SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play

Posted by: Saswick

SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/19/19 09:20 AM

Hi Guys

Just got a couple of new toys a SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play. I sold my PA1000 and as I already have a M-Audio key station 49Es my keyboard set up will be the same as Deane(Hammer), super light.

I now intend to use my Guitar/SD40/ Triple Play instead of Backing Tracks. The only catch up to now (4 hrs in) is having the ability to play chords on the guitar very cleanly, the harmonizer works OK to.

This module is a real Swiss Army knife. Regarding the triple Play I just changed the Triple Play midi output from Mono to Poly plugged it into SD40 (Midi Host) and bingo the sd40 recognised it straight away.

I don't intend to use the SD40 guitars just my Strat copy a Cort G260 OPN plugged into the Guitar input on the SD40 which has a full set of Guitar effects built in.

Keep you posted.

Col
Posted by: Dnj

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/19/19 09:32 AM

Great news Col....good luck with your new rig sounds like a winner.
SD40 is becoming the unit of choice among arranger players
....it sounds amazing & gives you so much flexibility to choose whatever controller,
keybed, you like or use a guitar, etc, etc,
to play styles, smf, mp3's, etc,. ... cool2
Posted by: jingleman

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/19/19 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By Saswick
The only catch up to now (4 hrs in) is having the ability to play chords on the guitar very cleanly, the harmonizer works OK to.

Col: were you able to get the triple play to play chords cleanly? How is the latency with the triple play? I’m seriously looking into the triple play as opposed to the Roland route.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks,
jingleman

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/19/19 03:08 PM

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/19/19 05:59 PM

Donny, that’s a pretty good demo of what the triple play can do. Thanks for sharing!
JM

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/19/19 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny, that’s a pretty good demo of what the triple play can do. Thanks for sharing!
JM

Very Kool... Guitar players could have lots of fun with it for sure!

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 12:03 AM

Progress report for Jingleman and other interested folk.

Up to now I'm very pleased. I originally intended to use the guitar input with the onboard effects however since I adjusted the string sensitivity using the triple play software I have changed my mind and I'm using the onboard sounds. This method obviously gives you more freedom, no guitar cables.

Regarding the wireless dongle, I plugged it straight into the SD40 which recognised the Triple Play immediately no need for any computer or interface. As far as tracking is concerned providing your guitar playing is reasonable the chords are followed well.

I hadn't been playing the guitar for quite a while so I had to sharpen up on my playing but I'm improving after a couple of days practice.

As far as the SD40 is concerned you have to use the Pianist mode, set the octave transpose up one to match the guitar.

The onboard guitars actually sound like guitars not like a keyboard player trying to emulate a guitarist.

Proper guitar strumming and string bends no need for joysticks or aftertouch guitar

Regards, Col

Posted by: Bernie9

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 12:36 AM

What is the purpose of the attached screen?

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 12:57 AM

Morning Bernie

At the moment I use it for displaying lyrics and if necessary for playing my backing tracks, a backup system, Lyric writer pro, scrolls lyric and plays tracks.

Not got into displaying lyrics on the SD40 yet only 4 days old, been concentrating on the Fishman etc.

Regards, Col
Posted by: bruno123

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 02:48 AM

Hi Col, I am familiar with Triple Play. About 30 years ago I used my guitar, with a midi connection into my Yamaha keyboard. The single string was delayed a bit, the chords driving the keyboard worked well. I would sing and strum the guitar, and the keyboard followed my guitar chords. A full band, my guitar, and my voice, great.

I stopped using the set up because I had no freedom with playing lead with my guitar. If you are not using backing tracks how are you able to play chords and solo with the guitar?

John C.

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 03:13 AM

Hi John

With difficulty grin

Seriously I spent most of my life playing rhythm guitar or bass and singing harmony. I'll have to practice my "chord melody" playing or rely on fills and hope my singing is good enough to carry me through.

The latency seems very good so there isn't a noticeable delay when playing single strings. The SD40 only recognises chords with three notes so it's possible if you are a decent guitarist to play lead using three string chords and single strings guitar

Regards, Col
Posted by: bruno123

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 03:36 AM

Col, I love what you are doing – it is part of enjoying music, nice. The only thing that bugs me about your post is that I am getting interested again. (smile)

I do play many of my guitar solos with three or more notes. I loved playing a slow song and hearing my guitar with a string background, it adds a lot.

Col, thanks for the post, if you need any help with your guitar let me know.
John C.

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 03:50 AM

Cheer's John

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 06:07 AM

Col good luck with your new setup...
I know you will get it right soon. cool2

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 06:40 AM

Col: Does the sd card loaded in your sd40 contain backing tracks only...or are there additional styles loaded as well?
JM
Posted by: DonM

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 08:32 AM

In full keyboard mode, you can set the SD40 to NOT change chords as long as the sustain pedal is depressed. Maybe it would work the same with the guitar?
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By DonM
In full keyboard mode, you can set the SD40 to NOT change chords as long as the sustain pedal is depressed. Maybe it would work the same with the guitar?

Roland's RA series modules used to do this. You could play a chord, hit the sustain pedal, then solo over it till you release the pedal. Very cool for a guitarist.

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 09:01 AM

JM - Regarding the SD card, nothing on it at the moment, I bought the SD40 from Ketron UK who have supplied me with a Customer loyalty memory stick with 350 addition styles (a few of which are duplicates) to load them into the SD40 you connect the unit to a computer then copy the styles into the appropriate folder, ballad, country etc. on the SD40.

I have played a few backing tracks from a memory stick just to try it, long way to go yet regarding playlists etc.

Don - I read about the sustain pedal function in the manual but haven't tried it yet, if your guitar technic is good enough I think you should be able to manage without it however, I'll give it a try.

I have a lot of work to do on my guitar playing. The system has great potential but it's going to take time. Hope I have enough smile

Having used Korg equipment for so long it's a bit of a culture shock using Ketron gear, I didn't know what a registration was till yesterday grin

PS: The photo shows the last time I played guitar seriously so you can understand why I'm a little rusty.

Regards to all, Col

Posted by: 124

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 09:34 AM

Hofner cutaways! Wow, long time, no see. smile

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/22/19 10:34 AM

Hi 124

Yeah, an Hofner Verithin, great guitar very light a pleasure to play, I bought it used for 50.00 quid and sold it about 12 years ago for 400.00. My mate had the matching Verithin bass very slick.

Happy day's grin

Regards, Col

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/24/19 12:01 AM

Hi AJ/Don

Regarding your post on the Ketron Forum about using the pianist mode.

I've just started using the SD40 and the Fishman Triple Play, I've found that with the pianist set to auto the SD40 recognises three string chords and allows you to solo using one or two strings, if you set the pianist to standard then the chord changes every time you play a single string. The auto setting also works very well without using a sustain pedal.

Hope this helps, I'm really enjoying the SD40 and my guitar playing is improving day by day.

PS: The string sensitivity on the Triple Play needs adjusting to suite your style of playing, this is a simple operation using the Triple Play software.

Kind Regards, Col

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/24/19 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By Saswick

PS: The string sensitivity on the Triple Play needs adjusting to suite your style of playing, this is a simple operation using the Triple Play software

For string pads, and slower passages, the sound source isn't that important, but for the best tracking, you really need to use the dedicated software that Fishman provides, directly into a computer. Tracking is much improved this way.
BTW - I have a Godin Montreal Triple Play ... awesome guitar in every way. I can route the Piezo saddle pickup to the PA, hum buckers to a guitar amp, and the wireless midi signal to the sound source (kb/computer, etc) ... spacious, and lush. Best all around instrument I own, but too heavy to wear all night long, so I save it for studio use. My main guitars (FrankenSTRAT, Taylor T%z) for work are each under 5 lbs, and lemme tell ya ... it's much appreciated after 3-4 hours.

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/24/19 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
BTW - I have a Godin Montreal Triple Play ... awesome guitar in every way.

Dave, does Godin still make guitar models with the built in Fishman Triple Play? In checking the internet...it appears they don’t.
JM

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/24/19 08:10 PM

Hmmm ... not sure if they sti;l make them, but you can still buy them. Here's the one I have at Sweetwater:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...4gaApb8EALw_wcB

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/25/19 06:22 AM

Hmmm ... not sure if they sti;l make them, but you can still buy them. Here's the one I have at Sweetwater

Thanks Dave...Is this the one you said was heavy?
JM

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 06/25/19 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By jingleman
Hmmm ... not sure if they sti;l make them, but you can still buy them. Here's the one I have at Sweetwater

Thanks Dave...Is this the one you said was heavy?
JM

LOL ... yes, but mine is about 8lbs. That 3 lbs makes a difference over four hours on your feet. I know, I'm a woose - that's one reason I never had a Les Paul!
Posted by: kierc.0857

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 11/26/19 02:12 AM

Hi Col, just ordered the Fish man Triple play, Ive always used a midi system my guitar, this method seems amazing. No bulky floor unit, no tangle of wires!!. How have you been progressing since ?, what are you latest thoughts on your current setup.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 11/26/19 07:17 AM

Originally Posted By bruno123

I stopped using the set up because I had no freedom with playing lead with my guitar. If you are not using backing tracks how are you able to play chords and solo with the guitar?

John C.

Would some sort of looper work for that ?

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 11/26/19 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By bruno123
John C.

John you could always try it this way with your guitar ..
Posted by: Ketron_AJ

Re: SD40 and a Fishman Triple Play - 11/26/19 01:42 PM

We do have a "Looper" feature which we will be demonstrating soon!

Thanks,

AJ