How much time do you spend creating registrations?

Posted by: MusicalMemories

How much time do you spend creating registrations? - 01/18/20 03:18 AM

When creating arrangements for your songs how much time do you spend creating registrations for a song. Do you have goto registrations that you always use or do you create new ones for each song?
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: How much time do you spend creating registrations? - 01/18/20 03:54 AM

I have about 150 registrations for my memorized core songs that I choose by auditioning the styles and OTS,where available. Some of them are derived from like registrations for other songs,with perhaps different instruments. The danger in stereotyping styles too much,is that you could be missing a song specific style eg,that would be a better fit. For that reason,I am constantly tweaking regs as I perform them. I suppose that if I were more technically inclined,I might create some of my own,but I haven't,except MIDI conversions. After the 150 are done,I sometimes go to youtube to get a rough idea,if it is a less familiar song,and search for a like style.

I do this with all my keyboards.
Posted by: Impuls

Re: How much time do you spend creating registrations? - 01/18/20 06:14 AM

For each song i create a registration bank with the (song) style , text. midifile and real time controls ans all other settings,
made now almost 850 different registrations that i use frequently .

I, keys
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: How much time do you spend creating registrations? - 01/18/20 07:35 AM

I use mostly Styles and I've spent a ton of time editing and continue to re-edit as I use them. I also edit the few SMF's I use. I just spent a lot of time reorganizing my main songlist and found I use about 60 Styles which cover anything I need. I edit a Style for live play and it may be used for one or a dozen differnt songs. I've also paired down the sounds I use both in the Styles and for my RH/LH sounds. Less is better for live play.

BTW -BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP, did a gig Thursday and when I tried my main USB drive at home it was unreadable !! First time this happened.
BUT- I make copies to at least 3 other USB drives, copy to my and a copy to my backup HD.