I now know why I'm not a Piano player or

Posted by: Dnj

I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/03/18 02:55 PM

I can see why someone would need 88 keys... cool2 confused2
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/03/18 04:34 PM

Great player and a fantastic entertainer.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/03/18 06:20 PM

This was one of my piano heroes, and a great comedian and entertainer as well.

Gary
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/03/18 09:14 PM

Great entertainment, got me in real good mood at the start of this day.
Tnx.
grin
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/03/18 10:31 PM

I saw the Liberace video a while back. I was quite intimidated at first. Then I noticed that he was only playing a standard blues riff on the right hand so that took some of the "intimidation" out of me. Now the left hand....him playing in the Key of F. I'm thinking "well, you just keep practicing that left hand riff until you get it down solid." So what initially "intimidated" me, once analyzed, he's not doing anything more than what many blues players do.

Before you rush to defense mode. I was just trying to take some of the "intimidation" out for anyone else who feels that way after watching it.

By coincidence, I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully to date)to master that same left hand riff for six months now. Ever since I watched this video.

I have a good piano left hand, but this riff is something I just can’t conquer. So I’m not downplaying what Liberace did with it by any means.

For the record, I'm a big Liberace and Victor Borge fan. Heck I even steal some of Victor Borge's jokes. But they are both exceptional pianists when they need to be. You can tell a lot of practice was done over many years to get to that level. If I'm correct, Victor Borge was originally a concert pianist? And Liberace was just plain a child prodigy.

Something else....I’m not sure if this just applies to me or to anyone. I learned this from a solid month of acoustic piano shopping. I must have played on nearly 100 pianos between all of the stores around here. Here’s something very important I learned (for me!).

The better the piano, the better one plays. That translates to: I make all kinds of mistakes at home on my wimpy upright with it’s not-so-good “touch.” In the piano stores, I’ve played on quite a few grand pianos: Bosendorfer’s and Steinways and even a Fagioli. There’s something about the keys on these monster pianos that just seems to hold your hands in place.......hard to describe but I find I make absolutely NO mistakes when I play on the grands. And the huge sound you get from these grands inspires you to play better also.

Luca is playing that Swanee on a grand. I’m wondering how much the instrument lends itself to his playing and makes it easier for him. That video is ancient now. He turned out to be a fine boogie woogie player as he got older.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 05:34 AM

Liberace was quite the showman. I’ve seen him in a now closed small venue (3300 seats) theatre in the round called the Warwick Musical Theatre in Rhode Island. There wasn’t a bad seat in the house. We had a great view of Liberace. With that said here’s some useless information smile Years back during college I tended bar in a restaurant that was nearby the Warwick venue. The owner of the restaurant Rose ( TonyMads knew her too) was a close friend of Liberace. She used to say his friends call him “Lee.” The year I tended bar there Lee was in town and Rose said she had about $10k to spend on redecorating her home. She asked Liberace to use his taste to decorate the home. As the story goes he didn’t spend Rose’s $10k instead used his own money about $50k and within 7 days had some major renovations completed.

Here’s a link with the history of the Warwick facility ( as I say mostly useless info)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Musical_Theatre

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 08:37 AM

My thoughts are if you don't start out from the beginning as a Piano player it is so difficult to adapt and be proficient later on after you have been playing something else, arranger kb, organ, or whatever...
Listening to just Piano playing after a while bores me as it's only the same sound I am hearing only the technic and style of playing Piano dynamics make it interesting to me to bear it if at all. And many times the audience feels the same way after an hour of just piano playing as the try to stay awake during sorry.. Liberace & many others make it pleasing to a point, but in general I need a mix of sounds being played to stimulate my senses. Just my thoughts

take care
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
My thoughts are if you don't start out from the beginning as a Piano player it is so difficult to adapt and be proficient later on after you have been playing something else, arranger kb, organ, or whatever...
Listening to just Piano playing after a while bores me as it's only the same sound I am hearing only the technic and style of playing Piano dynamics make it interesting to me to bear it if at all. And many times the audience feels the same way after an hour of just piano playing as the try to stay awake during sorry.. Liberace & many others make it pleasing to a point, but in general I need a mix of sounds being played to stimulate my senses. Just my thoughts

take care

Different strokes for different folks.. smile

A great piano player, playing the right material can be most interesting to appreciative musicians.. grin

Let me explain.. what apparently holds your interest are color sounds . I don't think you listen to detail or are not aware of some things.. smile

What separates the boys from the men on piano... "voicing" .. No not vocals grin

Not just dynamics in your playing, but how you voice a chord... yes both hands smile Most of the keys on a piano (real piano) use three strings as you strike a key... this is rich in overtones..

Combine the overtones with the smart voicing of a chord... and most musicians should not be bored so easily grin

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 09:29 AM

Yes I understand music appreciation from being in 100 piece orchestras all thru JHS and HS orchestras playing many large venues when I was younger on Alto Sax, Percussion Tympani etc,..besides keyboard, Drums, Bass, Guitar, Vocals too in bands...on many occasions I attended the Academy of Music to listening blindfolded headphone to Full orchestras perfroming as a
Final Semester test to pick out what instruments were playing different phrases within during the performances,...this made me a much better player learning the "as you say voicings or color sounds"
within a piece of music. That said yes Fran, I know what your talking about, ....but prolonged Piano alone just isn't my bag buddy.
again that's just me wink
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 09:51 AM

Too much of any instrument or type of music can bore us..

If I go to see/hear an act/show.... one or two sets and I had enough smile

Doesn't matter who or talent level, I just had it after an hour or so..

Sinatra, Elvis, Streisand , You , Dave, Kath, Just in Time.... There is a saturation point for me.. grin

Vocals will bore me quicker than instrumental.. I can listen to a piano, bass, drums and guitar jazz band.. the longest smile

Classic rock band not so much... and todays music (hip hop etc) NOT at all.. eek

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Too much of any instrument or type of music can bore us..

If I go to see/hear an act/show.... one or two sets and I had enough smile

Doesn't matter who or talent level, I just had it after an hour or so..

Sinatra, Elvis, Streisand , You , Dave, Kath, Just in Time.... There is a saturation point for me.. grin

Vocals will bore me quicker than instrumental.. I can listen to a piano, bass, drums and guitar jazz band.. the longest smile

Classic rock band not so much... and todays music (hip hop etc) NOT at all.. eek

At this stage of the game...Sometimes it's better to just close the door of your bedroom, fire up your keyboard, etc, and start playing by yourself drifting off into oblivion all by yourself
to Shangri-la.. cool2

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 03:01 PM

But the question is how does he play so good with those
Giant Diamond Rings on his fingers confused1
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 04:28 PM

Mark

I get it on the riffs being a lot of standard blues stuff but Liberace does it with such speed and precision. He had a protege "Linda Genteel" who settled near me when I was in Cape May. She had a steady gig in AC and I saw her ther a few times. She could do all the fancy runs and showy stuff like him. Really entertaining.
Not trying to sell you a digital piano but I too am working on some LH riffs ala Jeryy Lee Lewis. I find that changing my FP90 piano sound to a brighter piano makes it so much easier to play those riffs. Jerry Lee never liked grands and use to request an old upright. One, so he could beat it up and I think the second becasue the sound and action allowed him to play faster.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Listening to just Piano playing after a while bores me as it's only the same sound I am hearing only the technic and style of playing Piano dynamics make it interesting to me to bear it if at all.

Donny, your intense optimism and enthusiasm for things outside of your own circle of music overwhelms me. I don't think you would ever make it as a "muse." smile I would suggest you read more of what John (Bruno) has to say in his posts and maybe you'll feel differently.

Originally Posted By Dnj
And many times the audience feels the same way after an hour of just piano playing as the try to stay awake during sorry..

Are you kidding? There are many cultured people who spend hours on end mesmerized listening to good pianists showing their wares at piano recitals and concerts. It's the only instrument that can replicate a whole orchestra.

After my love for the piano, I developed a subsequent love for Opera very late in life. Never dreamed in a million years I could enjoy the Art in any way, much less sit through a three hour performance like Rigoletto or La Traviata like I do now. But, with an open mind , I took the time to listen to "beginner pieces" and Operetta, until I became a devout follower. I’m glad I never stayed oblivious to different genres of music. Opening yourself to various styles of music enhances you both as a musician....and, as a.....person!

Originally Posted By Dnj
Liberace & many others make it pleasing to a point

“to a point?” Liberace is an entertainment icon embraced by millions. An absolute legend. Probable one of the last of a great era for music and entertainment. Forget his mastery of the piano. His performances and personality alone should be studied by every musician who strives to be an entertainer. Not just a musician, but an “entertainer.“ He just did everything right in the Liberace domain. Shame he doesn’t do anything for you, but.....you're entitled to your opinion.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

I get it on the riffs being a lot of standard blues stuff but Liberace does it with such speed and precision.

Hi Bill.....that didn't come out right. What I meant was when I watched Liberace's ease of playing just about everything (and Lucas/Swanee River Rock), my thoughts became "what's the use...I'll never be that good." Then, my "fear" dropped down a notch or two when I started to think "maybe I could do that in just F,C, and G." And maybe, just maybe, that's the only keys Liberace plays boogie woogie in. I know Jerry Lee doesn't stray much from those keys, though I heard a great rock version of his of Sweet Georgia Brown (other chords).

Not trying to sell you a digital piano but I too am working on some LH riffs ala Jeryy Lee Lewis. I find that changing my FP90 piano sound to a brighter piano makes it so much easier to play those riffs.

That’s what I was trying to say about playing on a grand piano. For some, like myself and you, it’s....change the keyboard, change your life.

Jerry Lee never liked grands and use to request an old upright. One, so he could beat it up and I think the second becasue the sound and action allowed him to play faster.

Great trivia for Jerry Lee lovers!

Now how are YOU doing with the JLL piano riffs? I’m still working on them every day (about six months now).....it’s painfully slow and sometimes discouraging, but I’m determined to learn to play like him before I take my last breath. Actually, I was determined to play like him since Whole Lotta Shakin came out back in the 50’s but never got around to it until recently. If one could do what he does, you’ll draw an audience any place you play.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/04/18 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

A great piano player, playing the right material can be most interesting to appreciative musicians.. grin

What separates the boys from the men on piano... "voicing" .. No not vocals grin

Not just dynamics in your playing, but how you voice a chord... yes both hands smile Most of the keys on a piano (real piano) use three strings as you strike a key... this is rich in overtones..

Combine the overtones with the smart voicing of a chord... and most musicians should not be bored so easily grin

Wonderfully put, Fran. That's what I miss most about my piano lessons. Learning and experimenting with different chord voicings and chord structures. It was an adventure every day to see what I could come up with that would please my ear. I miss both the challenge and the sheer beauty of listening to "modified" chords. And those "overtones" floating through the air....indescribable!

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 05:31 AM

FYI............
Liberace was always going to be in showbiz
He became a pianist, vocalist, actor and WWF announcer (more on that later), but Liberace was born Władziu Valentino Liberace (or just "Lee" to his friends), which is a slightly more showy name than, say, Reginald Dwight.

Mind you, his older brother was called George, signalling that his parents knew they had to step it up name-wise if they wanted a showbiz breakthrough.

All the signs of his genius were there from an early age
Liberace was born with a caul, which, as you well know, is a piece of birth membrane that remains on the head and was thought to be an omen that the child was destined for amazingness. Other famous "caul-ists" include Lord Byron, Napoleon and, erm, James Iha, who used to be in the Smashing Pumpkins.

He wasn't exactly a classical music purist
A prodigious talent, Liberace learned to play the piano at the age of four and was able to memorise difficult classical pieces by the time he was seven. By the time he started touring America in the early 1940s, his flair for improvisation and a good pull quote emerged after he claimed he'd only play "classical music with the boring parts left out".

Like most musical megastars, Liberace struggled to make the move into film
At the height of his fame, Liberace was keen to move into film, starring in his first movie, Sincerely Yours, in 1955 for Warner Brothers. Rumours are that Doris Day was initially asked to be his leading lady, but the idea was scrapped because the studio felt Liberace's name alone would be enough to sell it. In the end the film performed so badly that Warner bought out the remainder of his contract.

He found a more receptive home on TV

Sign up for the Sleeve Notes email: music news, bold reviews and unexpected extras
Read more
Advertisement

Ignoring a career on the radio because no one could see him on the wireless, Liberace went straight to TV, landing his own show, prosaically called The Liberace Show, in 1952 (the show was broadcast in the UK and was apparently quite a big influence on a young Elton John). Perhaps his oddest TV appearance came in 1966 when he played a dual role as concert pianist Chandell alongside his evil twin, Harry, in the "slightly camp" TV version of Batman. The two episodes he starred in – The Devil's Fingers and Dead Ringer – were the highest-rated episodes in the show's history.

Liberace was adamant he wasn't gay and often sued people who claimed he was
With a penchant for ludicrous fur coats, diamanté-strewn two pieces and, at one point, a fetching purple rinse, Liberace hid his supposed heterosexuality well. In 1954 he announced his engagement to actress Joanne Rio, but the nuptials were swiftly curtailed by her father, who was put off by rumours about Liberace's sexuality. In 1959 the Daily Mirror referred to Liberace as "a deadly, winking, sniggering, snuggling, chromium-plated, scent-impregnated, luminous, quivering, giggling, fruit-flavoured, mincing, ice-covered heap of mother love". He promptly sued them, winning £8,000 in damages, and telling reporters he "cried all the way to the bank".

He wasn't comfortable with being bald
According to a TV documentary released in 2001, Liberace was so traumatised by his hair loss that he would sleep wearing one of his many hairpieces, and apparently once almost refused to undergo a planned facelift after the doctor asked him to remove his toupee.

He was apparently quite the fan of the World Wrestling Federation
In 1985 Liberace appeared as the guest timekeeper at the first ever WrestleMania, joining other guests Muhammad Ali and dance company the Rockettes. Wrestlers scoring wins on the night included the Junkyard Dog, André the Giant and Hulk Hogan.

He had his own museum
In 1978 Liberace opened his own museum, the Liberace Museum, which housed many of his pianos, cars, jewellery and costumes. At its peak, the museum brought in an average of 400,000 patrons a year. One specific exhibit was devoted to fan tributes and included a Steinway piano made out of 10,000 toothpicks. The museum closed in 2010.

Liberace's last meal was breakfast cereal
Liberace died on 4 February 1987 from an Aids-related illness. According to his cook, his last meal consisted of Cream of Wheat hot cereal (it's sort of like porridge), made with half-and-half milk and seasoned with brown sugar.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 06:41 AM

Chas
Working on a few,specific riffs slowly with a metronome. Then trying to lay down some RH stuff. Much more difficult then Jerry Lee makes it sound. I know I can do it but find it hard to sit down everyday and put some time in on it. And yes a good piano will inspire you and make playing totally enjoyabe.
I remember one of the best Baby Grands I ever played was at the Surburban Country Club in NJ. Only got to fill in there a few times but I actually told the manager that I liked playing that piano so much I'd play it for free. Ooops !
Posted by: cgiles

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 06:48 AM

Chas
Working on a few,specific riffs slowly with a metronome. Then trying to lay down some RH stuff. Much more difficult then Jerry Lee makes it sound. I know I can do it but find it hard to sit down everyday and put some time in on it. And yes a good piano will inspire you and make playing totally enjoyabe.
I remember one of the best Baby Grands I ever played was at the Surburban Country Club in NJ. Only got to fill in there a few times but I actually told the manager that I liked playing that piano so much I'd play it for free. Ooops !

Bill, I'm sure you meant Mark but yes, I agree with you that a great piano definitely has a positive impact on your playing.

chas

PS: I'm sure Mark is excited about being 'me' even briefly smile smile.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 06:56 AM

Well to get back to the OP Title.....
I'm so glad I am a pro arranger Keyboard player and proud to be one cool2

So we can all agree that PIANO PLAYER & ARRANGER KB PLAYER
are very much two different entities entirely in so many ways.
I fell so much better now wink

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 07:04 AM

Good stuff Donny
Damn I feel old as I remember seeing his TV show when I was very young.
I think that may have been one of my early influences that drew me to music.
One more trivia bit. One of Liberaces early gigs was at Pals Cabin in West Orange NJ.
Got to,see him once at the Garden State Arts Center. Memorable preformance.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 07:23 AM

Good stuff Donny
Damn I feel old as I remember seeing his TV show when I was very young.
I think that may have been one of my early influences that drew me to music.
One more trivia bit. One of Liberaces early gigs was at Pals Cabin in West Orange NJ.
Got to,see him once at the Garden State Arts Center. Memorable preformance.

Your very welcome Bill......and yes pal's cabin was a classic venue for so many superstars years ago.....
https://patch.com/new-jersey/livingston/pals-cabin-did-you-know-liberace-once-played-there

next time you in NJ Bill lets do lunch Again too! cool2

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 08:02 AM

Com'on Donny you just don't want lunch. You want me to bring my BK9 !!!

I'll let you know when we plan to get back up there. In the meantime keep bugging Fran. Tell him if he takes the BK out of the house you will provide security so no one steals it.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 08:06 AM

Com'on Donny you just don't want lunch.
You want me to bring my BK9 !!!

hahahahaha I can always buy Fran waffles & ice cream and try out his BK9.....but let me know for sure when your ready to get rid of one of your Bk9's by then I might still have the fever!! cool2

lunch on me wink

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
So we can all agree that PIANO PLAYER & ARRANGER KB PLAYER are very much two different entities entirely in so many ways. I fell so much better now wink

No.....they're not, Donny. A guitar and a saxophone are "two different entities." An arranger board and a piano are played the same way. Only difference being you don't sustain notes in the left hand when playing a piano. Which does make it difficult. It takes me sometimes 1-2 days in having to switch playing styles between arranger, piano, and accordion.

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/05/18 09:27 PM

I know I can do it but find it hard to sit down everyday and put some time in on it.

I hear you Bill. Between you and me, that's why I just can't seem to nail that one pattern. On top of that, I'm still working on the "walking bass." The WB is coming along but painfully slow.

The days of "having enough time" are gone, never to return. I think I'm going to have to face reality and give up on JLL riffs or Boogie Woogie patterns, or most likely both. I'd rather spend the time playing Musette accordion (even though that will never quite pay the bills).

Re: I now know why I'm not a Piano player or - 09/06/18 07:22 AM

Mark

Maybe don't ditch the Boog Maybe try them with both hands and then throw in some if your own licks and fills. Kinda two birds. The trick like anything else is slow but I'm too damn impatient. I never thought I'd need a metronome in a keybaord but use the FP90s all the time. Really shows you how off you can go with tempo.
Have fun with the accordion, a great niche to have mastered.