This one's been kicked around lately. Jazzy Ballad play

Thx for the nice comments. I'm done for a while smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC223AfO7jhTJWwKugmqTkWA?view_as=subscriber
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Nearness of You - 11/16/19 02:50 PM

Very nice , thank you Zuki for sharing.
Posted by: saxxman

Re: Nearness of You - 11/16/19 03:01 PM

Zuki - super job! Perfect style and execution! Great chords and lyric melody line! Thanks and... encore!
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Nearness of You - 11/16/19 03:04 PM

Jim. Nice job, or should I call you “Toots” as in Thielemans. All kidding aside I enjoyed all 3 demos.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Nearness of You - 11/16/19 03:14 PM

Nicely done... I sing this one all the time....

Tasty!
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Nearness of You - 11/16/19 03:58 PM

Thanks for sharing Zuki...sounds great!
Mitch
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Nearness of You - 11/16/19 06:14 PM

Great stuff! I’m a fan and I subscribed to your YouTube channel!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Nearness of You - 11/16/19 06:15 PM

Great rendition, Jim. Loved every minute of it.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: Nearness of You - 11/18/19 08:35 AM

Nice.

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 06:42 AM

Zuki..thank you again
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Zuki....Thank you for sharing your amazing version of this beautiful tune.I thought I'd share mine also of "The Nearness Of You"...enjoy..

https://app.box.com/s/x29mubffwm1uwxa3xzovw9h5pn6mt3xr

Donny we know you are in the top 10 vocalist here..
Singing to a great commercial track is not a fair comparison to Jim's video .. playing spontaneously in real time on an arranger keyboard..

He is showing his playing technic.. You need to think like a harmonica player (even as a one finger player to achieve realistic sound.)

I think you should do a live recording on the Genos, and let us see what it has to offer. smile

BTW: I notice Jim is using those black keys too grin
Posted by: zuki

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 07:45 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Donny, thx for sharing your vocal rendition (great silk, as usual).

It sure makes me want to go back to the drawing board after listening to a professional arrangement!

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 07:57 AM

Fran I'm done ever contributing any of music...
I'll remove it and let you appreciate style play only.. I won't discuss how it was recorded..

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Fran I'm done ever contributing any of music...
I'll remove it and let you appreciate style play only.. I won't discuss how it was recorded..

Don't do that!!! You know that style play is my least favorite thing on an arranger keyboard smile

The point was to explain what Jim was doing live, and the difference between your version and his..

Now grab your sand bucket and come back to the sandbox. smile
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Donny we know you are in the top 10 vocalist here..
Singing to a great commercial track is not a fair comparison to Jim's video .. playing spontaneously in real time on an arranger keyboard..

He is showing his playing technic.. You need to think like a harmonica player (even as a one finger player to achieve realistic sound.)

I think you should do a live recording on the Genos, and let us see what it has to offer. smile

BTW: I notice Jim is using those black keys too grin

Agree 100%. Really poor taste. Jim, you're a good sport. Personally, I'd be pissed if I posted a personal, self-made performance and 3 seconds later someone posted a professionally prepared version (for what purpose? to show mine up?). Sometimes ego can dull people's sensitivity to what they're doing. Want to do an alternative version, fine, but let's keep a level playing field. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to be sensitive to the original poster.

chas
Posted by: girljam

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 08:25 AM

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing! I always truly enjoy hearing any and all renditions of these great classics!
One day I will dust my mic off again for some recording! I envy those of you that have a little more time than I do right now . . . I would play all day if I could!

Play on!!

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 08:26 AM

Like I said Angry haters will be haters
Posted by: zuki

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 08:31 AM

I surely did not take offense to Donny. He's a great sport and just sharing his work too? Donny, above all, including Fran and Gary and Don were the ones that took me under their wings when I started playing live again. All willing to give all.

Heck, Don offered to take a keyboard off my hands because I was so upset I bought it! And Russ, the same. I even met Russ and he got me off the hook. There was nothing for him in the deal. Some nice people here.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 08:53 AM

Hmmm, wonder if we'll ever get to a place where one can venture an opinion without being labeled a "Angry hater". BTW, Fran and I said basically the same thing. Is he an Angry hater also?

chas
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 09:17 AM

And here we go again !!!
stop stop stop

zuki, Randy, others, PLEASE post more music ...

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 11:57 AM

Also DEFINITELY not looking to pick a fight, and I debated a long time before posting this because I'm really not one to 'stir the pot' ... but I really tried to look at this while taking the 'personalities' out of the equation... And I am NOT writing in defense of Donny, as he and I have had our disagreements - perhaps just not in a public forum - but I am just writing about what others have done from time to time ...
I have come to these thoughts:
1) I did not see anywhere in his post that Donny was 'comparing' his version to Jim's ... I've always felt that when Donny posted a vocal, he was showcasing his vocal talent and how it connected the the sounds of whatever KB he had at the time, and as he has said many, many times -using all the tools available - ...
2) as for posting a different version of a song in the same thread as Jim's - I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times that has been done - with no mal-intent - by any number of the people on this board who I truly respect as musicians and vocalists - and I NEVER recall ANYONE being called out on it ... usually the comments were in the line of "thanks for posting, nice to hear a different version..."

So why don't we ALL take a step back, take a DEEP breath, and when we write a post, read it, re-read it and re-read it again, and then EDIT it as necessary ...

Otherwise we will become like today's athletes who go banging helmets into another player's head, or spitting in their face ...

And Fran, it's not technic, but technique ... Just Sayin' ... wink grin (from The Spelling Police)

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 12:17 PM

I get my shortcuts from that mediocre keyboard company grin

Technic | Definition of Technic by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/technic

Jun 14, 2017 · Technic definition is - technique. Recent Examples on the Web Until that time, many users will continue to experience the technics of everyday life as bewildering, overwhelming, even hostile. — Longreads, "A Sociology of the Smartphone," 14 June 2017 This opera is made out of an entirely new musical technic. . . — Russell Platt, The New Yorker, …

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Also DEFINITELY not looking to pick a fight, and I debated a long time before posting this because I'm really not one to 'stir the pot' ... but I really tried to look at this while taking the 'personalities' out of the equation... And I am NOT writing in defense of Donny, as he and I have had our disagreements - perhaps just not in a public forum - but I am just writing about what others have done from time to time ...
I have come to these thoughts:
1) I did not see anywhere in his post that Donny was 'comparing' his version to Jim's ... I've always felt that when Donny posted a vocal, he was showcasing his vocal talent and how it connected the the sounds of whatever KB he had at the time, and as he has said many, many times -using all the tools available - ...
2) as for posting a different version of a song in the same thread as Jim's - I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times that has been done - with no mal-intent - by any number of the people on this board who I truly respect as musicians and vocalists - and I NEVER recall ANYONE being called out on it ... usually the comments were in the line of "thanks for posting, nice to hear a different version..."

So why don't we ALL take a step back, take a DEEP breath, and when we write a post, read it, re-read it and re-read it again, and then EDIT it as necessary ...

Otherwise we will become like today's athletes who go banging helmets into another player's head, or spitting in their face ...

And Fran, it's not technic, but technique ... Just Sayin' ... wink grin (from The Spelling Police)

Tony your one of the good guys here, Thank you
just do a read thru to see what is going on here,..
I pulled my version to keep the peace.
my $hit list keeps getting bigger all the time..

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 01:25 PM

Thanks, Donny, but I think it's time for you to take your foot off the gas pedal ...
I know some of this has been personal for you, but Don't sweat the small stuff ... And it's ALL small stuff ...

Re: Nearness of You - 11/19/19 01:40 PM

Thanks Tony.....
I'm gonna sit back and enjoy playing my Genos...

keys