Drummer Buddy Rich

Posted by: bruno123

Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 01:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67-LyG6JBY

Watching the second part of this video
I could not stop thinking of Don M.

Don, these are not my views, but I could not resist.
John C.

PS, this guy can really play drums – and he also is top shelf arrogance.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 02:48 PM

Music is about expressing emotion in many forms. If done at a high level it can transmit feeling and depth with two chords or a Beethoven Sonata. I like all music "if its done well" but these days a lot of it is done poorly. Its all about the $$$.

Buddy was as well known for his arrogance and temper as much as his fantastic playing.
Look up the famous "Bus tapes" and think if you were in that band would it be worth the abuse. Saw him fire a sax player who missed the band bus but drove himself to the gig and was well on time. Ended the show by throwing the sticks down and saying
"Thats it " because he didn't like the spotlight on him.
Great band, their arrangement of "Westside Story" is a classic
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 03:49 PM

He sure was a great drummer and very opinionated. He didn't think Chet Atkins was very good, but not many agree with that. I had a good laugh over the bus tapes some time back. smile
Posted by: DonM

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By bruno123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67-LyG6JBY

Watching the second part of this video
I could not stop thinking of Don M.

Don, these are not my views, but I could not resist.
John C.

PS, this guy can really play drums – and he also is top shelf arrogance.

I don't see how that could you remind you of me. I try not to put down anybody's choice of music, even if I don't play it or like it particularly. And, I do various kinds of music, not just country. And Chet Atkins could buy and sell this guy a hundred times over.
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 08:15 PM

One thing for certain... Don Mason does not possess one shred of arrogance in his entire being. He has the talent to go in that direction... but it is not in his DNA. Just my thoughts based on how generously you have inter-acted with me over the years. I am better because you cared enough to share your wisdom and talent.

----Dave

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 08:49 PM

Thanks Dave, but I don't believe for a second that John meant anything like that!
Posted by: 124

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 09:53 PM

And that remark casts you as the gentleman you clearly are, Don.

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 10:21 PM

Wow, I was trying to play funny with country music, and Don M. came to mind. My post was not meant to touch my friend’s personality, I love the guy.

Why would anyone think I would speak badly about Don M.?

This forum is starting to get negative; there are people changing statements into attacks, instead of what they were meant to be.

John C.

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/29/19 10:36 PM

I knew what you meant John! Just a misunderstanding of words. Happens in the best of families! I didn't exactly word my response like I meant it, now that I read it again.
Love you my friend, and Dave the Rice Man as well!
And thanks 124 too. I have a lot of people fooled around here. smile smile
Still don't like Buddy Rich much though.
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/30/19 06:31 AM

Never meant to get "snarky" John... you are free and welcome to "poke fun" at Mason any time... and I will be happy to heap on a couple aimed at our stalwart Deputy of Benton. LOL! My sincere apology to you is here for all to see... and I mean it from the heart.

---Dave

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/30/19 06:34 AM

And Dave, I don’t doubt that for one minute.

John C.
Posted by: 124

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/30/19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
I knew what you meant John! Just a misunderstanding of words. Happens in the best of families! I didn't exactly word my response like I meant it, now that I read it again.
Love you my friend, and Dave the Rice Man as well!
And thanks 124 too. I have a lot of people fooled around here. smile smile
Still don't like Buddy Rich much though.

rotfl
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/30/19 03:56 PM

I'm all for self-confidence, but Buddy was wrong about Chet-one of the most influential players of all time. Buddy was the king of the drums and the profane rant though.
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: Drummer Buddy Rich - 09/30/19 06:00 PM

drummers are people who like to hang out with musicians.

Jazz drummers are people who believe that because they have hung out with musicians they know more about music then any one else.