Trouble updating firmware on SX900

Posted by: jingleman

Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 10:28 AM

I followed the procedure as outlined on the Yamaha site. Tried 2 different usb drives. Held the the power and stop/start button along with the power button. Display reads insert the files
Disc. Then it just sits there with the usb drive flashing.

Anyone have an idea as to what I’m doing wrong?
Thanks,
JM
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 10:30 AM

I don't remember holding the power button. Just the other two. The power button was a single push for me.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 10:49 AM

You MUST format the USB drive in the SX900. Then put the setup file on it. Directions are included in the download, but basically you just hold Start Button and turn it on and do what it says.
Of course unzip the download file. smile

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:11 PM

I have the files unzipped on the drive. What other button besides the start stop button are you supposed to hold down?

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:15 PM

Firmware Installation Procedure
Notice: Do not turn off the power of the instrument or remove the USB flash drive during this operation.

1) Download the firmware
a) Download the Zip file to the computer.
b) Connect the USB flash drive to your computer.
c) Extract the *.prg file and copy it to the root directory of your USB flash drive.

2) Connect the USB flash drive to the instrument
Connect the USB flash drive containing the downloaded files to the USB TO DEVICE terminal of the instrument.
Notice: Make sure that the USB flash drive is properly connected to the terminal.
Excessive force or incorrect insertion may damage the terminal.

3) Install the firmware
a) While holding down the STYLE CONTROL [START/STOP] button on the panel, turn the power on.
b) When the following message appears, press the [START/STOP] button to start the firmware installation.
c) When firmware installation is complete, the following message appears with the new firmware version. Press the power button on the instrument to turn it off.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Just the other two.

What two buttons Dave?

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:31 PM

Thanks guys...but the screen says “Please Insert the Install media” and the drive sits there flashing. Screen does not change.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By jingleman
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Just the other two.

What two buttons Dave?

Ooops - sorry it's ONE button "Style Start/Stop" I was thinking 2.
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:41 PM

Try another usb stick to see if it that's the problem.
Sometimes they fail, even if it's not very often nowadays.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:43 PM

I’ve tried 2...but I’m off to work. Try again tomorrow.
Thanks guys,
JM
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 12:44 PM

You never acknowledged that you formatted the drive on the SX900. Don said that's a MUST. Just in case you missed it.

chas
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 01:03 PM

Have you tried the the usbs by saving something on them?
I downloaded a list from Yamaha site that listed the USB’s that had been tested for use ( or something along those lines also I think they can only be up to 32 gig, if I remember correctly. I had a couple of 16 gig sandisks the type I had weren’t mentioned on the list , but they did work.

When I did my update I must have been having a bad morning, haha, or nervous about doing update, I didn’t quite understand the

C. Extract the *.prg file and copy it to the root directory of your USB flash drive.

I did the extraction, then,
Wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be left in the extracted folder or just the file inside the folder.
I had both on there, went thru procedure and it worked as it should.
Still haven’t got a clue which was the correct one.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 01:16 PM

🤔
I've not checked the SX manual, but if there is two USB ports at the SX and a USB stick also is connected in the other than where update file is at same time, that may be the problem.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 02:43 PM

You can only have ONE USB drive in when you update.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 03:05 PM

Only had one USB stick in. Formatted 2 different sticks. Unzipped the file on computer and copied files to usb stick. SX appears to be looking for files as it continues to flash. It's just not recognizing them and moving on to the next step. I'll try a fresh usb stick tomorrow. Done this a million times...totally perplexed??????
Mitch

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 03:39 PM

If used same USB port when the update fails, maybe worth to try the other one as well just in case one port has priority 1.
Usually it doesent matter, but who knows. 🤔
A factory reset may help to fix softwarebug if it's not a hardware issue.
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 03:41 PM

ha. Love these simple to use new keyboards!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 03:52 PM

Have you done a complete factory restore and then try to re-install it
Posted by: DannyUK

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 03:55 PM

What USB drives are you using as the keyboard may not like some of them. There's a list of compatible drives to use if unsure.

Also, have you run some other checks or tests, like can the keyboard read any other files OK such as midi files, styles, multipads, regs etc.... if the SX900 can't read anything at all then it's pointing towards hardware either with the drive or God forbid the keyboard itself... However, if it does load any other types of files, then I think you may have a corrupt install file? Try downloading and extracting it again, put the file in the root of the USB stick, eg, not in any folders etc..

Hope it works out.
All the best.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 05:45 PM

The SX allowed me to format both USB sticks...And I've tried both USB ports separately. Like I said...The USB stick will flash as if it's reading data...just won't take me to the next install page.

I'll try a system restore and a different usb stick tomorrow. I'll also re-download the firmware and unzip. If I'm not mistaken...after unzipping the file, there are 5 or 6 different files on the drive. Does that sound right?
Thanks,
JM

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 05:50 PM

Hi JM,

No, there should be just the one file after you extract it called:

PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG

Is that not what you see?

I got the download from here:

https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/software/2/1285152/psr-sx900_v103.zip

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 05:52 PM

No problem updating sx900
using my 128g SanDisk USB drive..
Hope yours isn't defective.. Good luck

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By DannyUK
Hi JM,

PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG

I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys!
JM

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Hi Donny,
Now that is weird.
Yamaha has a compatibility list , nothing over 32 gig.
I had a Sandisk ultra fit 128 gig, must have been the S950 I tried it in, wouldn’t recognise it, just tried it in the SX, it formatted , and appears to save styles.

So thank you, not that I’d probably ever use that amount of data on sx, but, better than having it sitting in a draw.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 09:53 PM

Hi JM,

PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG

Hi Danny, when I did mine, I extracted and ended up with a file inside a folder.
I ended up copying the extracted folder with the file inside to USB as well as just the file itself.
The sx read one of them, just not sure which was the correct one.

Wondering if all Extract programs are the same?

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/30/19 11:00 PM

I just downloaded the zipfile to see, (psr-sx900_v103.zip) , and the only file inside the zip is: PSR-SX900SETUP.PRG

Thats the only file needed for the update, and shall be copied into the root of the USB stick.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_psr-sx900.html

Edit: Sorry to repeat the posts above, did not see page 2 at this thread before I posted my reply. blush

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/31/19 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By Dnj

Hi Donny,
Now that is weird.
Yamaha has a compatibility list , nothing over 32 gig.
I had a Sandisk ultra fit 128 gig, must have been the S950 I tried it in, wouldn’t recognise it, just tried it in the SX, it formatted , and appears to save styles.

So thank you, not that I’d probably ever use that amount of data on sx, but, better than having it sitting in a draw.

Rikki yes the 128G usb drive worked perfectly in the sx900...
BUT the file folder limitation on Yamaha is ridiculously low on the S models it was 499 files per folder which was a big pain when you have a few thousand songs, smf, mp3, lyrics etc, and have to keep switching folders to see them mad ...this needs to be fixed ...

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/31/19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Rikki yes the 129G usb drive worked perfectly in the sx900...
BUT the file folder limitation on Yamaha is ridiculously low on the S models it was 499 files per folder which was a big pain when you have a few thousand songs, smf, mp3, lyrics etc, and have to keep switching folders to see them mad ...this needs to be fixed ...

Hi Donny,
wondering if maybe that’s why they only list USB sticks up to 32 gigs. Anything over might just be a total waste of space.

P.s great news Mitch , that you finally got it sorted.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/31/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears

Hi Danny, when I did mine, I extracted and ended up with a file inside a folder.
I ended up copying the extracted folder with the file inside to USB as well as just the file itself.
The sx read one of them, just not sure which was the correct one.

Wondering if all Extract programs are the same?

Hi Rikki,

As far as I know, it should be the 1 file. The one I downloaded didn't get extracted into a folder it was just the straight .prg file that I coped onto the root of the USB stick and the SX900 picked it up straight away. I used WinRAR to extract the file contents but perhaps some others creates a folder as well, which actually is a good thing in case there are many files being extracted all over the place so it keeps it tidy. As long as it's placed in the root of the USB in the end then it will work.

Re: Trouble updating firmware on SX900 - 10/31/19 01:10 PM

Hi Rikki,

As far as I know, it should be the 1 file. The one I downloaded didn't get extracted into a folder it was just the straight .prg file that I coped onto the root of the USB stick and the SX900 picked it up straight away. I used WinRAR to extract the file contents but perhaps some others creates a folder as well, which actually is a good thing in case there are many files being extracted all over the place so it keeps it tidy. As long as it's placed in the root of the USB in the end then it will work.

Thank you Danny,
must be the extraction software I used, haven’t got a clue what it is, but it insisted on a folder to extract into. I had read and reread the instructions half a dozen times and they didn’t match what was happening with my file. In the end I copied the file itself plus the folder with the file inside onto USB and hoped one or the other would work.
It did thank goodness.

At least next time I know to just let the extraction program do it’s own thing and I just need to copy the file.itself.