JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1

Posted by: Crossover

JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/08/19 05:32 PM

I just checked the reviews of JBL One Compact at Thomann: There are 3 German-language and 1 French reviews so far, and remarkably, all 4 reviewers say that the JBL beats the Bose S1 Pro in terms of sound.
Link: https://www.thomann.de/de/jbl_eon_one_compact_reviews.htm?ar=476306&page=1&order=0&rating=0&reviewlang%5B%5D=1&reviewlang%5B%5D=4
Posted by: Torch

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/08/19 07:38 PM

I often rely on the reviews on Thomann. I do not buy any Bose products. Often I find better alternatives at much lower prices. So the reviews on the the JBL Eon One Compact sound even better for me. The Nano 608i has good reviews on the Thomann site, and I purchased a new unit.
Posted by: country_man

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/08/19 10:20 PM

Yes,
you are right. JBL EON ONE is much powerfull in bass than Bose. No feedback - you can place it behind you:

I'm very satisfied with EON ONE. Oh, you think JBL One Compact?
Unfortunately, I do not know these frown
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/09/19 06:32 PM

more thoughts ...

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/483406#Post483406
Posted by: jimlaing

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/10/19 08:15 AM

Another review, gives the new JBL Compact a positive review,
Sound On Sound magazine:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/jbl-eon-one-compact
Posted by: Dnj

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/10/19 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By jimlaing
Another review, gives the new JBL Compact a positive review,
Sound On Sound magazine:

All Biased...go try the speakers with your own gear
in the store to get a real feel for them...

Personally RCF speakers get the nod from me big time just love them!

https://www.rcf.it/

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/10/19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Always heard great things about RCF, but never seen any in my area. Where have you heard them?

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/10/19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj

Always heard great things about RCF, but never seen any in my area. Where have you heard them?

Frank V at audioworks recommended them to me...
He also used them.. And glad I did.
All I can say is Wow!
And the Jmix8 mixer is top notch too.
Posted by: DonM

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/10/19 01:00 PM

Which RCF speakers to you have?

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/10/19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
Which RCF speakers to you have?

I have both RCF Jmix8 & Jmix
let me add you can also control the Mixer via Bluetooth
from tablet or phone too.

https://www.rcf.it/products/product-detail/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_2MT9qNpeXdu4/20195/493250

For smaller uses I like my Mackie Freeplay LIVE
for it's sound versatility, and portability...
works with Bluetooth also via tablet or phone.

https://mackie.com/products/freeplay-live-portable-pa-system

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/10/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By country_man
Yes,
you are right. JBL EON ONE is much powerfull in bass than Bose. No feedback - you can place it behind you:

I'm very satisfied with EON ONE. Oh, you think JBL One Compact?
Unfortunately, I do not know these frown
JBL Eon One would be comparable to the Maui 11, Bose Compact, and similar models by other manufacturers in terms of sound output, but the Eon One Compact competes with the Bose S1, and both can be battery operated. If I were to choose between the two for battery operation and small venues, I'd choose the Eon Compact. By the way, I almost bought the RCF Evox, but I just didn't like the idea of carrying two units for stereo, whereas the Nano 608i is a 2.1 stereo system, which can be also operated in mono. Plenty of inputs and outputs, also a lot of control via Bluetooth from an IOS device.

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 04:50 AM

I had two nano 600's & is no comparison to the
RCF Jmix8 series sound wise imo .....
I always played in stereo with two units with any system regardless.
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 05:35 AM

Re: JBL Compact vs Bose S1 pro...

I’m guessing that since the JBL has an 8” woofer, there’s the possibility of more low end on the JBL. But if low end is the goal...probably better to go with an even bigger woofer...12” or more.

That said the S1pro has received 118 mostly positive views on Sweetwater. I have a pair of S1 pros and they are still my go to PA’s. I also have the original EON One...great sound but works differently than Bose.
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 06:41 AM

I've used the Bose system, but I've been using the LD Systems Maui 28 G1's for 3 years now in Stereo Pair and they have been sensational for me. I've done all types of venues from Auditoriums, Outdoor, small intimate settings, Grand Halls, and have always been complemented on my sound. Never use monitors. Never get feedback. I actually have been asked to turn down the Bass/Sub's. These also have 2 - 8" woofers, 1" tweeter, 16 3" mid range in each tower. They have endured a 100 gigs.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/tad9770hx9dq317/18622249_1763962226964249_3125053018656063358_n.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 08:36 AM

I'm sure these new JBL copy-cats are amazing, but I'll repeat: I have never needed more bass from my S1pros.
Bose sets the standard, then everyone catches up ... eventually.
smile

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 09:30 AM

Originally Posted By kbrkr
I've used the Bose system, but I've been using the LD Systems Maui 28 G1's for 3 years now in Stereo Pair and they have been sensational for me. I've done all types of venues from Auditoriums, Outdoor, small intimate settings, Grand Halls, and have always been complemented on my sound. Never use monitors. Never get feedback. I actually have been asked to turn down the Bass/Sub's. These also have 2 - 8" woofers, 1" tweeter, 16 3" mid range in each tower. They have endured a 100 gigs.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/tad9770hx9dq317/18622249_1763962226964249_3125053018656063358_n.jpg?dl=0[/img]

great picture

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By kbrkr

Indeed, the Maui 28 is a good sounding system being a Class AB amp; nice and warm, but heavy! I still have my Maui 28. I can't imagine myself carrying two of those!
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I'm sure these new JBL copy-cats are amazing, but I'll repeat: I have never needed more bass from my S1pros.
Bose sets the standard, then everyone catches up ... eventually.
smile

+1

😊
Posted by: DonM

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/11/19 12:36 PM

Maui has caught up, surpassed, and at half the price!

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 12/13/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
I had two nano 600's & is no comparison to the
RCF Jmix8 series sound wise imo .....
I always played in stereo with two units with any system regardless.
Two speakers and two subs are really the right way to do it, and I have no doubt that your two RCFs sound excellent. I almost bought the RCF Evox myself, but I just don't like to carry and set up two systems. The most that I am willing to do is a 2.1 system like the Nano 608i, dB tech ES 503, or Yorkville exm 400. The Nano 608i is a much improvement over the Nano 300. It sounds big and warm. I am hoping for RCF to release a 2.1 stereo system. If I were to carry two speakers, I'd be really interested in the RCF TT08a. RCF just released its second version. An 8 inch powered speaker. It will be over $2,000 for each speaker.

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 01/10/20 10:28 AM

Amazona has a German-language review about the One Compact now. It‘s a bit mixed, they say the mid frequencies are not very clear.
Google translation of the summary:
verything is in there again and it is difficult to draw a conclusion. I try to split it into several parts. Let's say I need a box that I can quickly and flexibly put somewhere so that a little background music sounds at a reasonable volume and I want to be able to connect four of them wirelessly. The JBL EON ONE Compact is top for that. Or I travel to markets or the like and need a light box with a long battery life to which I can connect my microphone - also great. Or I make music in the pedestrian zone and need multiple inputs and a USB power source. If you don't value absolute hi-fi sound - it's great for that too. You can also sit comfortably on it. But if I now want to listen to electronic music at high volume, for example, or attach great importance to the playback quality, I would rather look elsewhere. The weight / volume / battery life factor is great. For that there are drawbacks in the exact music reproduction.

https://www.amazona.de/test-jbl-eon-one-compact-aktivbox-mit-akku-betrieb/

There are also a few reviews on Thomann now stating that the Bose S1 appears clearer in sound to them. So it‘s a matter of taste, probably some like the JBL‘s deeper bass better, for some the mids are clearer with Bose.

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 05/31/20 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By jimlaing
Another review, gives the new JBL Compact a positive review, Sound On Sound magazine:

Agreed +1 EXCELLENT!!

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 06:33 AM

I finally got to use my JBL Eon One compact yesterday Djing
at an small social distancing outdoor Fathers day neighborhood BBQ
with the neighbors. I was very happy with the quality of the sound, battery life after 6 hrs was no problem it's rated for 12 hrs+, or use AC too, loud, crystal clear sound, set it up on a stand, using the JBL app on my phone to EQ, combined with my Djay app, all wirelessly
worked like a charm. my old Bose S1's can't touch this imo,
Great product, really nice features, effects, etc, highly recommended.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 08:05 AM

Donny, back "in the trenches" for SIX HOURS ... good for you ...
What was your playlist like?

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Donny, back "in the trenches" for SIX HOURS ... good for you ...
What was your playlist like?

Tony it was really not "in the trenches" so to speak
but just a small BBQ with close neighbors outside on the lawn.
As far as a playlist I just used Spotify on my phone
with a 50/60s daily mix playlist ...
and my Djay App set it and forget it.
I didn't sing either due to having the mask on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.algoriddim.djay_free&hl=en_US
Posted by: montunoman

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 10:10 AM

Greetings, I have in a pair of Bose S1 pros, and I’ve curious about the JBL Compacts so I went to a Sam Ash store that has a very big show room to compare them. Both my wife and I did “ blindfold” tests and we both liked the sound of Bose better. Not a night and difference so I decided not to make the change.

Those that have spent time with both the Bose and JBL units, what you hearing that I’m not? Or it features? JBL has more features for sure....

Granted, trying something out in a store can be a lot different than on a gig. I thought iI would just buy the JBLs and return them if I did like them, but I just didn’t see the point....

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 10:27 AM

Paul depending on the settings and what you put thru the speakers
and how they were EQ'd makes a big difference...we all hear & play things differently. I had two Bose S1 units after 2 gigs I quickly dumped them just not the sound I need for music and vocals..
many choices out there use what is best for you.

Take care

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 12:21 PM

True dat, Donny. I am no Bose "fan boy" at all. I am really happy with the S1 though, for certain venues. I thought I'd give a listen to the JBL's , thinking their slightly larger size would produce better results. But honestly, it's so hard to tell until you test them out on a gig. Still considering...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 12:54 PM

I looked at JBL when they first introduced it at the local music store. At the time, I still my Bose L1 Compact, which did a fantastic job for me under nearly all conditions and venues. Though the JBL seemed to have a bit more mid range sounds, the quality, IMO, was just not there. I stuck with my Bose L1 Compacts until I retired and never looked back.

Gary cool
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 01:55 PM

As the saying goes, "I have no horse in this race" as I have not even listened to either speaker system, but as I've paraphrased many times, "The beauty of sound is in the EAR of the beholder."
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/22/20 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
As the saying goes, "I have no horse in this race" as I have not even listened to either speaker system, but as I've paraphrased many times, "The beauty of sound is in the EAR of the beholder."

My thoughts exactly.
Posted by: frankieve

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/24/20 03:38 AM

These are also very good, and are a 10" woofer

https://hkaudio.com/produkt/polar-10/

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/hk-audio-polar-10

http://audioworksct.com/hk-audio-polar-1...with-bluetooth/

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/26/20 03:11 PM

Summarizing the reviews from Thomann and some reviews from magazines, it seems that the JBL Eon Compact has a certain advantage with bass, which reaches deeper and is obviously a bit more powerful, however the clarity of the mid frequencies seems to be better with the Bose S1.
I find both quite interesting, but the price point for a stereo pair is steep, so I still prefer a HK Nano 605FX, which certainly has more power, too.
Posted by: Vadim

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 06/27/20 02:45 PM

in terms of sound 99% of speakers on the market beat bose s1.

but these reviews make me wanna test out he jbl eon one.

I heard JBL eon 15" and 12" speakers many times and they sounded pretty bad to me.

but I used JBL MRX 500 and PRX 500 adn 600 series many times and was very happy with them every single time

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 11/25/20 03:47 AM

Taking up this thread again, meanwhile the trend is clear that the Bose S1 Pro are rated a little better on average than the JBL Eon Compact.
However, opinions are split, some say the JBL is clearly more powerful not only in the bass, some emphasize that the Bose has a clearer sound.
Has anyone tested the JBL in the meantime? Still thinking about replacing my current PAs with one of these solutions (in stereo or course).

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 11/25/20 09:02 AM

I was lucky to find the S1 Pro on sale so I went with those and I've been happy with them for a year now. A few weeks ago I did a comparison in the store with the JBL Compact and I liked the Bose better. But I could very well be biased or just accustomed to the sound. Either way, both do a good job for small events and the battery power is a huge plus!

couldn't you just buy both and return the ones that you liked least? It's really hard to tell until you play them with your equipment.

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 11/25/20 12:06 PM

Yes, I could. Online dealers have to accept returns at least 14 days after purchase in the EU. I haven‘t ever ordered products just to test them, so at least I‘m trying to get as much information as possible before ordering. Right now I‘m tending towards the JBL, most who compared both say they are more powerful, and you can achieve quite a clarity when optimizing the eq.

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 02/18/21 11:04 AM

A user critisized in a review that the JBl One Compact uses a ferrit magnet instead of neodym. Does anyone know more about this aspect? I read neodym allows for a better size:output ratio especially for tweeters / high frequencies. But does it mean JBL tried to cut costs and could have squeezed more potential into the same size of speaker?

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 02/18/21 01:46 PM

Still agonizing over this purchase? But it’s good your making an informed decision Hopefully you can just listen to them side by side and let your ears be the judge.

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 02/18/21 05:27 PM

Not at all agonizing. I don‘t need new speakers. It would be pure luxury to buy them and sell my present ones. I‘m reading the latest reviews once in a while, and now I‘m just interested in learning about this technical detail of neodym vs ferrit magnet. (Knowledge is more important than speakers wink )

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 02/20/21 03:37 PM

Rationally, I think if you don't really need battery-powered PA (and I can barely remember a situation in which electricity wasn't available), both Bose S1 and JBL Eon One Compact are bad choices regarding value for money. Compared with a pair of Yamaha DBR 10 or the new JBL IRX 108 BT (only 7.9 kg a piece), they lack output and don't produce deeper bass either. Also the horizontal coverage of the sound is just a little better with the Bose S1, not much.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 02/20/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By Crossover
Rationally, I think if you don't really need battery-powered PA (and I can barely remember a situation in which electricity wasn't available), both Bose S1 and JBL Eon One Compact are bad choices regarding value for money. Compared with a pair of Yamaha DBR 10 or the new JBL IRX 108 BT (only 7.9 kg a piece), they lack output and don't produce deeper bass either. Also the horizontal coverage of the sound is just a little better with the Bose S1, not much.

Your so right. I have a JBL 610 I haven't used in awhile so I pulled it out today to see if it could be a good stand alone for smaller venues and rehersals. Wow, it blew me away, especiall the bass. I've only used it as a monitor with my pair of the Eon One vertical models for duo jobs with my sax player. I too have never a the need for battery power and I think you pay a lot for that feature. These JBLs are the best speakers I've ever owned.
Posted by: GlennT

Re: JBL Eon One Compact reviews: beats Bose S1 - 03/07/21 01:47 PM

Anyone hear the Electro-Voice EVOLVE 30M Portable Powered Column L? heard this outdoors a few days ago, guy doing a single w backing tracks. Sounded great, better than any Bose.