Facebook

Posted by: Torch

Facebook - 06/27/20 04:11 AM

I am joining Don Mason’s Arranger Keyboard Players on Facebook. So probably this will be my last post here. I know many do not use Facebook probably because it can be very intrusive. Using a fictitious name will solve the problem. John Smith instead of John Brown for instance. I joined this forum mainly because of the fierce but funny sparring between Gary and Fran on Roland, Bose, and etc. Anyway, I left another post in the bar if anybody cares to read it.
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/499490#Post499490
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Facebook - 06/27/20 09:29 AM

Isn't it amazing how one man can cause so much division and animosity ?
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Facebook - 06/27/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By Torch
I am joining Don Mason’s Arranger Keyboard Players on Facebook. So probably this will be my last post here. I know many do not use Facebook probably because it can be very intrusive. Using a fictitious name will solve the problem. John Smith instead of John Brown for instance. I joined this forum mainly because of the fierce but funny sparring between Gary and Fran on Roland, Bose, and etc. Anyway, I left another post in the bar if anybody cares to read it.

Hi ,
must admit, not a fan of Facebook. Too intrusive. Joined years ago for my teddy bear hobby, didn’t even have to submit my real name, joined up as rikki's bears, basically same name as I use on the forums. Gave as little information about myself as possible, and left it at that. Only thing I ever used it for was for one of my iPad games So if something happened, I could load back in via Facebook.

At least now I’ll get some use out of the account.

If I did have a legitimate use for Facebook ie keeping in touch with family and friends, I tend to think I’d start a seperate account for my games or forums, rather than have my personal stuff mixed in with my hobby stuff.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 08:27 AM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By Torch

Hi ,
must admit, not a fan of Facebook. Too intrusive. Joined years ago for my teddy bear hobby, didn’t even have to submit my real name, joined up as rikki's bears, basically same name as I use on the forums. Gave as little information about myself as possible, and left it at that. Only thing I ever used it for was for one of my iPad games So if something happened, I could load back in via Facebook.

At least now I’ll get some use out of the account.

If I did have a legitimate use for Facebook ie keeping in touch with family and friends, I tend to think I’d start a seperate account for my games or forums, rather than have my personal stuff mixed in with my hobby stuff.

Actually.. i am on facebook under my real name..
Used it mostly as a means to keep contact with friends..
And even to get backin contact with friends from my youth..

Only in the recent few years Facebook started more and more taking over from my presence in forums.. there is a lot of information to be found these days..

Altough, i still prefer a good forum over a facebook group..
It leans itselves much better for discussions.. with its easy way to quote and link
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 08:45 AM

I've been here since 2001 and I'm staying. I refuse to let politics sway me from leaving a site that is perhaps the best forum on the Net. I actually joined the new Facebook Arranger page, but I soon left. Not because they have a different Political opinion than me, but I already belong to a great Group here at the SZ, PSR Tutorial, Yamaha Keyboard Players Club, Yamaha Keyboard Forum, as well as a couple of Facebook Arranger groups already established years ago.

For what it's worth, I'm an Obama fan, and there were times haters bashed him beyond what is even happening today to Trump. That's just the way it is, and has been forever! Politicians are open to criticism, and at times it can get nasty. While it may seem "your guy" is being picked on more, just do some homework, and check out past Presidents and the crap they put up with. The very first President of the US all the way to Lincoln, and now Trump have had to put up with abuse from the public and media. And please, saying the facts don't support criticizing "your guy", just do some research to find out that perhaps there is some truth in what is being said. Problem is, it can be hard to hear the truth, and it's hard to admit that the guy you voted for, is not really the leader you expected him to be. It's just hard to admit that mistake, although to the credit of some, they can.

Finally, It's a real shame that some have decided to leave because of Politics and or Religion. The Bar has been set up for that purpose, so why even go to the Bar if you know it could be trouble. And speaking of trouble with lots of nasty stuff being spewed, Facebook may be the worse. For me, when visiting Facebook, I just scroll down away from the nonsense. I learned to ignore, too bad those that have left the SZ couldn't have done the same.

So I'm done with reading these topics on "Leaving SZ" and the their departing shots comments. I can only hope those guys will someday soon return. I really like those guys that have left, and politics and religion never entered into our friendship. So we will be here, waiting for your return. I sure hope you all reconsider, "can't we all just get along?"

Life is too short...love ya all smile
Posted by: cassp

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 09:54 AM

I’m joining the FB group and staying here. The SZ has been a good and valuable resource for me countless times. That said, I like the group format on FB. I’m sure a lot of people will be doing the same as I.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 11:14 AM

In a relationship, when one party tells the other, in effect, 'because of your beliefs, you're no longer the person I thought you were', separation is bound to follow ... unfortunately, feelings were not left in the bar and spilled over ...

I don't know that the two groups (SZ and FB) need be mutually exclusive of the other, and as has been said, SZ has been a valuable source of information, and for that reason I will most likely continue to read what is being posted ... If I feel I have something of value to add, I probably will ...

I wish EVERYONE nothing but the best ...
Posted by: Terrysutt

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 11:37 AM

I stopped posting here in February after receiving an insulting
private message from a member.For curiosity I had a look at the Facebook forum only to find he`s been accepted as a member,so it`s a no go for me.I`ve just looked up that February post(it is now on page 40)and guess what,he`s removed himself from this topic.
Stay safe.

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By Terrysutt
I stopped posting here in February after receiving an insulting
private message from a member.For curiosity I had a look at the Facebook forum only to find he`s been accepted as a member,so it`s a no go for me.I`ve just looked up that February post(it is now on page 40)and guess what,he`s removed himself from this topic.
Stay safe.

Insulting PM’s ?

Never tought such would happen here?
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 12:42 PM

Have to admit...there have been some SZ members, groups of members and posts that made me uncomfortable on the Zone. Some of those same members are joining the FB page under other names...But if the posts are not inflammatory, mean or demeaning, I will continue to monitor and participate. Its the commonality of arrangers that should hold all together.
Posted by: organgrinder

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 01:22 PM

I'm staying on both because I HAVE FRIENDS ON BOTH. I don't go to the bar, not even to peak. I'm just here to enjoy my friend's company. I enjoy both websites and I see no reason to change.

MEL
Posted by: zuki

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 02:06 PM

I've received just one terse pm during my 20 years here. I considered the source and moved on. Also been hot under the collar a couple times, but it takes two to tango, so not always one sided. I really enjoy this forum still, but pretty much a boring existence for arranger players these days. Hopefully I'll get out of this non gig funk and do some songs on YouTube. I've never liked FB, although I might check out DMs new page.

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 03:40 PM

zuki ... check out Don's FB site... as I said, the two sites do not have to bemutually exclusive ...

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 04:29 PM

Hi,
since there’s still friends on both sites, I’ll check both.

It’s the subject matter that determines whether I get involved in a particular topic or not.

Don’s certainly not advocating people leave SZ to join his site.

I belong to the psr forum, and the Korg forums ( though currently not of much interest, since I don’t have a Korg) .

Kind of sad that some members were made to feel they were no longer welcome.

Re: Facebook - 06/28/20 05:08 PM

Good thoughts from many members. As Rambo said "Let it go " We need to face the truth, your not going to change anyones opinions by posting here. I'm staying here and will visit the other site. Arranger Players are few enough as it is so we don't need to be divided further. Everyone be well.
Posted by: Steve A

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 12:02 AM

I shop at WALMART & TARGET....

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Good thoughts from many members. As Rambo said "Let it go " We need to face the truth, your not going to change anyones opinions by posting here. I'm staying here and will visit the other site. Arranger Players are few enough as it is so we don't need to be divided further. Everyone be well.

Worldwide there are hundred thousands of arranger players..
Mostly in south east Asia... but also in many parts of Europe

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Worldwide there are hundred thousands of arranger players..
Mostly in south east Asia... but also in many parts of Europe

Don't doubt it, never been to those places but would love to visit sometime and hear some. But here they're like Unicorns.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 11:01 AM

Synthzone is the ONLY site I visit. I only use arrangers for film score roughs, so going to another site would be counter productive, from that standpoint.

The other reason is interest, from an academic standpoint, in the differences between on-line intercepts and face-to-face or real-time voice interactions.

I will miss the interaction between myself and some of the members who say they are leaving.

Hopefully, we can maintain contact via email, texts and an occasional phone call or visit.

However, I truely believe that putting your head in the sand and simply ignoring matters like race relations and the disgusting activities of the current administration is a major cop-out.

Be well, all.

Russ

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 11:17 AM

Hey Russ....how's your son doing?

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 01:04 PM

Hey, Jim. Afraid to get out. Haven't seen him for about 8 weeks. Talk to him every day and drop off food and other purchases almost daily. He is doing some work from home. He says he is about 80%. Most of the work he is needed on is in Atlanta, not a good place to be right now.

He had some pretty major lung damage. Not the virus, but major shutdown, which put him on a lung transplant list.

We're on hold as far as continuing work for our main client. That's where Logan makes his living.

We'll have to see.

Just so glad I still have him.

Russ
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 01:14 PM

Help please. I'm not leavinng but I would like to join DonM's facebook group. how do I do it?

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 01:39 PM

Thx for the update Russ. Hope he can get that transplant soon. Take care and be safe and don't work too hard smile

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By ekurburski
Help please. I'm not leavinng but I would like to join DonM's facebook group. how do I do it?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819613151594818/?fref=nf&__tn__=C-RH-R

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By ekurburski

Basically you just need a Facebook account and follow zuki’s link.

I opened mine up years ago and never really used it. I opened it up under rikkis bears didn’t even have to use my actual name.
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: Facebook - 06/29/20 04:54 PM

Thanks. I have applied for membership.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Facebook - 06/30/20 05:19 PM

I sure miss everybody that has left, and it's just a shame, that this political stuff has become such a issue on a KEYBOARD site. Anyways I wish those that have left the Zone, well. I don't think I'll join the Facebook group as I don't like Facebook at all. It too full of political zealots. I guess we can't escape that these days!

Re: Facebook - 06/30/20 05:38 PM

Paul ... Don's FaceBook site is a private site for members only ... I think you will enjoy it ... please come over ...
PS ... I doubt you will see ANY political talk there ...

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 10:43 AM

Jim, I sent you a private PM. Sorry to confuse the issue, but while Logan was on the transplant list when in the hospital (on a ventilator for 11 days), a lung transplant is no longer scheduled.

He is feeling better; just very cautious.

Thanks so much for the concern.

R.

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 10:45 AM

It's probably a "no brainer" to figure out, but I will not be joining the Facebook group.

Be well, all.

Russ
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
It's probably a "no brainer" to figure out, but I will not be joining the Facebook group.

Be well, all.

Russ

Russ,

No reason not to join, there are no political discussions to worry about.
Posted by: Steve A

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 05:12 PM

It's a totally different format...

A FORUM is always better, as I can pick & choose what topics I want to look at. The FB page can get irritating with all the notifications...That said, why anyone would come to a FORUM about Arrangers & talk politics is beyond me...

ALL who were involved really screwed up a great FORUM...This place is not the same. I don't care who you are, you screwed up a great place by typing on a keyboard...

Just a damn shame
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 06:09 PM

No shame here, just part of life. SZ is going nowhere – and it WILL rebuild. We have learned some very important lessons. I believe that the conditions we are living in did not help.

The good part is, now I have two places to visit, John C.
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By bruno123
SZ is going nowhere – and it WILL rebuild.

Agreed. I have been coming here for a very long time and Synthzone had it ups and downs.
It seems it goes through phases of people attacking each other like in real life.
Remember when Scott Yee and Dikki were around. It got pretty intense at times.
Others will come along and take the lead. Nothing to worry about.
Synthzone has always been a one stop shop for all arranger issues and topics.
Give it a little time ...
Eric
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 08:54 PM

Thanks for the support Eric. And you can see I have not even removed this thread to Facebook. This all started after I banned a user who made an extremely offensive racist post in The Bar. I am not sorry for that and would do it again. It was not political unless someone considers having a view against racism thinks it is. If that same post was made in FB then FB would also censor it.

Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Facebook - 07/01/20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By Eric, B
Originally Posted By bruno123
SZ is going nowhere – and it WILL rebuild.

Agreed. I have been coming here for a very long time and Synthzone had it ups and downs....
Synthzone has always been a one stop shop for all arranger issues and topics.
Give it a little time ...

+1

Re: Facebook - 07/02/20 12:41 PM

+2

Re: Facebook - 07/02/20 01:09 PM

+3 There's no escaping smile
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Facebook - 07/02/20 01:30 PM

+4
Posted by: SANMAN

Re: Facebook - 07/02/20 08:14 PM

Well said Nigel.
And yes, this Forum will continue to evolve and progress, offering technical insight of all Arrangers from those that know them best.
Posted by: Anthony Johnson

Re: Facebook - 07/03/20 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By Steve A
It's a totally different format...

A FORUM is always better, as I can pick & choose what topics I want to look at. The FB page can get irritating with all the notifications...That said, why anyone would come to a FORUM about Arrangers & talk politics is beyond me...

ALL who were involved really screwed up a great FORUM...This place is not the same. I don't care who you are, you screwed up a great place by typing on a keyboard...

Just a damn shame

I agree fully with Steve.
We all have our political viewpoints but an arranger Forum is not the place to air them.
I'm amazed at how such a (apparently) friendly group of guys suddenly bare their teeth and turn aggressive.
I don't like facebook but in any case I don't hang out with the kinds of people who can't settle things in a friendly manner.
Long live Synthzone

Re: Facebook - 07/03/20 01:36 AM

Thanks so much Anthony.

Re: Facebook - 07/03/20 10:34 AM

Plus 5 from the "Zone's" premier non arranger user.

The Bar has been a good outlet to vent your opinions and convictions and, until now), still be friends and enjoy interaction with people of opposite beliefs.

Blindly avoiding discussion of conflicting ideas does not fix the problems involved.

I'm staying and I hope the bar does, too.

Big, "Hi" to my girlfriend, Nigel. OH, you, too!

Russ
Posted by: flingers

Re: Facebook - 07/03/20 11:02 AM

Count me in...I'm stayin' will probably check out face book as well..I do not go to the bar forum, not interested in gossip or opinions. Unfortunately face book is full of them, I do not agree with many, but figure if it makes you happier to express them go for it, I can be happy to ignore them. Hate to see face book used as a political forum tho'. I use this form for arranger discussions.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Facebook - 07/03/20 12:05 PM

After twenty years,SZ is firmly a habit I don't intend to change. I think one should look at the big picture. I have made many SZ friends,and received a good bit of help with various problems. I joined FB,which makes around five forums I now visit. My old AA adage: Take what you need and leave the rest.

Thank you Nigel for providing twenty great years.

Bernie

Re: Facebook - 07/04/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Thank you Nigel for providing twenty great years.

Bernie

Thanks so much Bernie. And many years to come I hope.

Re: Facebook - 07/04/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Big, "Hi" to my girlfriend, Nigel. OH, you, too!

Russ

rotfl
Posted by: wrinkles303

Re: Facebook - 07/04/20 10:43 AM

been here 18 years, there's so much information to be shared here. i'm not going anywhere, but i do enjoy facebook for what it is.it was facebook the allowed me to see my children i lost over 40 years ago(long story). as with anything on the internet i dont take it serious. as in real life , sometimes its best to stay out of bars. thanks for providing this resource for me and my arranger playing.
dave