This is what I get to see nearly every day...

Posted by: travlin'easy

This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/25/18 05:21 PM

deer eating my beautiful flowers and shrubs.

Gary cool
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/25/18 05:40 PM

Lucky guy. Bueatiful view and yard.
Posted by: jingleman

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/25/18 06:29 PM

Gary, beautiful...all you need now is to be sitting in that chair!

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/25/18 06:53 PM

I sit in that chair a couple days a week, then head for Perryville, where I sit in another chair - the helm seat of my boat. smile

Unfortunately, the weather for the past 10 days has not cooperated - rain, rain, rain. When it clears, this old codger will be sailing to Saint Somewhere.

Gary cool
Posted by: Nigel

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/25/18 08:54 PM

That is beautiful. And I bet they are thanking you for providing them with breakfast.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/26/18 03:18 AM

Wow Gary,
1-Having an impact on helping Yamaha owners.
2-Being such an important part here on SynthZone.
3-Surounded by nature in your home.
4-A boat, a beautiful boat.
5-You have been a very successful professional O.M.B.

Gary you have every right to sit in your chairs wearing a big, big smile – you have earned it -- you have been blessed.
John C.

PS, do you carry any regrets?
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/26/18 03:56 AM

Gary,

Great video and relaxing scene!

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/26/18 07:40 AM

No regrets, John. I've done a lot of things in my life that others only dream of doing, but never do. My wife, Carol, tells everyone "our 55 year marriage has never been boring."

Gary cool
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/28/18 12:33 PM

I didn't realize that Forest Hill was in the country. We see the deer so much here in Mountain Home, Ark we dream of moving to the city and getting away from them. My daughter has hit 5 of them over the last 3 years. People get killed every year in deer accidents here.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/28/18 03:53 PM

Yeah, they're cute, BUT..,...when we lived in Pennsylvania we spent many hundreds of dollars trying to protect our plants from deer in the winter months....PLUS, both my wife and I (and half of our neighbors) contracted Lyme disease, carried by both field mice and deer, primarily deer. I like nature but prefer to do my deer watching at the zoo. BTW Gary, we also have (lots of) bears down here in north Georgia (we're right at the foot of the mountains) and we don't tempt them by putting up well stocked bird feeders which they seem to be particularly fond of smile. They (the deer) do make a pretty picture, though.

chas

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/28/18 05:27 PM

Chas, my bird feeder, which is a single 3-pound feeder, is situated 12 feet off the ground and can only be reached from my deck. I made the feeder squirrel, possum and racoon proof by electrifying the shepherds hook post that it hangs upon. It works fantastic and when a critter gets zapped, they never try to get to the feeder again. Apparently, they learn their lesson quickly.

As for Lyme disease, I contracted it more than 25 years ago, and unfortunately, it was improperly diagnosed by the internist who treated me. He thought the bullseye on my leg was the result of a spider bite, and ignored the other symptoms. I went 2 years without the proper treatment and by the time I was properly diagnosed, the disease had already done lot of damage. It now flares up on me every couple years, and I have to undergo a regiment of Doxycycline for about a month.

The disease is carried by field mice and is in their blood. The mouse spends a lot of it's life scurrying around in the grass, where black legged ticks reside (AKA Deer Ticks). The tick only lives 3 years, but during that time, it often climbs upon house pets and deer, all of which spend time on our lawns. Once the tick sucks the blood of the mouse, it is the carrier - not white tail deer. However, because white tail deer often spend time foraging on our lawns and shrubbery, they are easy prey for the ticks. Now, we often provide our pets with flea and tick collars, which do a pretty good job of keeping the ticks out of our homes, but deer don't have that luxury and the only thing that gets the ticks off the deer is the onset of winter. When temperatures fall to near freezing, the black legged ticks drop off their hosts and burrow in the ground to await the arrival of spring.

While we did have a black bear behind our home for a couple weeks, it didn't bother to come up for the dropped sunflower seeds from the bird feeder, but we frequently see wild turkeys foraging on the dropped seeds on our patio. Kinda neat to see them, some of which tip the scales at more than 20 pounds. We also see lots of red foxes, which have a den beneath our brush pile. They had 3 kits this spring, which were neat to watch playing on the lawn. Kinda like little puppies wrestling around with each other.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: cgiles

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/28/18 07:29 PM

Gary, go easy on the seasoning smile smile.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/667/meat-and-poultry/game-meats/venison/

chas

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 07/28/18 08:09 PM

Chas, several years ago, I wrote a cookbook with holes of self publishing. Just one of those things I never got around to doing, though. I have lots of venison and seafood recipes in it, and I'll be more than happy to email it to you.

Gary cool
Posted by: Nigel

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 08/02/18 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I made the feeder squirrel, possum and racoon proof by electrifying the shepherds hook post that it hangs upon. It works fantastic and when a critter gets zapped, they never try to get to the feeder again. Apparently, they learn their lesson quickly.

As for Lyme disease, I contracted it more than 25 years ago

Gary cool

Maybe getting rid of the possums backfired. They help reduce Lyme Disease. On average a possum consumes around 4,000 ticks each day. See https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/opossums-kill-ticks-inhibit-the-spread-of-lyme-disease/

Re: This is what I get to see nearly every day... - 08/03/18 07:13 AM

The possums are still here, just not raiding my bird feeder on a nightly basis. Instead, they're down on the patio slurping up the seeds that the birds drop and knock out of the feeder above on the deck.

Gary cool