Sx900 marketing strategy???

Posted by: Dnj

Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 06:00 AM

Does it do any justice to release in other countries before
the US and Europe. Having all these good/bad demos floating around after the initial Martin Harris official demos? with such a time gap leaving perspective buyers in the dark wondering while other manufacturers might still jump in the pool soon also?
What is Yamaha target and selling strategy with the Sx900.
Personally I was hyped but now I am hesitant and will
stand back with a wait and see attitude.
Is it just an S975 with a touch screen
and some revo drums & song-list features, etc?...
This time I wont be fooled but will take a buyer beware stance for now. Hope I 'm wrong...we'll see..

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 07:54 AM

Thoughts?
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 08:30 AM

Donny, As you’ve stated before...we’ll have to wait and see when it gets in the hands of US users. I personally believe that Yamaha could ill afford to release a new psr product that didn’t set itself apart from the psr’s of the past. Just from the screen shots...the operating system seems to be a major upgrade.

I’m hopeful,
JM

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny, As you’ve stated before...we’ll have to wait and see when it gets in the hands of US users. I personally believe that Yamaha could ill afford to release a new psr product that didn’t set itself apart from the psr’s of the past. Just from the screen shots...the operating system seems to be a major upgrade.

I’m hopeful,
JM

That could be correct, ....and I'm sure Yamaha already has R&D designs ready to go or in progress for SX900,901,902,903, & Genos 2,3,4,5 it is inevitable and the way they have always led buyers on with incremental feature upgrades... this new wave will be no different in the coming years...choose wisely.
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 09:10 AM

Puzzles me that...Players are ordering unseen !!!
Would you have married your wife UNSEEN ???
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By Graham UK
Puzzles me that...Players are ordering unseen !!!
Would you have married your wife UNSEEN ???

+1. And LOL 😂
Posted by: saxxman

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 09:18 AM

Not sure why Yammie floods them into the Eastern countries first... has anyone seen a chart depicting # of arranger users per country?

No argument that the flood of (non-English) demos sometimes adds confusion and forces us to wait for more revealing information/demos.

For me, the addition of the touch screen, and 3rd voice in right hand are a huge plus. May not have the SA2 voices, but being able to combine 3 voices versus 2 on the current PSRs would be great. The chord looper is new and not available on the Genos. Also, the assignable buttons (6) of them may be of great utility (though haven't seen too much on them yet). Also not sure (yet) regarding the touted improvements in sound dispersion from the speakers... change in the pitch wheels seems to facilitate a little better control of inflection.

Considering the added upgrades and the price difference between the SX900 and Genos, for an S970 user, the new board would be a great "trade up".

Now, if I can just get the "Deadbeat bidder" who "bought" my S970 to pay. Looks like I'm going to have to relist it now....

I, too, am hopeful!

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 09:29 AM

Originally Posted By saxxman
Not sure why Yammie floods them into the Eastern countries first... has anyone seen a chart depicting # of arranger users per country?

No argument that the flood of (non-English) demos sometimes adds confusion and forces us to wait for more revealing information/demos.

For me, the addition of the touch screen, and 3rd voice in right hand are a huge plus. May not have the SA2 voices, but being able to combine 3 voices versus 2 on the current PSRs would be great. The chord looper is new and not available on the Genos. Also, the assignable buttons (6) of them may be of great utility (though haven't seen too much on them yet). Also not sure (yet) regarding the touted improvements in sound dispersion from the speakers... change in the pitch wheels seems to facilitate a little better control of inflection.

Considering the added upgrades and the price difference between the SX900 and Genos, for an S970 user, the new board would be a great "trade up".

Now, if I can just get the "Deadbeat bidder" who "bought" my S970 to pay. Looks like I'm going to have to relist it now....

I, too, am hopeful!

and most will always have too play in stereo with two external speakers outside the home /Nh, gigs, etc,.. to achieve a quality sound as heard in MH demos...otherwise many sonic attributes will be lost.

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 09:52 AM

You are right Donny, but for me, not really interested in gigging w/the board. More interested in home use and my own enjoyment/recordings. Wouldn't most boards have similar issues with respect to stereo speakers versus mono at gigs? Even the Genos/PA4X?

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By saxxman
You are right Donny, but for me, not really interested in gigging w/the board. More interested in home use and my own enjoyment/recordings. Wouldn't most boards have similar issues with respect to stereo speakers versus mono at gigs? Even the Genos/PA4X?

Possibly.... but past accounts have always been the
stereo phase loss, FX, etc, with many Yamaha sounds and FX..
I always play in stereo I deserve it, and so does anyone listening.

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 10:11 AM

Totally agree Donny! I love playing the board w/headphones and love the recordings I get via the Mixcraft software from the stereo boards.

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 10:26 AM

One thing to be cautious of when creating or adjusting styles, always check in mono. If you add too many FX or similar sounds, you can end up with phase cancellation. I’m sure Yamaha checks their mono output to avoid to much cancellation. If you get your settings to sound good in mono...it will sound great in stereo.
JM
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/20/19 10:48 PM

Hi Donny,
it is a bit annoying that the release date isn’t the same around the world.
Really bad demos might put some off.
Appears to have some great new features that my s950 certainly hasn’t got.
Pretty sure it should sound better than my s950 , sound quality doesn’t usually get worse on upgraded models.
Scenario of, sorry darling, I just made you take me for a 7 hr drive and I’m not sure if I like it or not, can we do it again next week, so I can be certain. Don’t think would go down too well. Safer to order it, and rely on one instincts that it should be better than what I’ve already got. Haha

I think we’re getting pre release jitters and doing a bit of a dummy spit coz everyone else is getting theirs first. Not Fair. Haha

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 05:35 AM

or maybe people are waiting to get the sx900 cheaper when people start to dump them quick after they realize it's just a touch screened, revoed s975..... I hope not confused1

PS and why didn't they include a TILT UP Display
with the touch screen too..... mad

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
I think we’re getting pre release jitters and doing a bit of a dummy spit coz everyone else is getting theirs first. Not Fair. Haha

Donny, I think Rikki is right. It’s always a little nerve racking when one has to wait to try out a new keyboard. Especially after they’ve already bought it. But like you’ve said before...”it’s only plastic with keys”. I’m sure if you don’t like it...they’ll be plenty of people interested in taking it off your hands. Korg will have something new before to long...and there’s always Ketron. Hang in there buddy...I have feeling you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
JM

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears

Donny, I think Rikki is right. It’s always a little nerve racking when one has to wait to try out a new keyboard. Especially after they’ve already bought it. But like you’ve said before...”it’s only plastic with keys”. I’m sure if you don’t like it...they’ll be plenty of people interested in taking it off your hands. Korg will have something new before to long...and there’s always Ketron. Hang in there buddy...I have feeling you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
JM

Maybe your right,....but like I said I have now suspended
my pre-order for now after watching these REAL demos,...I'm in no rush....Yes there many choices,....a little birdie got in my ear for the release of a new Roland & Korg arrangers coming, and I still want to play the Ketron SD9 at Prince AJs lab soon also. Although not an arranger KB The Roland FA07 & New Fantom are impressive also.
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 08:23 AM

Doesn't the sd60 have all the features of the sd9 without the extra keys?
No tilt screen on either. Korg seems to be only option there on current models..pa1000 with sd1000 combo would get all physical options and premium sounds with compact add on.

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By sparky589
Doesn't the sd60 have all the features of the sd9 without the extra keys?
No tilt screen on either. Korg seems to be only option there on current models..pa1000 with sd1000 combo would get all physical options and premium sounds with compact add on.

launch pad? and other stuff I am not sure at this time ...
Prince AJ will give me the full tour when I see him at the lab..
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 08:51 AM

Let us know..sd60 has launch pad, same w sd90 and sd9.

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By sparky589
Let us know..sd60 has launch pad, same w sd90 and sd9.

Well then if they are the same it's a matter
of key size choice...personally I like 61.

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
or maybe people are waiting to get the sx900 cheaper when people start to dump them quick after they realize it's just a touch screened, revoed s975..... I hope not confused1

PS and why didn't they include a TILT UP Display
with the touch screen too..... mad

Hi Donny,
I think some people may, but I genuinely wanted to to upgrade, my psrs950 must be well over 5 years old.

Btw, just in case you haven’t been over to Yammie forum, at least a couple of the members have had a chance to play one. I think Eileen May have hers already, she is in the UK, I think.

Re: Sx900 marketing strategy??? - 09/21/19 02:50 PM

I’m sure if you don’t like it...they’ll be plenty of people interested in taking it off your hands. Korg will have something new before to long...and there’s always Ketron. Hang in there buddy...I have feeling you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
JM

Must admit I was finding it quite interesting the number of brand new PA4x’s for sale on eBay in the last few weeks. Admittedly I wasn’t checking eBay before that, so might have been going on for a while, but just seemed a tad odd, almost like they were dumping them.
Might have just sold mine at the right time. Maybe there is a new PA5x ? In the pipeline.
Doesn’t seem likely as they just had a major update. Who knows.

Funny enough, I think it happened to me before, Talked hubby into letting me buy psrs950 ( they’d already been out for a year or 2) few weeks later the PA3x arrived.
Psr sat unused till a couple of months ago, I realised I actually enjoyed playing it.