The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature

Posted by: montunoman

The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/12/19 04:57 AM

I thought this was really interesting!

Posted by: montunoman

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/14/19 08:09 AM

So no one wants to discuss anything that doesn’t pertain to new gear? I thought we had a few song writers and composers who would maybe find this interesting but apparently not. No offense taken, this is an arranger forum so perhaps this video clip too off topic to post?
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/14/19 09:29 AM

Off topic or not, it was quite interesting ... While the 'inspiration' for the song wasn't very unique - how many songs have started out with a personal experience? - millions?, more interesting to me was the 'accidental' way it got Quincy Jones' attention ...
I can't help but wonder if Porcaro subconsciously thought "hey, if I put the grooves on the other side of the tape, maybe they will hear it" ... ?
Either way, it was a lucky break ...
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/14/19 09:41 AM

montunoman. Thank you...Well Done for sharing.
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/14/19 12:51 PM

I found it very interesting... sorry I'm late but I've been out of town visiting relatives and celebrating Columbus Day. From my perspective, real world songwriting for those of us at or near the bottom of the pyramid, it is nearly impossible to find a way to get our songs into the hands of people who really count big in the Biz. No complaints, that's just the way it is.

Once a reputation is established, your name is "on the list" of those with capability, reliability, talent and discretion.

It seems as though 1000 songwriters appear "out of the woodwork" every day... and about the same number "call it quits."

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear something not totally related to new gear. If I were as successful as the subject songwriter, I could buy a new arranger each year... but it isn't in the cards. LOL!

All my best, ----Dave
Posted by: saxxman

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/14/19 02:35 PM

Great story and a great song too! I play it on every gig. Thanks for posting - had no idea what was behind this song til now... wink Thanks again!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/14/19 03:57 PM

Really enjoyed it thank you
Posted by: jingleman

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/14/19 04:29 PM

Always loved the”Toto” story. Studio cats who came together and produced one of my favorite albums...TOTO 4. Too bad Steve’s brother and Toto drummer Jeff, died from some type of aneurism back in his 30’s.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: The Story Behind M.J.’s Human Nature - 10/16/19 06:24 AM