heard, you can be assured.

The thing is, what do you WANT to hear? We’re a very diverse group, ranging from one finger beginners to full two handed pros. That, if everybody comments, generates a very wide range of opinions. Not to mention, our membership has a huge range of ages and tastes in music. Sometimes it’s difficult to separate one’s opinion of a performance from one’s tastes in music in general. I’m a bit guilty here, sometimes it’s hard to work up much enthusiasm for the decidedly light pop song selection that some of us like playing!

But we are getting older, and even as an aging 65, I get reminded from time to time that we have members that are a good 25 years my senior, so perhaps those old chestnuts are to be expected. We are also global… tastes in Europe vary wildly from the US, or Latin America. Diversity is good, but it also works against getting an enthusiastic response for a form of music few of us listen to or know much about.

Personally, I try to look for constructive criticism, and try to offer it where I think it might do good. And I generally post what few recordings I do in an effort to illustrate a particular technique that might help those looking to improve. But often I hear things that either I don’t relate to, or I have nothing constructive to offer. I’m sorry if I don’t always respond if I have little to say..!

But keep them coming… in lieu of endless arguments about features, the way forward really needs to focus more on the music we make. 🎹😎
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 08:17 AM

Quite a few regular posters left and we sure don't want to get into the why. We all know.

We can only hope those "regulars" come back and can just let it go

Life is short.
Posted by: zuki

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 10:24 AM

Diki, I think you explained it well. Many viewers keep their thoughts silent, so not to offend anyone, or to not over glorify another. It took me a while to establish a stronger backbone and I started posting again. Hey, I have the toughest critic in the world, within my family walls. I sent my new website to my wife and she said to take down everything but my instrumental! How's that for confidence. I played a party for a dying friend yesterday. It was supposed to be for a few family members. Drove 3 1/2 hours and couldn't even find a parking place. I was not prepared for 50 or more people. They shoved me in a corner and had my speakers behind a lazy boy, on the floor. Kids were running around my equipment and the mother told me to turn it down. Luckily, I had done a few songs for my friend, but I was so upset after that comment, I turned off the keyboard and promptly left. To make the day worse, I checked my phone at 6pm and read "Jim, where are you, you were supposed to be here for the Veteran's special at 2 pm". I couldn't even sleep last night and had thoughts of selling my gear. Stuff happens, but if you like what you do and your soul enjoys the happiness that your music brings, it's all ok.

solojim.com
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By zuki
Diki, I think you explained it well. Many viewers keep their thoughts silent, so not to offend anyone, or to not over glorify another. It took me a while to establish a stronger backbone and I started posting again. Hey, I have the toughest critic in the world, within my family walls. I sent my new website to my wife and she said to take down everything but my instrumental! How's that for confidence. I played a party for a dying friend yesterday. It was supposed to be for a few family members. Drove 3 1/2 hours and couldn't even find a parking place. I was not prepared for 50 or more people. They shoved me in a corner and had my speakers behind a lazy boy, on the floor. Kids were running around my equipment and the mother told me to turn it down. Luckily, I had done a few songs for my friend, but I was so upset after that comment, I turned off the keyboard and promptly left. To make the day worse, I checked my phone at 6pm and read "Jim, where are you, you were supposed to be here for the Veteran's special at 2 pm". I couldn't even sleep last night and had thoughts of selling my gear. Stuff happens, but if you like what you do and your soul enjoys the happiness that your music brings, it's all ok.

Perhaps I'm missing something, you know, I'm still learning English... but if there was something about your singing, I'd say that you ought to be confident about it; singing is definitely one of advantages you have; I'm not even sure that a common audience pays a lot of attention to playing an arranger, but singing is usually something which everyone understands. You know, there're people (like me) who actually can't sing and when they try it's either laughable or "what's the hell is that?", and there are people who can sing, and you are one of them, it means that listening to it is comfortable, and I'm 100% comfortable with listening to your singing.

As for some unfortunate job you had recently, I understand your feelings. When I started to play in public, I had to play an acoustic piano, although all my previous practice was only with keyboards. Somehow for a long time I was mostly well-recieved. Then the economy got worse, people stopped to tip, basically people started to be less optimistic and less open to different kinds of music. What I'm trying to say is that although I was less experienced at first and don't even want to think about how I sounded there, I felt successful back then, and now when I think that I have more to offer, the general atmosphere makes me to question everything.

Last gig I had was practically ruined by kids and managers, and when there are not so many gigs at all it surely makes you wonder, but so far I just intent to minimize my efforts, I mean, if they don't care, neither will I, I'll just bring one keyboard, one speaker and will be playing to myself...

It often seems that things in life are rather independent from each other, and the things people say to us or do to us are not really about us, they are just about how they feel in this very moment and a lot of time people feel uncomfortable not really knowing the reason for that.

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 11:59 AM

I think the thing to concentrate on is the technique and the utilization of the keyboard. Music tastes and abilities vary wildly, but one thing I hope pretty much everyone here has is a desire to improve…. After all, why else come here?!

I always liked Don Mason’s demos, because there was usually something neat with a guitar sound he pulled off, and that was something I could look at and try to copy or adopt. I try and take that into most things I listen to. Even if it’s something I would never do, you look deep enough, there’s probably at least ONE thing worth adding to your bag of tricks.

I do sometimes wonder if we listen hard enough to our demos before we post, though. One of the bees in my bonnet is how a large percentage of amateur demos (and even many pro ones too!) swamp the backing with the solo sound, and this is one of the easiest things to fix. The critic who’s advice you are the likeliest to listen to is always yourself! Have a careful listen BEFORE you post, and see if some common problems can quickly be fixed. Try the two take system. Listen to the first take, adjust your mixes, do another… it’s 99% of the time the better take!

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 12:09 PM

Paul, I apologize for not commenting enough for the quality and professionalism in your performances.

What impressed me was the connection to an authentic, historic genre. I thought long and hard, but decided that some here would think that leading a discussion in that direction would be jet another example of me veering off course.

Your contribution is unique, professional and should be appreciated.

Jim, that was a day from hell. Hang in there. you work a lot, and you earn the work. Several times a year I remember your 4 hour visit fondly and symbolically kick myself in the A** over not taking the time to visit.

My thing is, it's one thing to share the workings of keyboards, but I also value learning how people get jobs, their playing history and what they're working on.

To me, that's a major takeaway from this site.

Be well, all,

Russ

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 12:11 PM

Hey Jim, sorry to hear about your gig from hell, especially, after much effort and terrible conditions. I have weathered the same elements, but not a perfect storm like you had. I have up and left a venue a couple of times due to, what I considered, personal affronts, not music criticism. I have to admit, however, that I am not thick skinned about my chosen trade, but am venturing out of my comfort zone to bring people an enhanced performance. Because of the Covid-19 hiatus, I have worked hard to improve without having to prepare for my band, Karaoke, dinners, and NH gigs.

The new me has it's inherent dangers, as well as personal rewards. The venue I played for has shut down after being there three times a week for seventeen years. I am picking up some party gigs that requires a more aggressive approach. I will put on my hardhat and steel jock strap and let her go.

I may get bruised feelings, but, like Jim, I have been around too long to fold.

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 12:27 PM

For every job from hell, there’s job that was a joy. Which ones you remember can govern your life… 🎹😎

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 01:15 PM

A sage comment to be sure.

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 03:05 PM

[/quote]

Perhaps I'm missing something, you know, I'm still learning English... but if there was something about your singing, I'd say that you ought to be confident about it; singing is definitely one of advantages you have; I'm not even sure that a common audience pays a lot of attention to playing an arranger, but singing is usually something which everyone understands. You know, there're people (like me) who actually can't sing and when they try it's either laughable or "what's the hell is that?", and there are people who can sing, and you are one of them, it means that listening to it is comfortable, and I'm 100% comfortable with listening to your singing.

Kab, you are so intuitive.....yes, it was all about my singing. I was told I can do better. Brings me back to Diki's point: practice, practice, practice and then submit. In school you learn to write a business or other letter and send it a week later, after proofreading.

And thank you for the nice compliment too smile

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Hey Jim, sorry to hear about your gig from hell, especially, after much effort and terrible conditions. I have weathered the same elements, but not a perfect storm like you had. I have up and left a venue a couple of times due to, what I considered, personal affronts, not music criticism. I have to admit, however, that I am not thick skinned about my chosen trade, but am venturing out of my comfort zone to bring people an enhanced performance. Because of the Covid-19 hiatus, I have worked hard to improve without having to prepare for my band, Karaoke, dinners, and NH gigs.

The new me has it's inherent dangers, as well as personal rewards. The venue I played for has shut down after being there three times a week for seventeen years. I am picking up some party gigs that requires a more aggressive approach. I will put on my hardhat and steel jock strap and let her go.

I may get bruised feelings, but, like Jim, I have been around too long to fold.

Bernie, you and I sound alike. Thanks for the post

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/12/21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
My good friend Gary is partially why Synthzone meant so much to many of us.

Thing is, Gary and I are as different as two people can be....musical tastes and experience...vocation....POLITICS.

Thing is, we agree that we disagree, but concentrate on the ways we are alike (music experience, backgrounds as commercial writers, an interest in boats and more).

In the last few years, I look forward to our weekly phone calls. The internet is great, but hearing a voice is BETTER.

I'm proud to call Gary a friend.

I think putting some life back in the individual interactions here is well worth the effort.

Thanks so much,

R.

That's OK Russ, you were a busy guy that night. I enjoyed your performance and guitar playing! Hope to meet up one day again:)

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/14/21 01:02 PM

This saddens me. Here is one of the nicest and most talented contributors feeling shunned. It is disheartening enough not being acknowledged for a musical contribution without feeling downright shunned. I seriously doubt anyone here would do this, but The fact remains that Paul feels this way, and, perhaps, others are losing heart for the same reason-DEAD SILENCE.

I am not one to lead a rally, but agree with Diki and others that resurgence of this fine forum is possible with a little support. I, for one, will try. [/quote]

Thanks Bernie, I don't think anyone is deliberately trying to shun anyone, I just think perhaps we don't want to take the time to fully listen or comment on someone music. I understand we are flooded with all sorts of music to listen to nowadays.

I'm just trying to say, when some uploads there music here, we as a community should try to show some acknowledgment, be it constructive criticism, praise, or simple appreciation. I think we all as musicians realize how much effort it takes to record, prepare for a performance,
land a gig...

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/14/21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By Kabinopus

Personally I’m not very comfortable talking much about music, I guess, talking about equipment is just tempting as it is less personal and allows to distract oneself from all other bother.

This is true, I get it. But since we don't have a "like" button here, we need to find ways to express our appreciation with words. You can always ask the performer about the gear they used, right?

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/14/21 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By Diki
I think that the average restaurant or bar audience is very similar to our membership here when it comes to feedback on our playing!

A few will come up and talk in depth about how much they enjoyed your show, a few more might just drop off a nice tip in the jar, a whole bunch of them came out for a meal or a drink, and whether you are there or not doesn’t really matter, and the very odd customer will come up and tell you that perhaps you were too loud or quiet for them, or you didn’t play enough country, or whatever!

It’s a fine line on a forum between neglect and respect… and just because a post containing a recording doesn’t generate a ton of responses, don’t worry..! It got heard, you can be assured.

The thing is, what do you WANT to hear? We’re a very diverse group, ranging from one finger beginners to full two handed pros. That, if everybody comments, generates a very wide range of opinions. Not to mention, our membership has a huge range of ages and tastes in music. Sometimes it’s difficult to separate one’s opinion of a performance from one’s tastes in music in general. I’m a bit guilty here, sometimes it’s hard to work up much enthusiasm for the decidedly light pop song selection that some of us like playing!

But we are getting older, and even as an aging 65, I get reminded from time to time that we have members that are a good 25 years my senior, so perhaps those old chestnuts are to be expected. We are also global… tastes in Europe vary wildly from the US, or Latin America. Diversity is good, but it also works against getting an enthusiastic response for a form of music few of us listen to or know much about.

Personally, I try to look for constructive criticism, and try to offer it where I think it might do good. And I generally post what few recordings I do in an effort to illustrate a particular technique that might help those looking to improve. But often I hear things that either I don’t relate to, or I have nothing constructive to offer. I’m sorry if I don’t always respond if I have little to say..!

But keep them coming… in lieu of endless arguments about features, the way forward really needs to focus more on the music we make. 🎹😎

Good points, but SZ is not a restaurant/night club/ full of "layman"
True we come in many skill sets, ages groups, nationalities, and musical tastes, but we all love keyboards and music.

Constructive criticism can be nice and is probably welcome by most, but little to no comments leaves me wondering if it's worth it to post music here.

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/14/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By zuki

solojim.com

Jim, thanks for sharing your experiences. I think we can all relate to those kind of crappy gigs, and I could top yours with some real horrible experiences that I've had but that's a topic for another thread and I really don't want to go there now!

Regarding your wife's reaction to your recordings, maybe she just thinks you can do better or considers you more of an instrumentalist than a vocalist. Either way, keep working on it, that's all we can do anyways, you might as will enjoy the journey!

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/14/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Paul, I apologize for not commenting enough for the quality and professionalism in your performances.

What impressed me was the connection to an authentic, historic genre. I thought long and hard, but decided that some here would think that leading a discussion in that direction would be jet another example of me veering off course.

Your contribution is unique, professional and should be appreciated.

Russ

Thanks Russ

Thanks Russ. I know my videos are just done on a cell phone with the built in mic, no high end productional value, but I am happy you're able to appreciate what is perhaps a different American experience than many are accustomed to here on SZ.

Your expertise in jazz, your long and active performance career, and film score experience is unique too, and I appreciate what you contribute here too.

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/14/21 02:54 PM

The hardest thing in the world is to listen to yourself but as if you were listening to someone else!

To get the most out of demos, and to improve your demos over time, you have to listen to yourself and forget it’s you. How would you feel about what you just recorded if it was someone else? Would you be a bit more critical? Would you be able to look past the satisfaction in playing it and recording it, and apply the same sort of constructive criticism to yourself that you would give the performance if it was someone else? Most of us can quickly spot the flaws in other players’ demos, but it’s harder to be as critical to ourselves.

Much of this comes from us not actually ‘listening’ to nothing but the sound coming from the speakers. Our memories of playing it, things we thought about it as we were playing, the attention we needed to divert from listening to ourselves as we played to things like remembering the words, the chords, the buttons we needed to press, it all gets in the way of hearing what’s actually recorded.

One of the things I try to do is jump cut from target CD’s, or other demos that have been well received to my latest demo. Don’t listen to the entire thing, that’s going to bring back those memories of the performance. But if you jump cut (that is, rapidly switch from one song to another using a DAW or some other program) you can often hear things clearly that longer listening tends to conceal.

Too much reverb on a vocal? Lead sounds a bit too loud? Drums buried in the mix? Solo rushing? Sometimes, these sorts of problems jump out better without the whole song distracting you. But quick cross cut comparison to pro CD’s can quickly expose a problem that isn’t hard to fix. A bit less vocal reverb, a few numbers lower on the lead volume slider, a few more on the drums volume (and that often helps with rushing all by itself!), save the new registration, do another take.

If you can find a way to listen to yourself as if it’s NOT you, it’s amazing how quickly the solutions to producing demos you’re proud of will appear….

Re: Add to SynthZone - 11/16/21 12:21 PM

Paul, if we lived closer together, I'd partner with you in a heartbeat on film scores.I'd be the student, with the goal of learning to incorporate a new and growing (in popularity) style.

You are certainly n the short list of top pro's here.

Be well.

PS I'd flirt with your pretty lady, too, but I'm so old now I forget why that was so important years ago (LOL).

Be well, friend. You ARE appreciated.

Russ