Just for Rikki

Posted by: travlin'easy

Just for Rikki - 10/29/19 06:26 PM

The noise in the first part of the video was from the suction cup breaking loose that held the video camera. After that, everything seemed ok for the GoPro to record. Now you can see how shot to Hell I am these days.

The S-950 style that was used was a 6/8 Celtic March style tempo of 123, A and D variations, and I got lazy and played it single fingered. The right hand strings on the Yamaha, IMO, were ideally suited for this song, so I did a bit of an instrumental segment, nothing fancy, just something to add to the song. I only used the basic chords of the song and could have fancied it up a bit with some intermittent minors, but I've become lazy in my old age. I've always loved this song, but I have not had the opportunity to play it for nearly 20 years, so I had to download the lyrics in order to sing it. 20 years ago, those words were embedded solidly in my memory. Carol was right, the mind was the second thing to go. wink

Gary cool
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/29/19 09:37 PM

Hi Gary,
you brought tears to my eyes again, happy ones this time, thank you so much for going to all that effort to record Waltzing Matilda for me, truly feel honoured.
You sure still have it. Truly great version thank you, thank you.

Many wanted to make it our national anthem when we changed our anthem years ago from the English one to an Australian one.
Advance Australia Fair, won out in the end.
Song truly depicted theAussie larrikin spirit.

p.s. my middle name happens to be Mathilda,
(European version has an H in it) named after a great aunt.
Posted by: Harold123

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/29/19 10:08 PM

Hope it's OK for Me to comment?...You are a PERFECT GENTLEMAN and an AWSOME ONE too! You set such a Example for Myself to follow during the short time I have Known You. I don't stand a chance! But I'll TRY Harder anyway...Keep playing and Singing...Love it....Sincerely Harold
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/29/19 11:50 PM

Loved it Gary. Awesome job. Made me feel homesick.
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 02:23 AM

Thank's for sharing Gary. smile
Haven't heard or played that song for a long time, now it's time to put it up on the playinglist again.
Posted by: The Saint

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 03:17 AM

Nice job Gary.

Following Rikki's comment, I believe it was later adopted as "Our National Song",

Ray dance
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 05:52 AM

Gary well done!! you did it again buddy.. clap
I love you man!!

Thanx for sharing
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 06:48 AM

Refreshing to see such a classy, respectful sentiment here ...an example to follow.
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 06:57 AM

Good job Gary, great of you to take time to do it.

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 07:50 AM

Thanks everyone, for the compliments. I'm glad that I am still able to still belt out a tune now and then. Life has been very challenging during the past three years and I hope to make the best of what little life I have left.

Love ya all,

Gary cool
Posted by: saxxman

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 08:07 AM

Great job Gary! Nice work on the stings parts too! Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 08:29 AM

Hi Gary, nice work! I’m so glad to see you still enjoying your music . Keep it up!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 10:05 AM

You are loved my good friend!

R.

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
You are loved my good friend!

R.

Ditto, you really helped brighten up my day yesterday. Thank you.
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 12:54 PM

You look and sound well, Gary! Thank you for sharing. That'd be cool if you proceed with your YouTube channel!
Posted by: Terrysutt

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 01:40 PM

Great Job Gary and I love that Celtic March style.

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 01:47 PM

Thanks guys and gals, and I'm happy that I was able to make your day a bit brighter, Rikki. Music should always be a fun part of life, IMO, and there's no such thing as having too much fun. smile

Love ya,

Gary cool

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Music should always be a fun part of life, IMO, and there's no such thing as having too much fun. smile

Love ya,

Gary cool

I think we all agree on that one Gary.
Take care..

P.s. how is your wife going after the surgery, haven’t spotted if she is back home yet.

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 02:49 PM

Rikki, Carol's hip replacement went very well and she is home after a month of physical therapy at a nearby facility. Unfortunately, her knee on the same leg is completely shot and must be replace, which is now scheduled for March of 2020. After the surgery she will likely spend at least 2 months in physical therapy at the same location. My biggest fear is that I will not be alive to take care of her, but I might get lucky and dodge the big bullet for a while longer.

Thanks for asking, Rikki,

Gary cool
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 04:39 PM

Learning all the great things about Australia and it's fantastic people take's some time... and they all "migrate" to wherever this song is played. Great job, Gary. Nice adaptation to the "style."

Enjoyed so much, ----Dave

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 05:11 PM

Rikki, Carol's hip replacement went very well and she is home after a month of physical therapy at a nearby facility. Unfortunately, her knee on the same leg is completely shot and must be replace, which is now scheduled for March of 2020. After the surgery she will likely spend at least 2 months in physical therapy at the same location. My biggest fear is that I will not be alive to take care of her, but I might get lucky and dodge the big bullet for a while longer.

Thanks for asking, Rikki,

Gary cool

You’ ll still be here Gary. Maybe you can sing happy birthday for me next March.
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 05:34 PM

Nice going Sailor mate. Proud to call you a friend.

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 08:29 PM

Rikki, If I can still draw a breath, I promise I will sing Happy Birthday to you in March.

Larry, proud to call you a friend as well.

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/30/19 09:02 PM

Rikki, If I can still draw a breath, I promise I will sing Happy Birthday to you in March.

Larry, proud to call you a friend as well.

All the best,

Gary cool

Thank you, look forward to it.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/31/19 05:40 AM

Gary, keep on keepin' on ...

Re: Just for Rikki - 10/31/19 08:48 AM

Thanks Tony, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

Gary cool