Posted by: john smies

my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 05/31/20 09:34 AM

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/lqujGpI5jm4 [/video]

See info underneath this video.
regards,
John
Posted by: Dnj

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 05/31/20 09:37 AM

In 2019 Dutch singer-songwriter Danny Vera had a huge hit in Holland with his song "Roller Coaster". (see link below). Many felt called upon to cover this song and as such you will find many versions here on youtube. Most of them tried to stay close to the original arrangement. Personally I threw caution to the wind and opted for an entirely different arrangement. The mastering as well as the matching video were performed by my good friend Carlo for which I am greatly indebted to him. Looking forward to your comments.The original version by the maestro himself can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWe4e...

Good Job John...Ketron SD9 & your Vocal it outstanding!
btw didn't I give you a lesson on posting YT video on SZ? wink
Posted by: DonM

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 05/31/20 09:39 AM

Nice song, well done!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 05/31/20 11:27 AM

+1
Posted by: montunoman

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 05/31/20 12:05 PM

Well done!

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/01/20 01:38 PM

thanks for the thumbs up guys. Now that even Don has once again succumbed to the charms of the Ketron SD7 it is bound to make more headway in the U.S. of A. , me thinks.
With Dave shortly in possesion of the SD60, Deane a stauch believer and user of the Ketron SD40 and Donny once again on the fence it seems to me that the merits of the Ketron range are beginning to throw their wait about , in spite of the poor support of Ketron Italy.But then you guys can lean on AJ and Kurt !!!

Incidentally I had been hoping to hear from you guys how you looked upon the difference in my arrangement of this Roller Coaster song in comparison to the original, any takers there?

regards
John
Posted by: saxxman

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/01/20 02:47 PM

Great job John! Very nice work! Here is one version of Danny Vera performing the song (link above didn't appear to work):

My verdict - Danny V did good but I like the John Smies version better!! You did a great job on the audio, singing and playing, and your version has a more lively feel to it - more like a "Roller Coaster" to me.

Thanks for posting and super job John!
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/01/20 03:21 PM

Nice tune, never heard it and your vocals are very good. Funny but when I saw the post I thought of this and was really interested to hear it on an Arranger dance2

Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/01/20 04:09 PM

Nice job, John ...

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/01/20 11:54 PM

Randy, thanks for pointing out that the link (on youtube) to the song by the orginal artist was faulty, I have remedied that .
Thanks for the comparison, you are giving me too much credit really but thanks all the same !!!!

regards
John

original version by Danny Vera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWe4e0_UmIc
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/02/20 04:06 AM

Great rhythm to the tune, I like it!
Posted by: Impuls

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 04:08 AM

Matter of taste , this number is great as it is , changing style and try to sing with it isnt my peace of cake .

I crazy

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By Impuls
Matter of taste , this number is great as it is , changing style and try to sing with it isnt my peace of cake .

I crazy

No problem, but at least I have used my creative juices smile

The way you play it, or rather reproduce it on your Genos using a Midifile of the original song and adding one finger of your right hand to play the melody isn't exactly my piece of cake, but like I said, no problem, no accouting for tastes.....

For those of you who are wondering what I am on about, here is the rendition of Impuls ( or Soneg, or Sonyt, all aliases used on the Dutch keyboard forum):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MozBOZwzI

regards
John
Posted by: Dnj

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 07:40 AM

John so what are we looking at here confused1

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 09:29 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

John so what are we looking at here confused1

....You tell me !!!!!

regards
John
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By john smies
Originally Posted By Impuls

I crazy

No problem, but at least I have used my creative juices smile

The way you play it, or rather reproduce it on your Genos using a Midifile of the original song and adding one finger of your right hand to play the melody isn't exactly my piece of cake, but like I said, no problem, no accouting for tastes.....

For those of you who are wondering what I am on about, here is the rendition of Impuls ( or Soneg, or Sonyt, all aliases used on the Dutch keyboard forum):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MozBOZwzI

regards
John

No No No!!! The saying is " not my cup of tea" grin

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 09:41 AM

[/quote]
No No No!!! The saying is " not my cup of tea" grin [/quote]

....seems to me that is the least of his problems Fran,

regards
John
Posted by: Steve A

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 10:19 AM

The original Artist took a chance with the soft beginning. Personally, I thought he waited too long to get the tune going. Interesting because I am working on a tune with a soft beginning...

This song may have been HUGE in HOLLAND....But I almost shut it off because it took TOO LONG to get going...I personally was not going to wait for the song to grab me...It didn't. If this was on my YOUTUBE I would have shut it off in about 30 seconds because it was all the same. Also, one observation, he is a good guitar player, not great. Based ONLY on what I saw & heard on this song, he is above me as a guitar player slightly, & on this tune IN A STUDIO SETTING, I personally would have fired myself on acoustic guitar and brought in a better guitar player. I get why he put himself on the guitar, but a stud session acoustic player would have served better here...As JOHN SMILES would say, "Me thinks"...

If John didn't say listen to it, I would never have stuck with the mans tune...

Now he gets it going & I like it, but for me personally the original version took too long to build.

But, what do I know? He has a HIT....And Uhmmmmmmmmm....I don't
Posted by: Impuls

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 02:17 PM

I don't understand the spiteful comments on a plain honest comment about someone's movie.
I'm not saying anything about the vocal quality (which is very mediocre), but just that changing the rhythm totally ruined the song in my view.
Here are regular videos and recordings of people who only play with Midi files and then the reactions are full of praise and that it is all great.
This is the first video in which I used a Midi, with the reason not to do short the original song.
At that time, John S also thought it necessary to react very unkindly
It's all a matter of taste, and it's all about the fun of making music whether you're an amateur or a pro.
We will not see top artists here, because they think the use of Arranger keyboards is "inferior".
I hope you are all doing well in the future, I will not respond for the time being.
It is a pity that a country member spoil the atmosphere for me

I frown
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/03/20 03:57 PM

Well, I liked the original song and I think John's version was good too. A different take and nothing wrong with that. I think there has been more than one remake of a hit that changed things up successfully. Good vocal too John, very talented singer.

Re: my arrangement of "Roller Coaster " on Ketron SD7 - 06/05/20 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
Well, I liked the original song and I think John's version was good too. A different take and nothing wrong with that. I think there has been more than one remake of a hit that changed things up successfully. Good vocal too John, very talented singer.

Thanks W.T.

As regards Impuls I consider it case closed. I should not have started it to begin with, my mistake.

Steve,

I beg to differ here as to the original version of Roller Coaster but as you will no doubt agree with me it is all a matter of taste. Incidentally the link to the original by Danny Vera was a studio live session.There is also the official recording :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rlz2iW0Kzs
As regards the artist himself he has done some great stuff overhere in Holland over the last 10 years. He has his own band and a very good one imho and is extremely versatile in his repertoire ranging from a wide gamut of covers to many of his own.
here are a few links which might be interesting to some of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQwTGrSP0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up4ky1uIlM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7T49frxjOM

Bear in mind all the time that you are not watching an Okie from Muskogee but a Dutchman borne and bred !!!!

regards
John

P.S. apologies for diverting from my own subject but then I guess he deserves it......