Two more songs on PSR-3000...

Posted by: Kabinopus

Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 01:09 PM

Hello guys,

I'm keeping composing music on PSR-3000. Have a thought that I used to compose the most when I got this keyboard for the first time, and when I upgraded to S950 I started to take care more about arrangements, modern sound, etc., and less about composing.

As gigging musicians you know that preparing a lot of joyful songs can sometimes be sort of depressing, especially when you are working on Christmas stuff, after a while it's hard to stand this extremely positive attitude.

Although I rarely comment news where you share events in your lives, I never really ignore it and I'm affected by it in my own way.

This type of music I share here is some sort of movie music, which means that it can be about all sorts of emotions, because movies are usually dealing with all sides of life, pleasant or not.

When I'm tired of playing "happy" stuff, it's a relief to play what's really on my mind; it doesn't mean that there's any negativity, it's just, I think, less simplified.

Well, hope you will find it interesting.

Posted by: cgiles

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 01:31 PM

Flawless....and very touching. Strong "Dr Zhivago" feel. I could get very emotional listening to it/them.

chas
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 01:57 PM

Yup - love it. Stay with what works for you!
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 03:26 PM

Very emotional music! You do a great job with the 3000!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 04:02 PM

I agree with what has been posted above - +1

Gary cool
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 04:23 PM

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind,
flight to the imagination and life to everything.”

What else can I say, simply mesmerizing Bravo!!

Posted by: bruno123

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 05:17 PM

I like Chas’s view – emotional, feeling, control. NICE!
Your music says much about you are.

Well done, John C.
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/28/20 05:39 PM

Once again...its not necessary to have the latest, greatest, TOTL model to make great music. The PSR 3000 is a great keyboard. You and the 3000 are a great combination. Nice work!
Ed

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/29/20 09:18 AM

Thank you, Chas, Dave, Stephen, Gary, Donny, John and Ed for listening and writing your comments!
Posted by: zuki

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/29/20 02:43 PM

Yes. You make the 3000 sound so good. I liked your choice of timpani drums in #19 - keep enjoying smile
Posted by: john smies

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 01/31/20 11:32 PM

Once more an impressive contribution here Sergey,I could well imagine you writing scores for movies , imagine having professional tools in your hands like top of the line arrangers and workstations.....Perhaps you should start looking for a job elsewhere smile
As you have pointed out to me there is a clear predilection for minor chords in Russian music, much more so anyway than in Western popmusic, perhaps one of the reasons it more resembles a filmscore ?
Also worth noticing how once again you have favoured the 15 year old Yamaha over the 950 which in itself is already dated these days. Remarkably how some of us are reaching out to older boards again. Donny of course with the Tyros 2 and myself with adding the old Korg PA50 to my ketron sd7....
Nonetheless I stay with my mantra that if possible it is better to have two keyboards ( either arranger or workstation) of different brands as they complement one another. Another advice I continue to give to folks wanting to buy an arranger or workstation is that if you are an instrumentalist and do not sing your first choice should be imho a Yamaha. People like you as a matter of fact deserve to have a GEnos !!!
If however you are a singer and want to have a band accompanying you the choices become wider and more complex.But then again all the top arrangers from Yamaha,Korg and Ketron will foot the bill, and even the Roland E-A7 or so I am given to understand....
Thank you for sharing and it is good to have you here on the forum with all these "bloody yanks " rotfl

kind regards,
John
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/01/20 01:05 AM

Thanks so much for sharing that.

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/01/20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By john smies

Once more an impressive contribution here Sergey,I could well imagine you writing scores for movies , imagine having professional tools in your hands like top of the line arrangers and workstations.....Perhaps you should start looking for a job elsewhere smile
As you have pointed out to me there is a clear predilection for minor chords in Russian music, much more so anyway than in Western popmusic, perhaps one of the reasons it more resembles a filmscore ?
Also worth noticing how once again you have favoured the 15 year old Yamaha over the 950 which in itself is already dated these days. Remarkably how some of us are reaching out to older boards again. Donny of course with the Tyros 2 and myself with adding the old Korg PA50 to my ketron sd7....
Nonetheless I stay with my mantra that if possible it is better to have two keyboards ( either arranger or workstation) of different brands as they complement one another. Another advice I continue to give to folks wanting to buy an arranger or workstation is that if you are an instrumentalist and do not sing your first choice should be imho a Yamaha. People like you as a matter of fact deserve to have a GEnos !!!
If however you are a singer and want to have a band accompanying you the choices become wider and more complex.But then again all the top arrangers from Yamaha,Korg and Ketron will foot the bill, and even the Roland E-A7 or so I am given to understand....
Thank you for sharing and it is good to have you here on the forum with all these "bloody yanks " rotfl

kind regards,
John

John you can see the trend toward older arrangers
sounding just as good or better then new models all the time...
we get all tied up in "NEW" and forget that
the older is still very comparable and not that much
different for our needs. A lesson to be learned.

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/02/20 12:13 AM

Thank you for your attention, Zuki, Nigel and John.

imagine having professional tools in your hands like top of the line arrangers and workstations.....

I used to think about that. But if we dare to imagine writing scores for real movies, it comes to mind that most soundtracks are still performed with real orchestras. Ideally, a composer just does his part, then it's arranged and orchestrated by other people.

I figure that if we talk about composing, it's about making a decent demo with whatever instrument is comfortable to use. Somehow PSR-3000 inspires me more than S950, so I'm not thinking about upgrading it.

Yet, it's fair to mention that when I just want to play piano, I play my Juno DS. It can be that adding Juno DS to my collection forced me to switch from S950 to 3000, some soft of a balance thing. Can't say that Juno DS's piano is perfect, but so far I find it much more playable than pianos on my PSR's.

By the way, it's new to me to play that many songs on PSR not using piano sound at all.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/02/20 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By Kabinopus

imagine having professional tools in your hands like top of the line arrangers and workstations.....

I figure that if we talk about composing, it's about making a decent demo with whatever instrument is comfortable to use. Somehow PSR-3000 inspires me more than S950, so I'm not thinking about upgrading it.

People SAY "It's not the keyboard, it's the keyboardist" but I wonder how many actually MEAN it. Seems to me that people of high accomplishment play "what inspires them" and are the ones that are LEAST concerned about whether or not it's the "latest and greatest". Personally, I think the voices that you chose from the 3000 are absolutely PERFECT for those compositions. JMO.

chas

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/02/20 07:20 AM

Chas sometimes I wonder with all the voice choices to choose from on a kb most are NEVER used ever....for example a Piano or Organ player pretty much uses ONE sound in many ways to express his music....
you dig?
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 04:50 AM

Very enjoyable performances. Thank you for sharing your work!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 07:17 AM

Kabinopus ... Just getting caught up on my listening ... Beautiful work as always ... I agree with chas about the "Dr. Zhivago" feel, and in fact I believe I mentioned that in one of your earlier postings ...
I do hope you find and outlet for your work - it is deserving to be heard by many ...
BRAVO !!!

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 01:36 PM

Thank you, Montunoman and Tony for your kind words,

Dr. Zhivago is now on my list, although I'm into "The Simpsons" right now :-) (only now I started to get them)

Incidentally I have two more videos to share :-)

I composed these two tunes about 15 years ago. Now I call everything which is not suitable for singing a "movie theme" :-)

I had thought that some miracle would happen and some Santa Clause would bring me Genos and I'd be all into playing new tunes, but in some way I had another sort of miracle when I just downloaded some styles from psrtutorial for my PSR-3000 and it's like I got a new keyboard without actually getting one. This style is called "CinemaMovieBld", I guess, it's taken from another Yamaha's keyboard. Now I can play my tune the way I want:

And this my weird tune I composed long ago at night, I had PSR-550 back then, it's mostly a set of chords, now I'm playing it on Juno DS using a pad sound called "Aerial Choir":

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 01:41 PM

Bravo clap hard to beat the sounds on the Roland.
Listening with my headphones on and eyes closed took me to another place in my mind.
“Music is to the soul what words are to the mind.”

Thank you for sharing more please..

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 01:58 PM

Beautiful ...
Kabinopus, do you write the notes for your music onto paper, or use any software such as Notation Composer?
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 02:00 PM

I couldn't help,but imagine your fruitful mind being a long way off,and in a long ago time. I believe it is your creativity that shines through,no matter what instrument. Simply gorgeous.

Bernie

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 02:24 PM

Thank you again, dear friends!

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Beautiful ...
Kabinopus, do you write the notes for your music onto paper, or use any software such as Notation Composer?

This is the place where I confess that I don't have a musical training, neither read or write music :-)

It's not a secret that this music is rather simple, but modern music is generally not that complicated as some classical stuff. So it's all stored in my mind, and now in these videos.

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/04/20 02:37 PM

If you want to preserve your music, software like Notation Composer is fairly easy to work with. You just connect to your computer via a midi connection on the KB and play ... Notation pretty much does the rest ...
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/05/20 04:36 PM

Beautiful music Kabinopus. Love the strings. You make the psr3000 sound wonderful.
I really enjoy listening to movie themes. John Barry I think would have to be one of my favourites, classics like Dances with Wolves, Out of Africa, Indecent Proposal, Chaplain etc , so many of them. Haunting melodies.

Do any of those Freeplay styles actually work on a psr3000?

That Cinema movie Ballad sounds great.

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/14/20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
If you want to preserve your music, software like Notation Composer is fairly easy to work with. You just connect to your computer via a midi connection on the KB and play ... Notation pretty much does the rest ...

This is interesting indeed. I used to make some musical notations using midi and Sonar, maybe I'll give it a try one day. But so far I find the best way to store my music is to make it public :-)

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Beautiful music Kabinopus. Love the strings. You make the psr3000 sound wonderful.
I really enjoy listening to movie themes. John Barry I think would have to be one of my favourites, classics like Dances with Wolves, Out of Africa, Indecent Proposal, Chaplain etc , so many of them. Haunting melodies.

Do any of those Freeplay styles actually work on a psr3000?

That Cinema movie Ballad sounds great.

Glad that you liked it, Rikki. You named a lot of films I'm yet to watch.

As for freeplay styles, I had never been a fan of them on PSR-S950, so I never tried them on PSR-3000. But it's possible that I'd change my mind later.

Recently I tried once again to play the same music on my PSR-S950, somehow I didn't really enjoyed that. Then I switched again to PSR-3000 and it went much better (I mean, my dinner got cold).

Although if I were to go play public, I'd take my S950, as for some bossa nova or other popular music it has some advantages. Great guitar sound, audio styles, etc.

But I suspect that when a new arranger is being designed, everything is focused to make NEW voices and styles sound the best (they adjust DSPs, EQs, effects and so on). And what is left from older models is no longer a priority, so it will sound, but no one cares how well.

Well, it's just a theory. Bottom line is that I'm glad that I failed to sell my old PSR-3000. I guess, each model has some unique qualities.

I've just recorded one more "movie theme" on PSR-3000:

While playing that I was trying also to play a "bell tree" sound using the pedal, but it kept getting cut out, presumably, by the lack of polyphony. It made me think that if Genos has the same 128 voices of polyphony for internal sounds it's not that great for a such an advanced keyboard.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/14/20 04:07 PM

Hi Kabinopus,
another beautiful piece of music.

Sometimes things just work out for best ( in that your psr3000 didn’t sell).

Just out of interest , is it that the psr3000 sounds better than the s950 for your movie themes, or is it the styles. The strings sound really good.

Piano and strings are probably my favourite sounds. I normally don’t buy styles or registrations, but recently I found a registration set for Mantovani strings from Soundwonderland.
Just had to have them.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Re: Two more songs on PSR-3000... - 02/14/20 04:09 PM

Is unlimited polyphony that far away in this day and age.. confused1