PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad

Posted by: Kabinopus

PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 10:10 AM

Happy New Year to all! laugh

a bit late, well, not that much :-)

I'm still on my PSR-3000, yesterday I came up with this song and today I made a video of it:

My PSR-S950 is still in a bag!

One thing which kind of renewed this keyboard to me is that I tried to add Tremolo Strings to my left hand (I used to add "Slow Strings" instead); maybe I'm overusing it now, but so far I like it this way; I'm into strings myself, but I didn't think that tremolo strings can be used on a regular basis. When my PSR-S950 was in a service, I was looking forward to try this trick on it as well, but when I got it back I found out that PSR-S950's Tremolo Strings were not suitable for this purpose at all. PSR-S950's Tremolo Strings are too dramatic for this sort of music. Surely, there's and old version in "Legacy" folder, but it's rather far, that's why I never tried it before.

BTW, this PSR-3000's guitar does not exist on PSR-S950.

Another trick I use when I play PSR-3000 is "Tempo Delay" DSP for Right 1 voice. I set the amount of effect rather low (about 9), this way it's nearly unnoticeable, but the voice gets richer. Is it cheating? In a way, but it's pretty common for popular music.

The style I use here is "DreamBallad" which I downloaded from PSRTutorial. Surely, certain people contribute a lot to that resource.

I still feel a bit weird that I have this wave of enthusiasm with this old keyboard, I thought that to feel this way I would need some latest keyboard, and that idea was rather uncomfortable.

BTW, if someone knows someone who would want to write lyrics for this and perform, feel free to use it, as so far I gave up an idea of this sort of collaboration where I live.

ADD: Forgot to say, that I control the volume of "Tremolo Strings" with FC7 pedal.
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 11:23 AM

Nice One !!!
Posted by: leeboy

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 12:58 PM

I like it...it is the kind of sounds & music I enjoy...well done.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By Kabinopus

One thing which kind of renewed this keyboard to me is that I tried to add Tremolo Strings to my left hand (I used to add "Slow Strings" instead); maybe I'm overusing it now, but so far I like it this way; I'm into strings myself, but I didn't think that tremolo strings can be used on a regular basis. When my PSR-S950 was in a service, I was looking forward to try this trick on it as well, but when I got it back I found out that PSR-S950's Tremolo Strings were not suitable for this purpose at all. PSR-S950's Tremolo Strings are too dramatic for this sort of music. Surely, there's and old version in "Legacy" folder, but it's rather far, that's why I never tried it before.

The style I use here is "DreamBallad" which I downloaded from PSRTutorial. Surely, certain people contribute a lot to that resource.

Hi Kabinopus,
that was really beautiful.

Your tremolo left hand strings sounded great. Maybe the tremolos strings sounded more mellow on the earlier psr’s? I don’t have an earlier model to compare them too.

Thank you for explaining how you recorded it, very helpful.

Nice style.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 01:44 PM

Very, Very, Nice just beautiful...
Thank you for sharing your work..
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 02:08 PM

Really nice tune , playing and the sounds are great. Can you tell us more about this "tempo delay " feature ? Never heard of that before.
Posted by: zuki

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 02:25 PM

Pretty playing. The 3000 sounds so good. It was my 1st live board when I started back in 2008 and I've never enjoyed a Yamaha product like that one. Thanks for sharing.

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 02:50 PM

Thank you, my friends, I appreciate your attention!

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Can you tell us more about this "tempo delay " feature ? Never heard of that before.

This is how Yamaha calls this DSP effect. It's "Delay", but synchronized with a tempo of a style. So all the "echoes" are going along with the rhythm of the song.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 04:53 PM

What great song, and so beautifully played! You are so talented!

I could totally hear a Spanish language lyrics sung by someone like Luis Miguel. I don’t write music or lyrics but really admire those who do. Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 05:56 PM

Beautiful, just BEAUTIFUL !!!
thank you so much for sharing ...

And no, it's NOT the keyboard ...
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/02/20 06:22 PM

Beautiful job again!
Posted by: john smies

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 01:06 AM

Not much that I can add to the praise that has already been bestowed upon you, you are a most accomplished performer and gifted musician my friend. And as regards the Yamaha PSR-3000 for some reason or other it was and has remained a classic among the Yamaha PSR models much as the Korg PA50/PA80 among Korg keyboards.
I recall owning a PSR-3000 for a short stretch of time in 2009 and in as far as I know there is only one song (unfortunately ) that I recorded with this keyboard, see link below.
Keep on sharing your music and thoughs with us from Russia!!!

regards
John

https://app.box.com/s/l8r7d1tf8r9k7ma8e8i1dl2hy3bkoa0o

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 05:28 AM

I just listened again and pieces of music like this presented really make you wonder why do I need an arranger KB, styles etc,
to create music with so many other choices out there....?

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 06:38 AM

Thank you, Tony, Montunoman, W Tracy Parnell, John for your comments.

Originally Posted By Dnj
I just listened again and pieces of music like this presented really make you wonder why do I need an arranger KB, styles etc,

In my case I can only answer to this question with this very video: mostly I prefer either do everything on-the-fly, or not to do it at all. Step-by-step kind of work is not reality for me; after all, to me playing music is about emotions, and when it becomes more like working in the office at your desk (I mean computer based setups) I don’t really picture myself in that scenario. In the same time, commercial music is indeed more like engineered rather than played, and arranger keyboards don’t have much to do with that process.

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Thank you, Tony, Montunoman, W Tracy Parnell, John for your comments.

Originally Posted By Dnj

In my case I can only answer to this question with this very video: mostly I prefer either do everything on-the-fly, or not to do it at all. Step-by-step kind of work is not reality for me; after all, to me playing music is about emotions, and when it becomes more like working in the office at your desk (I mean computer based setups) I don’t really picture myself in that scenario. In the same time, commercial music is indeed more like engineered rather than played, and arranger keyboards don’t have much to do with that process.

very true words...........well said....we have become a music creative world of automation in so many ways leaving the
real creativity behind we once had. But it is not gone
just pushed to the side, you just have to recreate it, throw away the crutches, detox yourself, and go back to it again.
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Agree 100 percent.
Posted by: solomon8

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 02:53 PM

Very beautiful. I always look for your videos. I know they will be something special. Thank you for sharing your beautiful music.
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 03:38 PM

That was really wonderful music . Those tremelo strings sounded completely authentic . I thought you were using VST’s . You are very talented 👌
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/03/20 04:20 PM

Thank you again for reminding me what a great kb I have with the PSR 3000.

Re: PSR-3000 - Romantic Guitar Ballad - 01/04/20 01:29 PM

Thank you for listening, guys,

Originally Posted By spalding1968
Those tremelo strings sounded completely authentic . I thought you were using VST’s

It reminds me that before I got PSR-3000 in about 2008, I was focused on using VST. Tried a lot of software and libraries, had a midi-keyboard, but eventually got PSR-3000 (had a good deal) and forgot about VST altogether. It’s hard to argue that VST can provide a higher quality, flexibility and affordability, perhaps, it’s not just my cup of tea.