Yamaha keysize

Posted by: Bachus

Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 04:42 AM

I was amazed to find the 76 keyboard on my Roland to be more then an inch wider then the 76 keyboard on my Genos..

I was thinking Yamaha left that path long ago..
How i was wrong about that..

But does anyone remember why the yamaha has a different keysize in the first place?
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 04:50 AM

Your Roland is wider than your Roland?
Posted by: FransN

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 05:38 AM

I think he mean his Genos.
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 08:30 AM

Why did you tell me that! Now I'm gonna be uncomfortable!

I just measured 61 keys on my PSR-3000 and on Juno DS, and 61 keys on PSR are nearly equal to 60 keys on Juno.

But I think that a brain compensates it quite well. Even mini keys usually are not that confusing as you may expect them to be.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 08:50 AM

My Roland is larger than my Roland..

For real smile

61 keys on E-A7 measures 33 inches.

61 0f the 76 keys on the G70 measure 33 and I/2 inches.

76 keys measure 41 and 7/8 inches.
Posted by: salsaman

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 10:08 AM

I think you will find that the "cracks" are bigger on the Roland. Actually the keys are identical on both brands.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted by: salsaman

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 10:15 AM

When the piano was first invented, it only had one note. You had to have 88 pianos to play a musical composition. My Great Great Great grandfather was a famous inventor and he invented the "crack" which made playing the piano so much easier....
Posted by: Sapphire

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 10:24 AM

Well, if it's any help :- Tyros 5 = 32 1/2 ins. Ketron SD7 33 1/2 ins. but I use the T5 for both boards.

Alan.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By salsaman
When the piano was first invented, it only had one note. You had to have 88 pianos to play a musical composition. My Great Great Great grandfather was a famous inventor and he invented the "crack" which made playing the piano so much easier....

...especially for some of our SZ members who tend to SING in the cracks. I won't name names smile smile.

chas
Posted by: saxxman

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 11:23 AM

I've tripped on the cracks, slipped on the cracks, and slipped through the cracks....but be well advised...never smoked any cracks! smile Just sayin'! rotf2

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 11:29 AM

I think you will find that the "cracks" are bigger on the Roland. Actually the keys are identical on both brands.

Inquiring minds want to know.

No Theo are nog,.. the oppositie, Yamaha had beter cracks..

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By sparky589
Your Roland is wider than your Roland?

Definately not..

IT says Roland wider toen Genos..
Please reread..

Thank God, for edditing...

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Why did you tell me that! Now I'm gonna be uncomfortable!

I just measured 61 keys on my PSR-3000 and on Juno DS, and 61 keys on PSR are nearly equal to 60 keys on Juno.

But I think that a brain compensates it quite well. Even mini keys usually are not that confusing as you may expect them to be.

Well, i think the mind remembers the the distantie getweeën keys.. don’t think i can blindly move more toen 3 octaves.

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 11:36 AM

I just checked... Roland inreed uses the keywith of a grand piano..
Posted by: TedS

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 07:20 PM

A while ago I researched this... Some studies have suggested that smaller keys permit easier "spanning" of octaves and improved reach, without materially increasing the chances of a wrong note. I think the study determined that a key about 87 to 94 percent as wide as a standard piano key benefitted players with small hands, without materially impairing those with larger hands. So some of you might actually be able to play better on the smaller keys of the Yamaha!

This comment only addresses key WIDTH. Not the length, throw depth, weight, firmness, velocity response, etc.

I love the idea of a "micro arranger." But I don't practice nearly enough as it is, so I didn't want to confuse my muscle memory by spending any length of time playing mini keys. IMO Korg threw away a golden opportunty, because that board had a lot of wasted space. They could have based it on the portable Kross battery-powered synth. It would have been 2.5" longer, and with 61 full-size keys!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/28/19 07:28 PM

My favorite keys are on the Roland G70
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 07:29 AM

I always felt the G70 keys were too long. Uncomfortable. Nice feel, but unusually looooooooog.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 07:50 AM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I always felt the G70 keys were too long. Uncomfortable. Nice feel, but unusually looooooooog.

I agree Dave,.. a bit long but very playable key feel wise ...
But just wanted to make Fran happy.. eek

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
just wanted to make Fran happy.. eek

Did Fran catch you in the act of murdering somebody? Curious minds want to know.

smile

chas
Posted by: 124

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 11:19 AM

C'mon, we all know how to make Fran happy, should you need. Just swear your devotion to Roland. smile
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Exactly the same size as a real piano.. You are use to your toys.. grin
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Dnj

Exactly the same size as a real piano.. You are use to your toys.. grin

Yup - haven’t had an acoustic piano in ages.
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 01:56 PM

My Great Great Great grandfather was a famous inventor and he invented the "crack" which made playing the piano so much easier....

I though my plumber invented it...

Re: Yamaha keysize - 10/29/19 03:01 PM

Who'd have guessed you could smoke it.