Looking for Suzie Q style

Posted by: Scott Langholff

Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 12:47 AM

Looking for Suzie Q style with the well known riff for Tyros/PSR. I tried making that style one time and never came close.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 08:05 AM

It probably doesn't exist. The riff is not terribly complicated though. I was lucky enough to play and sing the song many times with the guy who invented the riff, James Burton. I recorded him playing it with me, and practiced it over and over. Never got it exactly right, but close.
Love to hear it if you can find one.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 08:24 AM

Scott, have you tried looking up an mp3 or midi file to learn the riff and then incorporate it into a style?
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 09:37 AM

Here is Don's friend doing his thing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PpwtM8B95w

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 09:52 AM

Actually it's one of the simplest songs he does, but everything is tasteful and exactly right whether it's country, rock, blues, standards...he can play anything and invented a lot of it.
Saw him at a funeral of a mutual friend recently and we talked a while. He is spending a lot of time in Europe doing such shows as this. He also sponsors a giant guitar show each year and has his own guitar museum here in town.

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 10:15 AM

I once heard - I believe it was on Sirius radio - three versions of Besame Mucho one by Elvis, one by Ricky Nelson, and I believe one was an instrumental, all with a Jimmy Burton guitar solo ... the solos were all fairly similar as I recall, yet each one different ...

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 10:39 AM

Back to the OP:
Scott, maybe this could help?

http://www.midi-karaoke.info/20dce339.html

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 10:58 AM

Scott,
I found a pretty good one on Createsongstyles.com More the Credence version but the riff is there.
I went to Yamaha Styles section and searched for "Susie" and a page came up with the style, midi files, charts, etc.
There is a cost to join, but a money back guarantee if you don't think it's worth it. Ron is super! It has repaid me many times over.
http://createsongstyles.com/index.php?board=3.0

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 11:18 AM

I was just fooling around a little with my Roland and a style called "Latin Rock" is just about perfect for it. Probably something similar on Yamaha.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 12:49 PM

Maybe one of these SMF's can help you..

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Scott, have you tried looking up an mp3 or midi file to learn the riff and then incorporate it into a style?

I know the riff and tried adding to a style where everything else was perfect. Only thing in using the style creator it never came out right. At the time I asked Ian Mcnll for advice and he said that Yamaha has some kind of weird way that styles are made and he didn't know what it was.

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 12:58 PM

Thanks, guys.
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: Looking for Suzie Q style - 01/21/19 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
It probably doesn't exist. The riff is not terribly complicated though. I was lucky enough to play and sing the song many times with the guy who invented the riff, James Burton. I recorded him playing it with me, and practiced it over and over. Never got it exactly right, but close.
Love to hear it if you can find one.

Marvelous guitar player, enjoyed his work with Elvis and on the Wildlife Concert with John Denver. Lucky you Don!