my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz

Posted by: Mark79100

my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/12/18 09:50 PM

I was going over more of my old cassette tapes from the 90's and found this. It was done live using three keyboards. The strings are from the Roland U-20 (to my left) and the other lead sounds I programmed on my DX7 (and using it as my controller keyboard). That whistle at the end took me weeks of algorithm tweaking on the DX7 to get it to where it was just the way I liked it. I miss that "whistle."

Excuse the recording...it was done on a Sony portable recorder of that era....you know, the old ones the size of a laptop. I also had it in the back of the room. In those days I was playing most every day and learning new and different songs constantly.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/12/18 10:05 PM

Great timing and syncopation..
Posted by: bruno123

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/12/18 10:59 PM

Mark your classical touch is showing through. Very enjoyable --- I miss the great waltzes.

Thanks for posting, john C.
Posted by: sparky589

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/13/18 03:41 PM

My friends signature song..I must post...7:38..

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/13/18 10:00 PM

I like my version better.....it’s got more life to it and more “feel“.....and.....I was doing it all myself simultaneously using three keyboards (and two hands) without a whole band behind me.

If you were listening to me play it live, you would have sworn you were listening to an orchestra as at any given time I was combining sounds using both hands. I always got a lot of compliments on my arrangement of the Blue Danube whenever I did it live. smile

Thanks to Fran and Bruno for their own compliments. Sorry, Sparky, I didn’t impress enough to dig one up from you also,

Mark

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/14/18 09:21 AM

I am not knocking your version; everyone has their preferences. Fullness can be lost on tablet and computer speakers. I've witnessed Norbert play it many times by himself on midi accordion with superb orchestral emulation. My late friend specialized in Viennese music, which when done true to form, doesn't lend itself to much improvisation. Norbert was well known and sought after for it.

The Blue Danube was known to be his favorite song by family, friends, and fans. My respect for and memory of him preclude me from publicly performing it though I have been asked. So no one will hear me play it, which I consider a personal and honorable decision.

I posted the song for all to enjoy.

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/14/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By sparky589

I posted the song to show what synthesizers/arrangers are capable of doing.

Originally Posted By sparky589

When you go to the main Synthzone page, there's a tab in the upper left hand corner that says "new topic." It would have been more polite of you to have posted it there. That's called "protocol."

There's an unwritten rule (but not very often followed) among members that you show consideration for other people's posts and stay on topic or start your own topic. That's called "respect."

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/15/18 09:51 AM

Apparently the only one you have respect for on this forum is yourself. Posting another version of a song you did is not competition but you took it that way. You bristle at the notion another can be as or more talented than yourself. Your reaction is no surprise, as is your veiled notion of disrespect covering your conceit. You have repeatedly denegrated other musicians and rarely can compliment another, previously suggesting the entire state of New Jersey full of only sub par musicians, to you. No one disputes your talent, but you don't get respect by putting others down and yourself above them. Frequent and lengthy posts all about yourself attest to this, as does your need to pick fights from the safety of a keyboard terminal with senior respected members here. Perhaps instead of alternate topics, you should create a forum named after yourself, with your real name and maybe photo and make it all about you. This is not a place to contribute to your ego and need for acclaim.
And the greatest thing about my friend, is that he was humble and kind and didn't act anything like you..

Re: my (low quality) version of the Blue Danube Waltz - 07/15/18 11:34 PM

Sparky, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Now, please, re-read what I wrote about the "new topic" button and let me know what you think, or have you still not figured it out yet?

BTW, you remarked I write “frequent and lengthy posts all about myself.” Sparky.......do you actually think I’m the only member here who “writes about himself?“

Maybe you could try contributing a little more yourself, instead of chastising those who do!

For the record, I liked Norbert as a person and respected him as a musician.