Tablet

Posted by: guitpic1

Tablet - 11/24/18 08:19 AM

What’s the latest recommendation on a tablet or iPad that folks like?
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 09:40 AM

I think it would depend on what you want to use it for, but I recommend this:
https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-Featuring-Android-Marshmallow-Operating/dp/B01GDBMJ7G
Posted by: Impuls

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 10:52 AM

Fore sure the I-Pad , there are several Apps for Yamaha and other brands who works great .

Impuls
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 11:09 AM

Anything that does not require Apple or Microsoft! LOL!
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 11:52 AM

If you want to do anything music related other then sheetmusic reading..
An apple ipad is your ownly option..

All programs i use never where released for android, and therenis not really much of that professional level
Next to that android has latency problems for realtime music making..

Cubasis
Beatmaker 3
korg gadget
Garageband
Reason
Impc
Audiobus3
Etc, etc.. only available at ipad..

Also many Apps for edditing Roland and Yamaha onstruments are ipad only..

Ipad also has a standard (AU units) for plugin instruments..
And as said realtime processing..
The ipad is a pro tool.. rivalising the latest windows pc/tablets

Apple has learned from the past’where it lost to microsoft 3 decades ago because of software availabillity
Thats where they rule now... professional music apps are mostly ipad only
For several reasons.. stabillity... development set.. generic hardware... anti piracy on ios.

Android is mostly found in low end tablets which are nothing more then meant to play an mp3, watch netflix or browse the web
Or, read sheet music..

There is a reason ipad currently makes 80% of all tablet sales..
Android is mostly concentrating on mobile phones..

Posted by: Dnj

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 12:26 PM

IMO for a live gigging KB pro player nothing beats a good
TOTL Windows Laptop, ....
Especially for searching files, songs etc,!
For my needs much more flexibility on stage in so many ways tablets are a hindrance for me cool2
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 01:03 PM

I’m with Donny. A Windows based laptop or Surface Pro tablet will give you the most flexibility for decent recording software.

The iPad is really (which I have two of) a toy by comparison. Don’t get me wrong...I like the iPad, but it’s not designed for serious recording, if that’s what you want to accomplish.

jingleman

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 01:33 PM

Here is an example of a nice church organ including pistons on the ipad

Just one of many high end instruments available for a few dollar on the ipad..
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 07:09 PM

Here’s my 2 cents. I’m with TonyMads the Pro12 Tablet dollar for dollar is what I think is a great tool. I also use an iPad with unReal book and Songbook. the downside of the iPad is the price tag but it is a quality device.

Guitpic1 since you use a Genos you’ll find that the Songbook app(at this time only available for the iPad) can be programmed to pull up lead sheets from registrations and your lead sheet can allso be programmed to pull up the matching registration on the Genos. Note. The Songbook app is not to be confused with the Songbook built into the Korg PA series they are 2 different programs/features.

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 08:23 PM

And today using the Mobile Sheets Pro app that I use for my music sheets, I backed up my Pro 12 with a second Pro 12 and linked them as Server/Client. Any changes or additions I make to Mobile Sheets Pro on the Server will automatically be updated to the Client ... Great tool ...

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By jingleman
I’m with Donny. A Windows based laptop or Surface Pro tablet will give you the most flexibility for decent recording software.

The iPad is really (which I have two of) a toy by comparison. Don’t get me wrong...I like the iPad, but it’s not designed for serious recording, if that’s what you want to accomplish.

jingleman

I totally disagree with the ipad being a toy..
While PC's are more and better suited for indepth (studio) recordings.
Many of the ipad apps cover much more then just the basics of professional recording.

Where IPad currently blows away the PC platform, is in creativity. There are so many small creative tools that can all be combined trough audiobus 3, that as a creative platform the Ipad has passed the PC platform in many ways.

actually i am verry much surprised there isn't any arranger apps yet on the ipad. Because thats really the only thing i am missing.

Current Ipad pro has more processing power then an intel i7, its a real powerhouse. Espescially when connected to a keyboard that functions as uadio/usb interface.

The video shows how much variety the ipad apps have..
It turns the ipad in to one big Reason Daw where it comes to workflow..

Now thee are some things where i prefer the mac (not the pc)
I am currently in the process of upgrading my 2011 macbook pro to a 2018 Mac mini. Where i will use my ipad pro as the screen.. so i have everything in my setup controlled from a convenient ipad touchscreen.

The mac mini will be the ultimate sound module, running mainstage and my VST's all creativity will come from the ipad and its apps and be controlled from the kronos

I can understand your opinion about the PC, but that is mostly because of your traditional workflow. Which makes sense to you and for you, so no need to change anything, as it works for you.

I have been diving deep into the ipad lately, and been reading up on how the youth uses the ipad creatively. And i came to the conclusion that its incredibly flexible to do just about anything music related you want. But, the workflow is less efficient, because you will be using several things/apps all at the same time.

Re: Tablet - 11/24/18 10:55 PM

Needles to say, if you are not going to use the ipad as a creative tool
Nor need it for the many Ipad only apps and editors that come with todays instruments
(often PC/MAC/Android are not supported) for these apps

So for just sheet music reading and browsing the internet..
Get a cheep android tablet. Or even better, a used ipad air or something that still supports the latest version of IOS.
Then you don't need all the phantastic features these latest ipadss and their apps have to offer
Posted by: abacus

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 12:58 AM

Don’t get more than 8GB of Ram in your MAC Mini, as Apple (As usual) rip you off on Ram prices, (Like they do on everything else) which as the Ram is upgradable in the Mini, it is much cheaper to upgrade it yourself. (I would however recommend the i7 CPU & at least 512GB of storage)

It may also be worth waiting until next year, as the new MAC Pro (With proper upgradability) should be out next year.

If you want to save some money, you can build a Windows Desktop with the MAC Mini spec above (i7, 32GB Ram & 512GB Storage) for a less than £1000 (And everything is upgradable) compared to the £1500 of the MAC Mini.

If you are thinking of going for an iPad Pro, also look at the Microsoft Surface (The peripherals are also way superior and cheaper than the Apple equivalents) or a 2 in 1 Laptop.

One thing is certain; there is something out there for everybody.

Bill
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 03:50 AM

One more thing..........the iPad Pro. There are some great apps for working with photography that's another reason I own one. Adobe's Lightroom does a great job and soon to be released Photoshop for the iPad will give it even more power. But wait there's quite a few more apps for photography. There's nothing like being on a trip being able to wirelessly transfer photos from the wifi on my cameras to the ipad make post process adjustments then upload to the cloud for viewing and sharing with family and friends.

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By abacus
Don’t get more than 8GB of Ram in your MAC Mini, as Apple (As usual) rip you off on Ram prices, (Like they do on everything else) which as the Ram is upgradable in the Mini, it is much cheaper to upgrade it yourself. (I would however recommend the i7 CPU & at least 512GB of storage)

It may also be worth waiting until next year, as the new MAC Pro (With proper upgradability) should be out next year.

If you want to save some money, you can build a Windows Desktop with the MAC Mini spec above (i7, 32GB Ram & 512GB Storage) for a less than £1000 (And everything is upgradable) compared to the £1500 of the MAC Mini.

If you are thinking of going for an iPad Pro, also look at the Microsoft Surface (The peripherals are also way superior and cheaper than the Apple equivalents) or a 2 in 1 Laptop.

Bill

I know, there is 32GB memmory for €240 available, same quallity as apple delivers..
Same goes for the SSD, i am going to use an external SSD..

I allready own a 2017 ipad pro 12,7”

My wife owns a surfacebook, very nice quallity..

But where music is concerned, nothing beats an apple..
For several reasons..
Most important is that apple makes hardware an software itselves
And creating lagfree realtime music is a priority in their software
Everything build into the kernal..
Everything working right out of the box..
Both for IOS as for Mac..

I saw a comparisson lately comparing AU units on Mac vs VST performance on windows
The authentic AU units used 30% less processor power and 10% less memmory..

While most pro software is available on both mac and pc, my 2 most used programs are mainstage and logic, both are mac osx only. I could switch from logic to cubase.. but nothing compares to mainstage...

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus

Bill

I know, there is 32GB memmory for €240 available, same quallity as apple delivers..
Same goes for the SSD, i am going to use an external SSD..

I allready own a 2017 ipad pro 12,7”

I have no need for a mac pro, totall overkill unless you want to sequence 9- tracks loaded with sounds and effects. A mac mini is €1200(€2000 when upgraded with me, and 2TB SSD), a mac pro is €6000.. i am still using a 2011 macbook pro, which still holds its own when used wisely.

My wife owns a surfacebook, very nice quallity..

But where music is concerned, nothing beats an apple..
For several reasons..
Most important is that apple makes hardware an software itselves
And creating lagfree realtime music is a priority in their software
Everything build into the kernal..
Everything working right out of the box..
Both for IOS as for Mac..

I saw a comparisson lately comparing AU units on Mac vs VST performance on windows
The authentic AU units used 30% less processor power and 10% less memmory..

While most pro software is available on both mac and pc, my 2 most used programs are mainstage and logic, both are mac osx only. I could switch from logic to cubase.. but nothing compares to mainstage...

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 06:34 AM

Tx all. Very informative. Currently I have an iPad..basic. The battery no longer works.

About all I do now is copy lyrics off the internet via sd card to go on my Genos. I have a cheap laptop that has an sd slot for this. Since my iPad doesn’t have an SD slot, I don’t know how to use my iPad for this.

Other than that, my main use for a tablet is to surf the internet and visit with grandkids via FaceTme as they are Apple users....although they can also Skype.

It would be great to also use a tablet for an external monitor from time to time....don’t know how to do that but there are threads on this on the PSR Tutorial I think and they use an iPad for that.

The apps that Bachus talks about are interesting.

I would like a larger screen than I have now and if I went Apple, I probabably would go iPad Pro. On the windows side I would lean Microsoft Surface.

A couple more things; I do process pictures and Apple has the edge there.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy and I use the calendar on my Galaxy. Would love to transfer info from Galaxy calendar to the iPad. I tried Google calendar as the go between...doesn’t work well.

My other issue is my use of SD cards. No SD slot doesn’t make it easy on the iPad.

I have also thought of a two in one(screen detaches from keyboard and is a touch screen).

Tx again all. I’m still processing all of this. I could have written all this first but your responses got me thinking of other options.

Tx again.
Posted by: zionip

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By guitpic1

It would be great to also use a tablet for an external monitor from time to time....don’t know how to do that but there are threads on this on the PSR Tutorial I think and they use an iPad for that.

If you are talking about using an iPad Pro 12.9 as an external monitor for Windows or Mac OS X computers, you can buy the inexpensive Duet Display app for it - I bought the basic one to avoid paying yearly fee. You will have to download a piece of Duet Display desktop software to run on your computer to allow for the display connection.
https://www.duetdisplay.com/

If you are talking about using iPad Pro 12.9 as an external monitor for Genos, the answer is yes, but fairly expensive.

The cheapest way of feeding HDMI signal to iPad/iPad Pro is Came-TV Wireless HD Video Kit Crystal-800 at close to $700:
https://www.came-tv.com/collections/wireless-hd-transmitter/products/came-tv-wireless-hd-video-kit

Youtube video showing how it works (you can feed the Genos USB 2.0 external display adapter HDMI signal to the transmitter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Pi8dnj-6Y

Genos Linux based firmware does not support touch functionality for external display - you have to use the built-in touch screen of Genos. You cannot touch the iPad/iPad Pro screen to control Genos.

Outputting Genos external display to laptop screen is much cheaper than iPad/iPad Pro at about $130: (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/elgato-cam-...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds)

I found that with an Elgato Cam Link USB 3.0 to HDMI dongle, we can easily display our Genos main screen to a Windows 10 laptop or a MacBook Pro notebook screen.

To output Genos display on to the laptop screen is quite straight forward:

Genos back USB port - Plugable USB 2.0 display adapter (or any USB 2.0 display adapter with HDMI output, based on the DisplayLink DL-165 / DL-195 chipset) - HDMI cable - Elgato Cam Link - Windows 10 laptop / Apple MacBook Pro.

I plugged the Elgato Cam Link (a USB 3.0 to HDMI dongle with an extension cord) into a USB 3.0 port of my touchscreen laptop. Since the Elgato Cam Link is a class compliant device, I did not need to install any driver for it. Windows 10 immediately recognized the Elgato Cam Link as a webcam when it was plugged in. The Elgato Cam Link became an available webcam, to the Windows 10 laptop. The Elgato Cam Link works on MacBook Pro as a webcam similarly.

I already had a Plugable USB 2.0 display adapter plugged into the back USB 2.0 port of Genos. I then connected a HDMI cable to the Plugable USB 2.0 display adapter's HDMI output on one end, and the Elgato Cam Link HDMI input on the other end. Then on the Windows 10 laptop, I ran the Windows 10 built-in "camera" app and click the camera choice icon on the top left of the camera app to choose Elgato Cam Link. Then the Genos screen was displayed on the laptop screen through the camera app as shown on the photo below.

I purposely put the Elgato Cam Link between the screen and the keyboard of the laptop so you can see it.

The Elgato Cam Link is very useful device - it can connect any camera, including DSLR, mirrorless, action cam, with HDMI output as webcam on your computer so we can use it in video chatting, recording etc. It also allows game consoles to display on the PC/laptop screen.

For Genos owners, many applications are made easier with Genos external display through the Elgato Cam Link to a laptop screen:
1. Workaround/solution for overhead lighting conditions.
2. Lyrics display for singers.
3. Live recording of Genos on-screen operations for tutorial / demonstration without camera shaking.
4. Easy screen capturing of Genos screen without having to press Break + Ending2 + Ending3 while booting Genos, and press the OTS4 button to capture screen - with the Elgato Cam Link we do not have to sacrifice the use of OTS4 button just for screen capturing.

Thanks,
Paul
Posted by: hammer

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 08:13 AM

I use an Ipad Pro since they came out for displaying
My leadsheets. It is truly awesome. I have used
UnrealBook and GoodReader and both work great.
Deane
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 12:06 PM

For years I have used my 3rd gen Ipad for lyrics and lead sheets with UnRealbook. While waiting for a USB host connection for my USB midi breath controller to arrive, I tried it on the Ipad and found all kinds instrument apps in the App Store. Thumbjam, korg Gadget and it's modules, to name a few. The midi connection is fast and solid, and the sounds are very good if you watch what you are buying. Tere are thousands of app; some good, some not so much.

Thanks Bachus.
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: Tablet - 11/25/18 12:23 PM

For the old-timers without all the fancy apps; I read about a guy who takes photos of his sheet music (I’ve collected 10-12 3 ring binders of ‘em over the years) with his older iPad, arranges play lists in ‘Albums’ then just clicks the album - photo(score/lyrics) he needs.
Ciao

Re: Tablet - 11/28/18 07:13 AM

Update. I brought this 2 in 1 laptop home from Best Buy. My wife thinks I should keep it. Not sure I’m ready to learn all the new technology. It has a whole new USB technology from what I’m used to. But it does about everything other than tuck you in at night.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga...p?skuId=6061400

Re: Tablet - 11/28/18 07:20 AM

Update. I brought this 2 in 1 laptop home from Best Buy. My wife thinks I should keep it. Not sure I’m ready to learn all the new technology. It has a whole new USB technology from what I’m used to. But it does about everything other than tuck you in at night.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga...p?skuId=6061400

For a 2 in 1 windows laptop it does not get much better in that price range..
Lenovo is whta used to be IBM pc division.

Re: Tablet - 11/28/18 07:44 AM

Tx Bachus. Good comment.

This laptop has more capability and power than anything I’ve owned in the past; and I’ve owned some nice towers and laptops...built my own towers and modified them as I wanted.

These days though, it seems like I’m spending more time learning how to use new technology to do the things I could easily do years ago with older technology....even though it was slower.

My Genos has(now ancient) USB 2 technology.

This new Lenovo laptop has (somewhat older) USB 3 technology and the now USB - C with Thunderbolt 3 technology.

The chance that my new Lenovo laptop could ever talk to my Genos is like a modern human talking to a Neanderthal.

I’ve embraced technology for years. Now I’m having trouble seeing the advantage in all this new technology to this old(me) Neanderthal.

😊

Re: Tablet - 11/28/18 07:59 AM

Tx Bachus. Good comment.

This laptop has more capability and power than anything I’ve owned in the past; and I’ve owned some nice towers and laptops...built my own towers and modified them as I wanted.

These days though, it seems like I’m spending more time learning how to use new technology to do the things I could easily do years ago with older technology....even though it was slower.

This new Lenovo laptop has (somewhat older) USB 3 technology and the now USB - C with Thunderbolt 3 technology.

The chance that my new Lenovo laptop could ever talk to my Genos is like a modern human talking to a Neanderthal.

I’ve embraced technology for years. Now I’m having trouble seeing the advantage in all this new technology to this old(me) Neanderthal.

😊

. Just plug your Genos usb in the usb3, its backward compatible and will work like a charm..

Keep in mind tough, that that your laptop is not set up for low latency audio, this requires specific drivers.. this is a typical windows shortcomming, but easy to overcome..
Posted by: abacus

Re: Tablet - 11/28/18 10:48 AM

Tx Bachus. Good comment.

😊

. Just plug your Genos usb in the usb3, its backward compatible and will work like a charm..

Keep in mind tough, that that your laptop is not set up for low latency audio, this requires specific drivers.. this is a typical windows shortcomming, but easy to overcome..

Actually Latency is not usually a problem in Windows these days since Microsoft introduced the WASAPI driver, (In some cases it is better than ASIO) so in all cases try both drivers to see which works best with the particular interface you are using.

Bill

Re: Tablet - 11/28/18 11:22 AM

Tx Bachus. Good comment.

😊

Actually Latency is not usually a problem in Windows these days since Microsoft introduced the WASAPI driver, (In some cases it is better than ASIO) so in all cases try both drivers to see which works best with the particular interface you are using.

Bill

Not usually... as in sometimes it is...
Espescially with build in soundchips...

Never have these problems on a mac..

But with the right mindset, i am sure you can get any hardware to work acceptable on windows. It indeed has become much better..

But i doubt he will ever run vsts and daw... but he might want to run all the lovely user created apps for yamaha, which all run on pc
Posted by: DAN.2000

Re: Tablet - 11/28/18 03:47 PM

We can play VSTi with vArranger and a simple mother board audio out. No latency for 97% of PC
Dedicated audio card has better converter and amplifiers
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Tablet - 11/30/18 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-Featuring-Android-Marshmallow-Operating/dp/B01GDBMJ7G

Tony, I purchased this 2 in 1 for my wife, but after I got it... I decided to keep it for myself grin

Now I have to get my wife something else... any ideas? And no more jewelry . shocked

Re: Tablet - 11/30/18 08:35 PM

Fur coat, Mercedes, a villa in Italy ???

Re: Tablet - 12/01/18 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By tony mads usa

Tony, I purchased this 2 in 1 for my wife, but after I got it... I decided to keep it for myself grin

Now I have to get my wife something else... any ideas? And no more jewelry . shocked

A cooking course?
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Tablet - 12/01/18 07:01 AM

Years ago, I got a nice used Cadillac for my wife ..... (wait for it) ....
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
not a bad trade, huh?!?
smile
Posted by: Terrysutt

Re: Tablet - 12/01/18 12:38 PM

Wife wants to know what her husband is buying her for Cristmas,the husband replies,nothing,you havent used the present I bought you last Christmas,I can`t remember what you bought me last Christmas,
so he hands her the deeds to a cemetery plot.

Re: Tablet - 12/01/18 05:29 PM

BA DA BOMP drums

grin