My PSR-S950 Concert

Posted by: Kabinopus

My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/29/20 04:00 PM

Hello, SynthZone!

So far I'm back to my PSR-S950. This is the first time I try to make such a long video. Although it was recorded by parts. I don't expect you to watch it all, but maybe some parts of it would be interesting for you.

I still want to play my nylon guitar, but have a feeling that I'm more connected to arrangers. Would be nice to get focused on one thing, but it's so easy to get distracted.

You know what's funny? Although I didn't mention any names of the songs I played in this video, YouTube instantly recognized them. So money from ads will go to some music companies. What an artificial intelligence. Scary!
Posted by: Nigel

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/29/20 08:48 PM

Great job. And I really liked your right hand "nylon guitar" work.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/30/20 03:52 AM

Hi, I find that I play my guitar when I need to get away from my keyboard. I can express myself better on my guitar, it’s all about me.

Have you tried to combine both, either a backing track, or recording together?

John C.

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/30/20 06:49 AM

Thank you, Nigel!

John, as for backing tracks, they make me feel less free. Actually, I don’t even use registrations much, it’s something about predetermination which bothers me.

You know better than me that when it comes to amplifying the sound of a classical guitar it’s hard to preserve its natural sound. A nylon guitar on PSR is monotonous comparing to a real one, but in many cases it sounds more authentic than piezo pickups. But maybe I need to study this subject more closely.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/30/20 10:01 AM

Very nice what I’ve heard so far, Kabinopus. May I ask the name of the third song around the 7 minute mark which features a pan flute voice ? It sounds so familiar yet the title is not coming to me.
Posted by: lahawk

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/30/20 10:06 AM

From what I watched, it's great, I love the right hand guitar play too. The S-950 sounds awesome in your control. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/30/20 10:27 AM

Very enjoyable.
Thanks for sharing.
Eric

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/30/20 11:48 AM

Thank you for watching, guys,

Montunoman, it’s “tic tic tac” by “carrapicho”. A Russian cover was popular here decades ago; I tried to play it once and realized it sounded fun on an arranger.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/30/20 01:57 PM

Yes, of course. It was driving me crazy not remembering the title !
Posted by: donpatt

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/31/20 02:26 PM

What I heard was very good! I really liked the nylon guitar; very authentic. I enjoyed all the latin tunes!

Very interesting arrangement on Besame Mucho!

Don P
Posted by: Steve A

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 07/31/20 04:15 PM

I watched you last night. Love how relaxed you are when playing. You now your stuff

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 08/01/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By donpatt
What I heard was very good! I really liked the nylon guitar; very authentic. I enjoyed all the latin tunes!

Very interesting arrangement on Besame Mucho!

Don P
Thank you, Don; in fact, I came up with this arrangement during this recording; I guess, that’s why it’s called “arranger keyboard “ :-)

Originally Posted By Steve A
I watched you last night. Love how relaxed you are when playing. You now your stuff
Thank you Steve.
Posted by: Gerry M

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 08/01/20 03:47 PM

Thanks for sharing. It was a welcome interlude in an otherwise boring day, stuck at home and 110 F outside. Well played and innovative use of sounds and rhythms. One question: Which piano voice are you using? My 950 and 975 doesn't sound that way, a little tinny. Yours is more robust

From Arizona

Gerry

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 08/02/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By Gerry M
Thanks for sharing. It was a welcome interlude in an otherwise boring day, stuck at home and 110 F outside. Well played and innovative use of sounds and rhythms. One question: Which piano voice are you using? My 950 and 975 doesn't sound that way, a little tinny. Yours is more robust

From Arizona

Gerry

110 F is dangerously hot indeed! About 80 F is when I stop feeling comfortable going outside.

About the sound this is what I wrote a while ago about it, it’s still the same:

Originally Posted By Kabinopus

As for the sound, I choose “Live! PopGrand” and then turn off the DSP (which is by default is on for this voice). Then as Right2 I choose Legacy>Strings>Slow Strings and turn its Brighness to zero. While the volume of the Right1 voice is set to 127, the Right2 voice has a volume of 55, but this is just how I use it. Obviously, it’s saved into my registration memory and I usually recall this setting every time I turn on the instrument.

I thought too that PSR piano is not rich enough and switched to Juno DS; but so far I’m back to S950; it sounds nice with styles and, well, “predictable”.

Here’s some addition to my concert:

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 08/02/20 01:13 PM

Thanks Kabinopus for how to set the piano voice. Fairly new member so missed your earlier explanation. I watched the 2nd concert and enjoyed it very much, especially "La Vie en Rose". It is amazing what the PSR can do by simply putting the entire keyboard one ocatve higher. Being an ex-pat from Europe I still enjoy French Chanson. The PSR's styles and voices can make them sound realistic.

Gerry

Re: My PSR-S950 Concert - 08/02/20 04:49 PM

I was successful in setting up your piano voice.Sounds great, especially for Ballads and some orchestral works. As a side note: the 975 has a S.Art Grand Pop, but has a "Live Pop Piano" in the legacy file.

Thanks again!

Gerry