This old guy can sing!

Posted by: jingleman

This old guy can sing! - 05/13/19 04:43 PM

I hope you find this as enjoyable as I did.

JM

https://youtu.be/KLR7zBJXbpo
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/13/19 05:45 PM

Proving that you can't believe what you are hearing, did anyone read where he said he actually sang this 7 semitones lower, and then it was pitched up to sound like it does? ...
I would have liked to hear his original recording ...

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/13/19 05:55 PM

I heard him say he cheated, but not how. He has a bunch of other covers on YouTube as well. I’ll have to check them out.

Wonder what voice transposer he is using...it sounds pretty darn good if he’s transposing it 7 half steps.

JM

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/13/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By jingleman

Wonder what voice transposer he is using...it sounds pretty darn good if he’s transposing it 7 half steps.
JM

I was thinking the same thing ...
Posted by: Dnj

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/14/19 05:16 AM

http://www.sherv.net/open.mouth-emoticon-1695.html

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/14/19 07:03 AM

It appears, after doing some research, that the dude can sing...actually quite well. He does a number of karaoke covers with some sung in a lower register.

Unfortunately, his credibility becomes questionable when he admits to cheating... As Donny so poignantly pointed out.

JM

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/14/19 08:33 AM

Well, at least this guy admitted it from the outset ...

But he would have had more credibility if he had said something like "I'm going to show you what can be done with the So and So vocal transposer" ...

PS: He goes under the you tube name "Truth Surge" ... ironic !!!

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/14/19 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa

PS: He goes under the you tube name "Truth Surge" ... ironic !!!

Good call Tony🤥

JM
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/14/19 09:33 AM

We all use technology to sound better.

We use Vocal Harmony, equilization, reverb, transpose button, styles, backing tracks, midis...….etc.

I don't tell my audience that wasn't a real sax playing, and I had to transpose the song because the singer couldn't sing it in the original key, and that wasn't really me harmonizing with her, etc.

The guy did a great job, was upfront. His mistake was using the word "cheating". He can sing the song, but not in the original key.

He did a great job using "the tools".

With social media people just look for things to criticize.

You got to accentuate the positive. Eliminate the negative. dancers

Jerryghr

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/14/19 10:44 AM

Thanks for your insight Jerry. It’s easy to become cynical in this high tech world we live in.
The fact that this guy puts himself out there and has a following on YouTube says something.

JM

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/14/19 02:19 PM

Jerry, all good comments ...
Obviously he used the word 'cheating' because what we were hearing weren't the sounds that actually came out of his mouth - but as I said, he was upfront with it, even explaining on the you tube site that his voice was transposed up 7 half tones ...

As for singing in original keys, I could probably count the songs where I can do that ... BUT, what the audience hears is exactly (good or bad) what is coming out of my mouth ...

And, yes, we use ALL the tools ...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/15/19 12:18 PM

I used every tool at my disposal while working on stage, though I never used a vocal transposer. Instead, I transposed the keyboard to chords that fit my limited vocal range. And, like most vocalist, I used effects such as reverb, etc... to enhance my vocal quality. I never told anyone in the audience that I did these things, so in a way, I guess I cheated a bit. Way back when, a time when I was a have guitar will travel guy, I didn't have any of these nice things we had today, but I was still able to make a few bucks on stage while singing country songs to the ladies and strumming my 12-string Yamaha guitar. Yamaha makes some incredible musical instruments, guitars, grand pianos, saxes, you name it, they make it. They also make a damned good outboard motor - had three of them and they never failed me.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/15/19 12:30 PM

I just found a slew of vids this guy posted, his normal voice is relatively high, much higher than mine. Check out his guitar playing talents.

Gary cool
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/15/19 12:34 PM

I can play in all twelve keys if needed but I do use the Transposer for my editied SMF's and when I use a Style I re-write the song into a key thats comfortable for me. Rarely do I do original keys.
Many big name acts change the keys of their songs live to save their voices when doing many shows. What you can do at 10 PM at night, fully loose and warmed up in the studio is sometimes very hard to emulate live.
Not cheating if you can sing well but just don't have the natural voice to cover certain high parts.
As long as it comes out well no one cares.

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/15/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Check out his guitar playing

Gary, his down home good ol’ boy style does add an element of interest. He certainly seems to have talent as his singing and guitar playing show. Even though he sang the initial demo in a lower key...I did not notice any pitch correction going on.
JM

Re: This old guy can sing! - 05/15/19 07:15 PM

Bill ... I also rarely sing in the original key, but rather than use the transposer button, I too prefer to transpose the chords to my key ... If I'm working with someone else, I don't want to make the mistake of calling the wrong key if I'm playing using the transposer button ...