Valentine's Day

Posted by: DonM

Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 12:24 PM

I'm working every night this week. Valentine's Day has been fully booked for nearly a month, with three seatings, 5:00, 7:00 and 9:00, and now people are making reservations for tonight, Thursday and Saturday.
There are four rooms, with seating varying from 50 to 150, so total capacity is around 350 to 400. Since most guests will be in sets of two to four people, there is a little less room as opposed to long tables or larger round tops.
That means about a thousand people will be dining with us Friday! Average ticket is $100. There will be a certain number of no-shows, and walk-ins will only be allowed if space opens up after the last seating, but still looks like a "pretty good" night. The menu is limited to choice between three entrees, in order to expedite things in the kitchen. Appetizers, salads, sides and desserts are included. Drinks extra.
We will have another entertainer in the main dining room, either guitar/vocalist or piano/vocalist. My usual hours are 6:30 to 10:30. Friday and Saturday will be more like 5:00 to midnight!
There is a large group coming at 5:30 tonight, but I'll most likely be able to knock off early once it slows down.
Economy must be good! smile
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 12:27 PM

Sounds like fun ... I'll see if I can switch the dog-lady's reservation from our place to YOURS!
cry

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 12:32 PM

Only if she is pretty. We don't allow ugly women in there. We make them wait in their trucks in case we need them really late in the night.
I have an iron rail around my bandstand, just in case.
Sometimes when they are too aggressive I will wipe my forehead with a handkerchief and toss it into the crowd, to help defer the advances.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 12:43 PM

Don take pics and videos and good luck.

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Don take pics amd videos

... juggle Like he'll have extra time on his hands with that crowd

W*A*I*T !!!!! Donny - here's the perfect way for you to fill up some of those lonely hours - become the ZONE photographer! Travel, sample the wares and listen to tunes from each of the performers you visit, then post here!

That'll keep you off the Sweetwater site for a bit!
dance2
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 12:46 PM

Don, good for you....I think you will sleep well that night!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
I'm working every night this week. Valentine's Day has been fully booked for nearly a month, with three seatings, 5:00, 7:00 and 9:00, and now people are making reservations for tonight, Thursday and Saturday.
There are four rooms, with seating varying from 50 to 150, so total capacity is around 350 to 400. Since most guests will be in sets of two to four people, there is a little less room as opposed to long tables or larger round tops.
That means about a thousand people will be dining with us Friday! Average ticket is $100. There will be a certain number of no-shows, and walk-ins will only be allowed if space opens up after the last seating, but still looks like a "pretty good" night. The menu is limited to choice between three entrees, in order to expedite things in the kitchen. Appetizers, salads, sides and desserts are included. Drinks extra.
We will have another entertainer in the main dining room, either guitar/vocalist or piano/vocalist. My usual hours are 6:30 to 10:30. Friday and Saturday will be more like 5:00 to midnight!
There is a large group coming at 5:30 tonight, but I'll most likely be able to knock off early once it slows down.
Economy must be good! smile

Makes my week of gigs look like a booger!!!
Way to go, Big D ...
Hope you've got a big bucket for those tips ...

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 02:33 PM

rotf2
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/12/20 02:42 PM

Break a leg, Don:

There has to be a reason folks are paying those kind of bucks to hear you perform. Slow and easy, Pal... we ain't "Spring Chickens" anymore... long hours are tough but you've done this before and know how to pace yourself.

All the best, ----Dave

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 05:04 AM

What does your playlist look like for Valentines day?
Posted by: zuki

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
rotf2

Someone's going to get in trouble with that one. Poor taste, IMO

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

"Love Stinks"
"Another oNe Bites The Dust"
"You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly"
"Go Away Little Girl"

so many ......

coffee

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 10:23 AM

Gettin' tired already and the BIG night is tonight. 350 reservations! I will start at 5 at hope to be home by midnight. Fingers and wrists are hurting, but nothing serious.
I don't have a playlist; just what pops into my head, and requests.
Only special song I do is "My Valentine".
Wonderful Tonight, I Will Always Love You, Can't Help Falling in Love...all normal stuff.

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj

"Love Stinks"
"Another oNe Bites The Dust"
"You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly"
"Go Away Little Girl"

so many ......

coffee

LOVE that playlist ...

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 02:30 PM

Played a facility for the first time today ... a staff member heard me at a Christmas gig and actually set something up for them to hire me for today ...
A guy asked if I could play HIS song - "Just a Gigolo" ...

Looks like this could turn into another monthly gig ...

I should have taken a pic with some of the staff, but I wouldn't want to make Gary jealous ! ... wink wink wink
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 02:46 PM

You would be hard put to make me jealous, Tony. How I miss those lovely ladies in that Diamond Center. smile

Gary cool

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 05:27 PM

grin

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/14/20 11:08 PM

WHEEW. Started at 5:30, finished at 11:30. One more night then some rest.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/15/20 02:06 AM

Man,that's a long one. You old pros can handle it,once in a while anyway.

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/15/20 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By DonM
WHEEW. Started at 5:30, finished at 11:30. One more night then some rest.

Posted by: zuki

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/15/20 06:56 AM

Don, whew....you are like the song "It's the Guitar Man" by Bread

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/15/20 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By zuki
Don, whew....you are like the song "It's the Guitar Man" by Bread

Posted by: bruno123

Re: Valentine's Day - 02/15/20 07:52 AM

Wow, no wonder your hands hurt. If I played that long there would be a heck-of-a-lot more that would hurt. But – not bad for a man approaching his 80”s.

John C.