O. T. but maybe not.

Posted by: DonM

O. T. but maybe not. - 03/26/20 12:59 PM

As some may recall, I took the month of March off from playing at Ernest's, and of course have not returned and won't for some time.
Today this devastating news came. One of Ernest's good friends, and mine, Reverend Ronnie Hampton, died from the coronavirus. We called him the Rev. He conducted the service when Ernest's mother died a couple of years ago.
Even though I wasn't there, I am certain that Ernest and a number of staff and customers were with him within the past few weeks.
The last time I saw him was in late February and of course we shook hands, but that should have been well before he contracted the virus.
If I had contracted it from him, it would have shown up by now.
My fear is for the staff and customers who were in contact with him.
His ministry was with the poor, homeless, needy, down-trodden of the community.
I'm sharing this to show how it can affect any of us and to say we can't be too careful. I feel blessed that I was removed from this particular environment.
As a favor to me, and to honor the Rev., I'm hoping you will read this short story about him that appeared today.
Reverend Ronnie Hampton
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/26/20 01:33 PM

His thoughts are beautiful ...

Yes, this points out that we must be diligent, but we also cannot allow this thing to consume us, and make us fret with every thought and movement ...

I am sorry for the loss you, his family, congregation, and friends are feeling ...
Posted by: bruno123

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/26/20 01:52 PM

Don, one of the reasons for people believing in a higher power, which I call Jesus, is that we believe that we have a place to go after we leave here. No one can physically prove the existence of a God; we just made a decision to believe.

I’m sure that your dear friend, Reverend Ronnie Hampton has gone to a better place. That is what he believed. I myself at 88 years of age believe as he did. Because of my belief the number 88 does not trouble me.

Don, Reverend Ronnie was a good man, just as you are. I pray for you and your family; may you have peace during this difficult time.

Caring, John C.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/26/20 02:43 PM

Don my deepest sympathy for your reverend how sad...
May he rest in peace..

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/26/20 02:50 PM

Thanks guys. I'm really worried about Ernest. I know he hasn't been feeling well and he's not answering his phone.
Edit: I just talked to him. He is still having a little fever, but no chest problems or cough. He is staying away from everyone until he feels better. I'm trying to convince him to go get tested. He is really upset about the Rev of course.
Thanks for letting me share this personal stuff. It helps to write it down.
Posted by: TedS

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/26/20 02:52 PM

So sorry for your loss Don, and be careful out there! I heard that Louisiana, and especially New Orleans is a real hot spot right now. Like medical care workers, clergy take a huge risk when they console people afflicted with this terrible disease. His reward is in Heaven!
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/26/20 06:08 PM

Don,

My condolences on the loss of Reverend Ronnie Hampton. May he rest in peace. At least where I am in Florida people are taking precautions, but others don't seem to be taking it seriously thinking they are immune.
Posted by: saxxman

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 06:48 AM

Sorry to hear that news Don. These times are scary times. Hopefully "This too shall pass" and that, soon, life will return to normal without devastating our ranks.
Posted by: jingleman

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 08:49 AM

Don, Sorry to hear about “The Rev”. He sounded like a wonderful human being. It just shows no one is immune from this terrible virus. A 39 year old well known DJ in the Fort Myers area past away last evening surrounded by his wife and children. God bless us all
Posted by: leeboy

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 09:12 AM

Don, sorry for your loss.....it's pretty scary right now...
Lee

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone. I won't be going to the funeral, if there even is one.
Louisiana is finally number one at something besides football--the highest per capita rate in the nation for the virus. People just won't stay home.
Trying to stay positive here--or should I say trying to stay negative from the virus.
I'm going to play my arranger for a while, even though no one is listening.
Let's be kind to one another, o.k.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 12:06 PM

Don, I am happy you could share about this good man that carried his faith to the end(on Earth). His good works and attitude are inspiring.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 12:14 PM

Looks like he is getting the recognition and appreciation he deserves.

R.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By captain Russ

R.

+1 for me, and for this reason: "His ministry was with the poor, homeless, needy, down-trodden of the community."

chas

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 12:37 PM

I wish you could have met him. Besides being a minister, he was a promoter. He knew how to work the businesses, yes even Ernest, to help provide food, clothes, toiletries...whatever was needed, for distribution to the people in his ministries.
He sang extremely well, and would occasionally come up and say "Don Mason, I feel like a song tonight". Rainy Night in Georgia was his favorite to sing with me.
He sang "It Is Well" acapella at Ernest's mom's funeral and it was very moving. He had a really strong, loud voice, but it fit his large stature and demeanor.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 04:21 PM

When Fred, bass player and main vocalist in our band, passed away, I was speaking to his son at the funeral, commenting on how Fred's wife was going to miss him ... the son said "That's the price you pay for having a great marriage" ...
This is also true with friends that pass ... I know you will miss him Don, but reflect on all the great times of "Don Mason, I feel like a song tonight" ...
God Bless
Posted by: zuki

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By captain Russ

R.

+1 for me, and for this reason: "His ministry was with the poor, homeless, needy, down-trodden of the community."

chas

Amen to that. When I look at people like the Rev, I start to really feel shameful of the things I don't do.

Re: O. T. but maybe not. - 03/27/20 04:29 PM

Exactly Jim. I don't do everything I could or should. My wife does though. Since I encourage her does that count? smile