God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Posted by: IMMusic_Curt

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/10/18 03:56 PM

Staying with the Jazz Trio arrangements for now. This one starts off with a just piano solo. The bass player and drummer come in around 1:40 or so.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/immusic/god-rest-ye-merry-gentlemen
Posted by: cgiles

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/10/18 07:37 PM

Good stuff. Really enjoyed it. All the instruments sounded totally acoustic. Nice work with the brushes. My kind of music, wish I were more proficient at playing it (piano jazz).

chas
Posted by: DonM

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/10/18 08:36 PM

Outstanding!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 05:39 AM

clap
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 07:15 AM

Very classy, my style of music to listen to. Nice voicings!
Posted by: sparky589

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 09:00 AM

Very cool..
Posted by: Dnj

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 10:10 AM

Would you like to share your recording process with us..?
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 10:52 AM

Curt ... That's a really nice job ... Keep 'em coming and I will have a nice Christmas Jazz CD ...
Thank you
Posted by: montunoman

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 10:59 AM

Top notch stuff Curt!
Posted by: SAM CA

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 02:29 PM

Enjoyed listening to it. Good job!
Posted by: bruno123

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/11/18 03:30 PM

Curt, feeling, voicing, it's got it all. Beautiful, John C.

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/12/18 10:16 AM

Tony - Just put another one up you can add to your collection - Enjoy!

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/12/18 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Would you like to share your recording process with us..?

First - By now most of you probably know that we are much more DAW based vs. Arranger based. From time to time we do work with styles, but for the most part, we tend to record all of our arrangements one track one at a time. Perhaps we should be posting in the MIDI sequence forum but it appears to be lightly used while this forum is pretty active and as keyboard players, we enjoy making and sharing music regardless of make, model, etc. just like all of you.

Although we have now switched to Logic this series of tunes was recorded way back in 2011 using Calkwalk Sonar and all VST instruments. However, I did convert these files from Sonar to Logic in 2017 and switched the piano track and bass line over to a newer VST's that we now work with. The piano track is using the Hammersmith Piano from Soniccouture --> (http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/26-percussion/g49-the-hammersmith/) The percussion track(s) are still using Session Drummer 3 which was included with Cakewalk Sonar a few years back, and the bass track is using the Upright Bass from Kontakt.

When we did our Ketron SDxx demo videos a few months back, I mentioned that we are very fortunate to be able to work with an incredibly talented musician to record the tracks.

No MIDI or studio tricks - What you hear, Ric played live. We do apply some audio EQ, Reverb or Panning effects but pretty much what you hear is one hell of a keyboard player.

Stay tuned - Coming soon we will upload a few Christmas tunes all recorded on a Roland Fantom G7 for those that are Roland fans...
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/12/18 11:07 AM

Curt ... Thank you, once again ...

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/12/18 12:21 PM

Yeah, anxious to hear that as I have a Fantom G7 in my arsenal. I've only used the piano voice for recording and although I love the feel of the keybed, I never thought the actual voice was any better than the one in my BK7m and only slightly better than my SonicCell or VP770. Certainly not as good as the VST's in your last music posting. Interesting. JMO, though.

chas
Posted by: jingleman

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/12/18 04:45 PM

Sounds great Curt. Have you ever multitracked a Ketron keyboard or module to Logic?
Do you think the sounds would stack up against your VST’s?

jingleman

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/13/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By jingleman
Sounds great Curt. Have you ever multitracked a Ketron keyboard or module to Logic?
Do you think the sounds would stack up against your VST’s?

jingleman

Yep! Here's a short video showing a few bars of each track being recorded. In this case, we were using an SD90. The final arrangement came out sounding pretty good but not quite as nice as the original version which was done on VST's.
https://youtu.be/sL4m-dDA3sQ

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/13/18 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By cgiles
Yeah, anxious to hear that as I have a Fantom G7 in my arsenal. I've only used the piano voice for recording and although I love the feel of the keybed, I never thought the actual voice was any better than the one in my BK7m and only slightly better than my SonicCell or VP770. Certainly not as good as the VST's in your last music posting. Interesting. JMO, though.

chas

Chas - Check out this post to hear something we did on the Fantom and the same tune done with the VST's in a Jazz styling.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/463037/We_Three_Kings_-_Two_Versions#Post463037

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/13/18 02:42 PM

Thanks. Always happy to see the potential of a keyboard I own. It usually inspires me to dust it off and get re-interested. Sounds really good in hands of a real professional. I always regretted getting it instead of the Kronos I REALLY wanted...but then, as Paul always says, it ain't the keyboard, it's the keyboardist.

chas
Posted by: Torch

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/13/18 03:42 PM

Curt, for some reasons X-Mas tunes sound better in a Jazz style, or Jazz music sounds better with X-Mas tunes! Great work.

Re: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - 12/14/18 05:18 AM

100% agree. For my money, I prefer the Jazz arrangements.