Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X

Posted by: Bernie9

Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 01:30 AM

Something must be wrong in my EQ settings of the Korg. I took my SX900 to my weekly band event,not expecting too much in comparison to my Pa4X. I was blown away by difference in how the sound of all the instruments cut through my 12 member band.

There are other factors favoring the Pa4X,but sound wise,the SX900 was great.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Something must be wrong in my EQ settings of the Korg. I took my SX900 to my weekly band event,not expecting too much in comparison to my Pa4X. I was blown away by difference in how the sound of all the instruments cut through my 12 member band.

There are other factors favoring the Pa4X,but sound wise,the SX900 was great.

Interesting report!

organ
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 05:15 AM

I sure do like mine, the sound is excellent. to me the sound IS the most important thing as I don't sing, so that instrument is missing!

Realist sound that does not have issues with them has always been my thing.

The more I play the SX the better I like it. Haven't tweeked the EQ or compressor yet...just chose one of the factory ones...OK, but when I get my SUB, I will customize one.

Feature wise, I do think Korg is better for flexibility, but I have always liked Yamaha sounds and smoothness....
Posted by: zuki

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 07:20 AM

Doesn't surprise me. Why I didn't choose the 4 vs the 3, after several months of mapping everything over, just didn't sound as full to me (think I'm the only one in the world with this opinion). Even using every EQ available (MAXX, etc), nothing inspired me.

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 07:51 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Whether or not I can improve the Korg is another matter,because it already is good sounding and a great keyboard. However, to have one that costs 40% less shining through in sound,with great styles also,is a big bonus for me. It's a great little board.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 11:51 AM

Hi Bernie,
Must say, surprises me. My Pa4x was long gone before I got the sx900, so can’t compare them.

Must say I do love my sx , though.
Posted by: hammer

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 12:35 PM

Bernie,
I have been using my SX900 for 6 weeks now for all my gigs and I really have no complaints.
Another amazing discovery - I have turned off my Bose speaker several times and used only the SX900 speakers and WOW what a job they do! Now every time I setup I test to see if I really will need the Bose or not. So far most of my gigs work well using only the SX900 speakers.

Deane

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 01:23 PM

Thanks Rikki

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 01:28 PM

Hi Deane
Glad to hear that since you and I play similar venues. I agree the speakers are very good for internals. I know they sound better than my PSR s970,but haven't been to a smaller room yet. I am happy to hear your success with it.

Bernie
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 01:36 PM

Bernie, glad to hear you’re enjoying the SX900. I certainly enjoy mine as well.
Mitch
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By hammer
Bernie,
I have been using my SX900 for 6 weeks now for all my gigs and I really have no complaints.
Another amazing discovery - I have turned off my Bose speaker several times and used only the SX900 speakers and WOW what a job they do! Now every time I setup I test to see if I really will need the Bose or not. So far most of my gigs work well using only the SX900 speakers.

Deane

Deane, I know how much you like the SD7, it' great to hear you're doing well with the sX900!

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 03:31 PM

Great to hear, both Bernie and Deane are enjoying their sx900’s.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 04:49 PM

Bernie, did you have the internal speakers off on the SX? Makes a huge difference when the sound is right in your face.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 05:40 PM

I knew my friend Bernie would love the Sx900. The Sx900 is loaded with many surprises, it is a winner.
John C.

PS, I hate the speakers throwing the sound in my face. The sound that comes for the speakers is not the same sound that comes from the PA. Sorry Dave.

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/21/20 05:43 PM

But it ADDS to the total sound, John.

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/22/20 01:31 AM

Dave

I honestly can't be sure. I always have the speakers muted in performance when I use my Bose,but the plug could have not been engaged. I doubt this,however. It is a good question though. I can see the obvious need when no other speakers are used,and in the case of monitoring,when you need to hear yourself. Whether the speakers add to,or misrepresent what the audience hears, is the real question. I don't know.
Posted by: saxxman

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/22/20 10:51 AM

Glad to hear continuing favorable comments on the SX900! Been out of the loop for a while and glad to see the appreciation is still flowing for this great instrument.

Enjoy the SX! Sure still love mine!

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/22/20 01:53 PM

Thanks for tuning in Randy.
All the Best
Bernie
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 09:08 AM

Out of the box, I was a little disappointed in the onboard speaker volume level. After setting up a custom EQ, and turning up the compressor "Output" level to 75-78, it made a huge difference.

Bernie, do you increase the Reverb / Chorus and Resonance (Live Control) on the SX-900? and maybe the pa4X needs that tweek?

Dave, are you saying that turning OFF onboard speakers makes the external speakers sound better? I'm in the market for an external home studio speaker system, any low cost suggestions? lol

It's nice to hear everyone loving the SX-900. I do too smile

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 09:34 AM

Hi Larry,
No, I'm not saying that turning off the internal speakers has a sonic effect on the main outputs. My point is that in a smaller setting, having the internal speakers on WITH an external source will give you a sum of both parts for a totally new sound. If the internal speakers are within ears-reach to anyone, and you add the extra presence of a second system, the audience will hear the blended mix of the two. I like what the internal speakers add to the mix, myself.

Here's are my recommendations for monitors:
(Dnj is also (maybe) selling a pair of speakers ... I think. What day is it? lol)

I have the 8" Eris, and I love them. I also have an almost unused pair of the iLouds that I'll sell you for $200 if you like the smaller route. The B5x's were workhorses at my school for over 10 years. Love all three.

Posted by: lahawk

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 11:19 AM

Thanks Dave,

Your explanation makes sense, and could explain why Bernie's setup sounds better on his SX-900 compared to the pa4X

And funny thing, a few days ago, I watched a PreSonus / iLouds mini comparison video (below) .

My keyboard is setup in a small computer room, and the iLouds mini, being much smaller, might be the perfect fit. So even though some reviewers prefer the PreSonus, the size of the iLouds, and the fact the PreSonus has bass in the rear of the speakers, (may not be good for a small room) I may just take you up on that generous offer.

Would that mean I'd have to drive to Philly? I probably would, especially if Donny buys us breakfast smile

Posted by: Dnj

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 11:36 AM

Larry I have a really nice pair of KRK Rokit 5 Monitors if your interested
$200.00 includes breakfast. wink
Let me know

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 12:04 PM

Larry: Bernie, do you increase the Reverb / Chorus and Resonance (Live Control) on the SX-900? and maybe the pa4X needs that tweek?

Hi Larry
That could be part of it,as I know there is a good amount of effects processing in the SX,which makes it live sounding. I will try it. Thanks for the tip. I did change the eq to the Korg forum recommendation.

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By lahawk

And funny thing, a few days ago, I watched a PreSonus / iLouds mini comparison video (below) .

Hi,
Pretty sure I know which ones I’d go for based on the video. Personally ( and I’m still looking also), I’d pay the extra and go for the iLouds.

May need to check a few more video comparisons if I can find them, as I can’t get to see them in a store.
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 01:19 PM

What about a SUB with any of these monitors?
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By leeboy
What about a SUB with any of these monitors?

http://www.krksys.com/KRK-Subwoofers

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/24/20 03:00 PM

Larry, if you want ... I can either host your visit, or ship the iloud micros when you decide. You can come to Trenton on Wednesdays, or Philly Thurs thru Sundays.
Let me know!

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/25/20 06:16 PM

Rikki, my opinion --- just add a subwoofer, it will complete your sound. (for home use)
I tried using my Bose compact without the small column speakers, volume set very low, I am very satisfied.

John C.

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/25/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By bruno123
Rikki, my opinion --- just add a subwoofer, it will complete your sound. (for home use)
I tried using my Bose compact without the small column speakers, volume set very low, I am very satisfied.

John C.

Thank you John, great to get feedback. Probably best to start with sub woofer, and then add the other speakers if I end up needing them.
If I could get used to having my p121 , sx900 stacked, I wouldn’t need speakers,
( apart from sub woofer) but at the moment I have an L shape configuration , so I do need them. When I’m using p121 as controller, the sound from sx would be coming from the side, not from the front.
My 30 year old monitors, that I’m using at the moment, don’t sound that great anymore. Haha

Basically still working on the best configuration for me, hence I haven’t dashed out to buy new monitors.

Re: Sound of SX900 vs Pa4X - 01/26/20 03:51 AM

Rikki, my opinion: the only way a L shaped configuration sounds its best is to use a separate amp. I think you have to bite the bullet and create the best stackable you can --- and then get used to it. (smile) Or just enjoy them separately.

Above all, keep having fun, John C.