Part 2 DEMO NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones

Posted by: Dnj

Part 2 DEMO NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 12:19 PM

Here I want too show you two examples of which I recorded on my Genos of what I am talking about in Pt 1 of this topic
regarding replacing your old Yamaha Styles from previous units with the newer ones on SX/Genos units
and how they sound very different instrumentally....
replacing is always a personal choice and not a requirement, and sometimes it is not just intro/endings but thruout variations style parts,multipads,etc,.. also..
but many sound so much better. headphone

1- Older COOL 8Beat style intro/ending

https://app.box.com/s/g47c12u4aycpt5dpzdefum9kqzomn7yl

2- Newer Genos COOL 8Beat style intro/ending

https://app.box.com/s/vginoxlsa4p6o30qzccsbvzo1g6id4ex

Happy Replacing....and good luck.

enjoy
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 01:01 PM

Nice Style and the new does sound a lot better. I found this out on my ancient BK9. Some files I transferred from my G1000 just didn't sound as good as those built into the BK9. Even if I couldn't find the same Style there was always something close enough to use.
Keep enjoying the new board.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 01:02 PM

Hi Donny,
maybe it’s just me, but to me they both sound great. I’d have difficulty choosing. For me good case for having both, especially if someone uses the style’s actual intro’s and endings. Nothing like mixing it up a bit.
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 01:21 PM

The second (new) one is refreshing – the first one doesn’t sound much different from PSR-S950 (although I can’t compare right now as mine is still away), but I must say that I find the first one more sophisticated, the guitar with its nuances is really “well-thought”, so I can’t say that it’s about an improvement. But due to new drums the second one is impressive in its own way.

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 02:11 PM

Don't get caught up on this one style there are hundreds that have been improved you have to go through the banks and check them all out then compare them to the old ones it's not just the intros and endings it's the style parts in between... sounds... strumming, phrases, vocals, .. Etc.. you have to compare them all..

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 03:27 PM

Hi Donny ,
I did , about 4,000 of them.
I checked by file size first , ie the likely hood of of two styles with the same name, and the same amount of kb’s being different, not likely.
Those I only checked Intro 3 and a couple of variations, just to make sure.

Others I had to check way more thoroughly.

I wouldn’t bother keeping a style just because it might have had a slightly different drum beat in a fill or something, if the overall sound was not useable.

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 03:31 PM

That's great Rikki keep up the good work and you'll find some real goodies in there to play...

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 04:01 PM

Hopefully some will prove useful. I’m all burnt out on style hunting. Haha

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears

Have you started your registration songs OTs yet and play list..
Posted by: gambler

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 04:34 PM

l like both styles too, but there's an added realism on the newer one which is definitely worth changing to. And l agree there are many more newer styles which are better too.

One other thing which some might hopefully find helpful is also to do with certain older styles. When l first switched from Tyros 5, to the Genos l was so engrossed in just enjoying playing the Genos that l was mainly using some registrations that l'd bought for the Tyros. Whilst the sounds etc sounded better than the Tyros, on certain styles there was an annoying faint screech every few bars. The nearest thing l can describe it to, is the fretting sounds on a guitar. Although faint it was distracting and one of those sounds that you can't unhear once you've heard it. The simple remedy was to replace the styles with the newer Genos styles and that solved the problem.

kind regards,

Russ

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/17/19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Have you started your registration songs OTs yet and play list..

Hi Donny,
I have. and I’m linking mine to an iPad app called songbook+.

My registrations and playlist is going to be real easy, I don’t know that many songs. Haha. I’m starting to practice , though. Better late than never. ( I hope) haha

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/18/19 08:18 PM

Rikki how many of the styles are you using with your music?

personally 40-50 go to styles is all I need to cover
just about any song I do,..or I might change instrumentation
on the same style etc,..

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/18/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Ummm, 2 so far, slow starter.

I gotta get off this forum, haha, I talk too much.

Sad, I’m sitting in front of the keyboard now, talking instead of playing. Haha

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/19/19 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Ummm, 2 so far, slow starter.

I gotta get off this forum, haha, I talk too much.

Sad, I’m sitting in front of the keyboard now, talking instead of playing. Haha

only 2 confused1 ....I hope your working on setting up your Mixed Genre repertoire, playlist, Registration song list, Mp3/Smf songs etc, etc, ..
Holiday, Novelty, and Traditional,
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/19/19 07:48 AM

Rikki,
Suggestion... Pick 1 song you really like each week, and learn it well...including optimizing the sounds etc.

and, each week, go back and play all the ones you learned previously....(at least until you have a long list, Haha)
Lee

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/19/19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

only 2 confused1 ....I hope your working on setting up your Mixed Genre repertoire, playlist, Registration song list, Mp3/Smf songs etc, etc, ..
Holiday, Novelty, and Traditional,

Hi Donny,
I’ve only used a couple of styles so far, and setup a few songs using those styles with registrations and songbook+
I’m still trying to get some practice ie piano and keyboard, so currently I’m just playing from the sheet music/book itself. A lot of the time I use piano voice, so easy enough to just alter the tempo on the style. I’ve always jotted down notes on the music, ie styles that work. So fairly simple. I have a few favourites that work with most of the music I can play at the moment.
The registrations and songbook+ are going to be a fairly big project for me, have to scan all the music in blah, blah , blah. I’ll just take my time.

Only thing I may need to put a rush on is some Christmas carols. Found out last night 10 year old grandson is learning 4 of them at band practice for his new saxophone. The 2 of us can make beautiful music together ( maybe not) haha

Re: Part 2 Using NEW Yamaha Styles Replace Old Ones - 11/19/19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By leeboy
Rikki,
Suggestion... Pick 1 song you really like each week, and learn it well...including optimizing the sounds etc.

and, each week, go back and play all the ones you learned previously....(at least until you have a long list, Haha)
Lee

Good suggestion Lee,
I can actually play quite a few, just have to try and focus. I do use, one style in particular for a heap of my showtune type ballads Broadway Ballad, at different tempos , works with at least 20 of my songs at different tempos. I just don’t use the intro’s. Piano Ballad is another one that I use a lot.
When I start setting up registrations, I’ll check out more options.

Btw,
that Somewhere in Time you posted the other day, got me looking for some other John Barry themes, found Sheet music for another for Indecent Proposal . It got me practicing. Thankyou.