Genos Price Raised by $500.00!

Posted by: Mikem

Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/03/20 01:14 PM

Hi, everyone. smile

This week, I discovered that the price of a brand new Genos has been raised by a whopping $500.00! Of course, I'm talking about prices in Canada. I was seriously considering buying one, but this just irks me so much! It was already a very high $6,000.00, and now, it $6,500.00! Plus, 15% sales tax!

I'll wait and see if the price is going to come down. Can anyone from Canada, and especially from the Quebec area (city of Montreal or Laval) recommend a store with good prices? Thank you very much!

smile
Posted by: Taike

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/03/20 03:15 PM

I'd suggest getting a used one.

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/03/20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By Taike
I'd suggest getting a used one.

I'm thinking about it. Thanks. smile
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/03/20 04:53 PM

What a strange time for a price hike, don't you think? Good idea to buy used, especially when Genos 2 hits the market but I guess that's not happening any time soon....
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/03/20 10:42 PM

It's the worldwide situation and value of the money and stock marked that's make great differences.
Here in Norway the NOK has dropped so much compared to US$, € and £ that prices for imported stuff here is sky high over what it's been for many years. 😱

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/04/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By montunoman
What a strange time for a price hike, don't you think? Good idea to buy used, especially when Genos 2 hits the market but I guess that's not happening any time soon....

The Genos was demonstrated by Martin Harris on April 5th, 2016. That's 4 years ago. I wonder if the Genos replacement will come out this year or next? Anyone have an idea?

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/04/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
It's the worldwide situation and value of the money and stock marked that's make great differences.
Here in Norway the NOK has dropped so much compared to US$, € and £ that prices for imported stuff here is sky high over what it's been for many years. 😱

You're right. Many businesses lost money during this Covid-19 period, and I guess that they need to catch up. Hope prices come back down soon. smile
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/04/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By Mikem

The Genos was demonstrated by Martin Harris on April 5th, 2016. That's 4 years ago. I wonder if the Genos replacement will come out this year or next? Anyone have an idea?

I have no idea, but I would assume that there maybe a slow down of new keyboards and other technology coming out due to lost productivity time and this horrible economic and health crisis that we are all in.
Posted by: Steve A

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/04/20 06:44 PM

500 MORE reasons to stick with my KORG PA 4x

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/04/20 09:21 PM

I have no idea, but I would assume that there maybe a slow down of new keyboards and other technology coming out due to lost productivity time and this horrible economic and health crisis that we are all in.

It shouldn't be up to the customer to make up for that loss. The other keyboard brands didn't raise their prices. Plus adding another $500 would scare off potential buyers. They'd sell more keyboards by lowering their prices.
Posted by: Sokratis 1974

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/04/20 10:24 PM

Hello..Genos not release 2016 but 2017.

In the 12nd September Yamaha presented the first video trailer

In the 2nd October 2017 Yamaha presented the first video of campaign with Alex Christensen

And the release time it was in 2nd November 2017
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/index.html
I bought it from Greece in early 2018 because then he arrived the first stock.
Best Regards

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By Sokratis 1974

Hello..Genos not release 2016 but 2017.

In the 12nd September Yamaha presented the first video trailer

In the 2nd October 2017 Yamaha presented the first video of campaign with Alex Christensen

And the release time it was in 2nd November 2017
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/index.html
I bought it from Greece in early 2018 because then he arrived the first stock.
Best Regards

Right you are, Sokratis! My mistake. Thanks for posting the right Genos release date. smile
Posted by: wrinkles303

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 09:59 AM

too rich for my pay scale, i'm out.

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 10:41 AM

I'm on the fence...Can anyone tell me how many MPG I can expect when I'm driving in the city?
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 10:43 AM

In Russia prices for instruments are also about 15% higher than it used to be in January-February. Although now I see that Korg has lowered them a bit.

I often try to imagine what would I buy right now if I had to start everything from scratch; an arranger used to be my priority; but right now, I guess, I would consider Yamaha MODX 7.

For this money I don’t really see other instruments which provide such a quality of acoustic sounds while being also capable when it comes to contemporary music.

While sound wise Montage or Genos are not that superior to MODX, as I understand, they are better mechanically.

Still, I have a feeling that Yamaha targets a different group of people when it comes to Genos; perhaps they don’t expect them to be very pragmatic about this purchase. But I know that professionals have to buy it as well.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 10:45 AM

Current prices here in Europe? I dont really see a raise..
With what happened in the UK, companies getting fined for forcing prices in shops

Looks like the Genos now sells for €3300 or €3400.. and thats including 20% sales tax.

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus
Current prices here in Europe? I dont really see a raise..

No, simply because €, £ and US$ is at higher rate than it's been for a long time.
We're not a member of EU, and NOK has dropped a lot. Genos here is now listed at NOK 59.670,-, but at 'sale' for NOK 47.900,-. That's € 4.470 / US$ 5027.
That's a lot more than I did pay 2 years ago......
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 05:10 PM

Can someone explain to me what makes this keyboard worth that price? Lots of less expensive keyboards also sound great, especially when demo'd by a coorporate pro. Raising the price now with the limited market it already has is hard to understand.
Posted by: 124

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 06:03 PM

Doesn't it come down to Yamaha's knowing very well that the average buyer of their product is in that older, more disposable income demographic? They've milked that for many years. I mean, how many times have they come out with a new model that's only been a fairly marginal upgrade of the previous one?

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By Steve A
I'm on the fence...Can anyone tell me how many MPG I can expect when I'm driving in the city?

laugh

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Can someone explain to me what makes this keyboard worth that price? Lots of less expensive keyboards also sound great, especially when demo'd by a coorporate pro. Raising the price now with the limited market it already has is hard to understand.

Comparing the sound of both keyboards, I'd say that the Genos does have an advantage. Is it worth more than double the price of the PSR-SX900? Maybe not, but for those who want the very best, and can afford it, it's the Genos (I'm comparing it to it's baby brother, the SX-900, not to other brands).

If you ask me, I think they won't sell as many units now that they've raised the price, but I'm no expert. smile

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/05/20 09:55 PM

A mediocre player will still be mediocre on a TOTL instrument, though.
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 06:26 AM

Genos=most overpriced arranger of all time.

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
Genos=most overpriced arranger of all time.

Well, Audya was not cheap, and if look to SD9 it's at same pricelevel as Genos here. Ketrons other units is not not lowprice items either.
But if look at Korg PA4X, it's aprox 10.000,- NOK below the other two brands, that's a lot of money!!
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 10:32 AM

Not only is the 4 year old Genos still priced ridiculously high, but what's with the seven year old used T-5's and what they are asking for them?

It's crazy!

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By lahawk
Not only is the 4 year old Genos still priced ridiculously high, but what's with the seven year old used T-5's and what they are asking for them?

It's crazy!

Yup, absolutely crazy. I think they would do well to lower the prices substantially. They'd make more money.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 04:01 PM

I was in music retail for over 30 years it is normal and customary to have price increases on products. Prices while maybe not sounding cheap to us, they actually are for what you are getting. Just compare what home organs sell for and then tell me these are overpriced. It's what the market will bare and lowering the price will not bring them more money but less. The only time these may go down in price may be right as a new model comes out. Remember, these TOTL keyboards like expensive home organs are designed for older adults who have the money to spare.
Posted by: 124

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 06:44 PM

As I alluded to upthread, Yamaha have been following that business model for many years. I don't know the ins and outs of retailing, but I do know I wouldn't pay those kinds of prices. I can live with my present keyboard for the rest of the way. Heck, I might even eventually get to know a bit more of its inner workings.:)

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By Scott Langholff
I was in music retail for over 30 years it is normal and customary to have price increases on products. Prices while maybe not sounding cheap to us, they actually are for what you are getting. Just compare what home organs sell for and then tell me these are overpriced. It's what the market will bare and lowering the price will not bring them more money but less. The only time these may go down in price may be right as a new model comes out. Remember, these TOTL keyboards like expensive home organs are designed for older adults who have the money to spare.

Thanks for your input based on experience. I guess I'll either have to pay more, or wait a while till the price comes down or choose something else that's cheaper. smile
Posted by: groovyband.live

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/06/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By Scott Langholff
Remember, these TOTL keyboards like expensive home organs are designed for older adults who have the money to spare.

They are not designed for wealthy adults with money to spare, they are priced for them. Which is a different thing.

And yes, lowering prices always increases the units sold, but could actually reduce the profit. And selling, let us say, 20% less at doubled price can likely increase profits.

This happens when the market is NOT much sensitive to price, which is the case for the potential Genos buyer (every one considering buying a 4k€ arranger is NOT money constrained).

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/07/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By groovyband.live
(every one considering buying a 4k€ arranger is NOT money constrained).

Not EVERYONE...I just spent all mt $$$ on my KORG PA 4X...
Posted by: groovyband.live

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/07/20 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By Steve A
Originally Posted By groovyband.live
(every one considering buying a 4k€ arranger is NOT money constrained).

Not EVERYONE...I just spent all mt $$$ on my KORG PA 4X...

Yes, you are money constrained, but if you spent your last money on an arranger keyboard, you are NOT sensitive to price.

But what happens if tomorrow you lose your job, you have to repair (or change) your car, you have some health care expenses, .......?

Unforeseen events are always behind the corner (willing or not), and it is wise to have some plan B (and savings) to cope with them.
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/09/20 07:39 AM

For at least half the price of the Genos, the SX-900 may be the way to go for Yamaha's newest arranger keyboard.

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/09/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By lahawk
For at least half the price of the Genos, the SX-900 may be the way to go for Yamaha's newest arranger keyboard.

When the Genos came out, I was interested in it immediately, and saw as many videos I could. After a while, I realized that realistically, it was just too expensive for me, so I stopped looking at videos. When the SX900 came out, I thought it might be a pretty good choice. Lately, I started looking at Genos videos again. I like the fact that it's a TOTL keyboard, hence, it has the better keys, and other things the SX900 doesn't. Now that the Genos went up by $500.00, I'm looking at the SX900 again. However, it, too, went up in price. I know that getting the SX900 is going to be a bit of a compromise, though. I'll think about it some more.

Thanks for your suggestion. smile
Posted by: beachbum

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/12/20 01:21 AM

Don't bother - I have a SX900 - buy a tyros 5 used if you can much better keyboard. I know you watch the demos of the Genos and is a must have , but it's amazing what you can get out of the older keyboard with a little more work. heck I did this on a prs s900 and still have a problem getting the right sound..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhGY-cWtoTA
And would the genos really make this song that much better? There is only so many keys and so many sounds....
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Genos Price Raised by $500.00! - 07/12/20 03:39 AM

Beackbum, I am open to what you said, “I have a Sx900, don’t bother buy a Tyros 5, it is a much better keyboard.” Tell about the differences, and why the Tyros 5 is much better.
I like my Sx900, and if there are enough good reasons, I might make the change.

John C.
PS, please keep in mind that you and I play music from a different time.