Run Run Rudolph...

Posted by: travlin'easy

Run Run Rudolph... - 12/19/19 01:58 PM

is one of the many songs that erupted from the cobwebs of my aging brain today. I got to see Chuck Berry perform this one in person way back in, if I recall correctly, 1959 while attending a USO Show as a young kid in the US Navy. Never forgot that incredible performance.

Later on, I played in a small rock and roll band formed by some of my shipmates aboard the USS Newport News (CA-148), a heavy cruiser with a crew of about 1,400 men. One of the bandmates, a very tall, skinny, black shipmate named Duburns, played a wild looking, solid body guitar and looked just like Chuck Berry, and played equally as well. His performances were absolutely awesome, and while the ship was deployed in the Mediterranean Sea area, we had the opportunity to play lots of jobs in nearly every seaport.

Run Run Rudolph was among the many Chuck Berry songs we performed back then.

I recorded this directly on the PSR-S950 about 4 p.m. this afternoon, using a 3rd party Johnny B Goode style I obtained many years ago from Rattley. It was then converted to an MP3 using Audacity, and the only edits were normalization of the volume because I recorded it a bit on the hot side.

I wasn't sure I could get through this one and you will likely notice that I began losing my breath about halfway through, and when I checked my oxygen level it was on 84, which is a bit scary. Guess I should have turned on the O2 line before coming into the office. wink

Merry Christmas,

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/19/19 02:32 PM

Sounds real good Gary! HO HO HO!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/19/19 02:44 PM

rocker Gary Rockin the House...
good job buddy great style!! guitar

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/19/19 03:51 PM

Thanks guys for the kudos, I always loved this song and was just happy to still be able to perform it once again.

Merry Christmas, my friends,

Gary cool
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/19/19 04:51 PM

Alright Gary Merry Christmas πŸŽ„ πŸŽ„πŸŽΆπŸŽΆ
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/19/19 07:08 PM

I liked that!
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/19/19 07:52 PM

Gary, real nice, enjoyed it a lot....
Posted by: broker22

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 06:08 AM

Great job Gary got my feet stomping. Cal
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 06:12 AM

Good job, Gary ... I've been rockin' this song also this season ... Sounds like the same style I use ...
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 06:17 AM

Merry Christmas Gary, and thanks for sharing your music!!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Good job, Gary ... I've been rockin' this song also this season ... Sounds like the same style I use ...

Yea baby would love to hear that Tony & others here too...
rock on !!
Posted by: Harold123

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 06:26 AM

You are Rock'in Today Gary...Love it...Harold

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 07:16 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments.

Tony, it's a custom, Yamaha style I got from Rattley many years ago.

Merry Christmas, everyone,

Gary cool
Posted by: zuki

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 02:50 PM

That was a good one Gary. Sounds like you got your 2nd wind near the end, which was really good. Glad you can still find joy, under the circumstances you face. Happy Holidays!

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 06:35 PM

Gary, here is MY version with my "Custom KORG style" ... sounds pretty similar - if not the SAME - no? ...
The name of the style is "Johnny Rock" and works perfectly for "Johnny B. Goode" and other Chuck Berry songs ... In fact Intro #2 can be used as a 'break' when taking a solo in the songs ...
I don't recall if I got this from some styles Rikki sent me some years ago, or from KORG Musikant, from rphillipchuck, or where ever, but obviously they are the same style ... I just added some multipads for Christmas bells - compliments of Donny Dnj, reverse cymbal, and drum fill, to mine ...
I also start the song during Intro 1 ...
Enjoy:
https://app.box.com/s/67kc88v5j4y0f12jwcjg0tlrtswd6emn

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 07:02 PM

Sounds great, Tony - perfect style, excellent vocal harmony, too.

Merry Christmas,

Gary

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 07:16 PM

Thanks, Gary ... It's interesting that it is the same style as yours, but one on a Yammie, the other on a KORGIE ...
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: Run Run Rudolph... - 12/20/19 08:07 PM

Great rendition. Will have to work this up for next year!