Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved!

Posted by: captain Russ

Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/19/21 11:05 AM

Like most of us here, I haven't played a live job since February.

Likewise, my studio work, which used to involve up to 30 hours straight in a room filled with corporate types (the sponsor/producer),engineer(s), film editors, corporate lawyers, Marketing people, all involved in editing on the fly, and recording the track to match... that's all gone, too! I refuse to be in a room for any length of time with a collection of people who are out in the public.

But, what's left is the traditional score work where I get the film edit and write to a completely edited film, send the track to whomever, get it back for final changes, send to off and wait for the check or wire transfer.

The resulting work doesn't pay as much and isn't the precise production I have always done. Many times doing it the old "top shelf" way, I had a lot of input into the edit; sometimes doing re-writers to make things run smoothly or be more effective.

The point is, there is still work out there; it has just evolved.....AGAIN!

Then, I have my house jobs; films for my direct clients where I write, produce, record tracks, do final edits and post on sites I create. There are 20-30 of those scheduled for the balance of the year.

I didn't think it would ever happen, but I miss live play a little.

Whatever happens in the future, I'm so grateful for what I have been able to be involved with, and will "hang in there" as long as I can.

Here's hoping the best for EVERYONE here!

Russ

Posted by: lahawk

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/19/21 12:50 PM

Russ

We have to try and keep ourselves occupied, as things have changed for sure. You have the right approach to accept that change and move forward with what's available.

Plus, it sounds like you have just enough to keep you out of trouble. smile

Ditto on Here's hoping the best for EVERYONE here!
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/20/21 04:33 PM

Russ Nice to have many irons in the fire and for good money but for most of us its been rough. I don't need the work but I like to get out and play. I think we are still a year awy from normalcy. Otherwise its been playing in my studio on my BK9 and lately more and more on my FP90 Piano. Damn love that thing. Make s me want to play and I've even pulled out some old Classical music I have.
Music is therapeutic and I'm glad I still have most of my abilities to play.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/21/21 01:46 AM

I sort of mirror Bill's activities in that I am taking advantage of this down time to work on new skills and reorganize my playlists. I am trying to reinvent myself for better times. Hey, I may be fooling myself, but I don't care, as it is the journey along the way that keeps me going.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/21/21 03:08 AM

Bernie, both you and Bill have a very healthy outlook; (my opinion) We enjoy creating music.

Yes, playing out is missed, but I started playing music because I love doing it. Later, I began playing for people.

I never played a job using background music. If I was not able to play a song well, I played the original recording. This week I started working on a playlist with background music – there are so many ways to enjoy music and my keyboard.

Please share your ideas as they come, John C.

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/22/21 01:17 AM

John, how right you are. It seems that I have blinders on for a long time. I had a routine of preparing for a job, coming home and noting how songs could be improved, but not seeing the big picture. I was content to sit behind a keyboard playing my styles for hundreds of tunes, always with an active left hand. That is fine for passive dinner jobs, but I knew I could be more. Vocals, I thought, were needed at some venues but I never learned to comp properly, so turned to backing tracks or left hand chording. This turned into hosting my own Karaoke show every Wednesday for fifteen years with 15-20 singers. Up until Covid-19, I lead the weekly dance at our large cultural Center with vocal and instrumental solos thrown in. NH's were also in my schedule.

At present, I see that the broad swath of material I have been laboring under, diffused my efforts to improve, I have decided that I will mainly use the hundred or so memorized songs for the style playing, sing and play over my best sixty backing tracks, and add my DM48 wind controller, out in front, with my wireless setup.

Sorry for my rambling.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/22/21 05:21 AM

Sounds good Bernie but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has to be part of the equation as well. In other words, make sure your new approach is an addition, not a replacement. I think it's great to strive for self-improvement, set new (musical) goals, and do whatever is necessary to keep those creative juices flowing; however, it's also important to keep those 'dance with the one what brung you' chops in ready mode. The older we get, the easier and quicker it is for our playing chops to erode...at least that's the case with me. With the exception of my organ, I find it harder to smoothly operate the equipment and remember performance details for tunes that I haven't played in awhile (age will catch up to you). I personally try to minimize this by pretty much just sticking to organ and using the other intruments for adding boring, awkward, ill-conceived, cliche-ridden, solos on top smile. Works for me smile.

I've rambled on to the point that I don't remember the point I was trying to make....maybe it was -- Bernie, you've been pretty sucessful doing what you do so far; be creative, try new things, but don't let (Covid-19 induced) boredom seduce you into abandoning what has worked so well for you in the past. Now I'm rambling.

chas
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/22/21 05:52 AM

Bernie, beware of too much deep thinking, do what feels right to you. As Chas said, you have been successful in the past.

John C.

Re: Work is STILL out there. It's just evolved! - 02/23/21 01:02 AM

Chas, John, thank you for your sage advice. There is no way I am discarding 55 years worth of experience and music. My new ventures are to simply add some more tools to vary material when it is appropriate. It is worth noting that there have been times I have thought some of my old songs were getting a little long in the tooth. However, my wife reminded me that I play to various groups of seniors who love the older tunes they grew up with. I will just tweek what I have, and add the that.